Where do they keep the real Muppet puppets?

Pug Lover

Reaction score
christyb said:
You know what..Now that I think about it I wouldn't mind having one. I know it's an impossibility but hey I can dream right??
I'm with you christyb.I would have loved to have had some real muppets to play with as a child.Not the pale thick plastic puppet imitations from Matel.

pennyring

Reaction score
When we saw them at Disneyland, they were being toted around in these awesome black cases. It was like... a big black box... really ancient looking... you just knew the holy grail was inside. The boxes were maybe 2 1/2 feet long, 8 inches wide, by 8 inches high with a handle on top. There were metal protector thingies on the corners, also painted black. The boxes looked like they'd been around forever and definitely held a treasure. I'd guess they're kept at the Studios when not in use. :shrugs:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
pennyring said:
When we saw them at Disneyland, they were being toted around in these awesome black cases. It was like... a big black box... really ancient looking... you just knew the holy grail was inside. The boxes were maybe 2 1/2 feet long, 8 inches wide, by 8 inches high with a handle on top. There were metal protector thingies on the corners, also painted black. The boxes looked like they'd been around forever and definitely held a treasure. I'd guess they're kept at the Studios when not in use. :shrugs:
Yes when transporting and moving the puppets they go in some heavy duty cases to protect them, they are not always the nicest on the outside, but they do the job. It would be a shame if something were to damage them in trasport to a location, set, or event.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Right, first thing to get. Black-box-lid-flip-up-instant-opener from MuppetLabs.

christyb

Reaction score
And don't forget the Rubber Ducky filled with invisibility spray.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Numero uno... They make hundreds of these things, there's not just one of every character, espescially the big guns like GelflingWaldo pointed out. I read somewhere that in MIS they made and used SEVEN Kermits! So seeing as there is an actual Creature Shop on the Disney World premises, there are probably a few of the real Muppet puppets there (Location A).

Numero dos... dose? Ever read or see the book: "Jim Henson; The Works"? I used to think the puppets were elaborately displayed in bullet-proof glass cases with trip wire and lasers guarding them. But then I saw in said book, a picture of how they store the SS Muppets at their studio. They keep them loosley placed in (are you ready for this?) ... A FILING CABINET!!! There was Cookie, just hanging out of a filing cabinet drawer marked "Cookie Monster". Below him were some birds (puppet ones mind you) and a closed drawer that was marked "Vegetables". So, they are stored on location at the set of Sesame Street (Location B).

Numero tres... Finally, the people at Henson are wonderful people, honestly. I went to their website (www.henson.com) and found their contact info. I wrote and e-mailed them many times, saying "Love your work", "Keep up the legacy", "I have a suggestion", "What is Scooter" etc. etc. (okay, not the Scooter thing), and every time, they in some way, shape or form responded to me. Not always thorough answers and responses ("Thank you for the compliment", "We will always honor Jim's legacy", "Thank you for your suggestion, we'll consider it", "What the h*** do you mean 'what is Scooter?"), but a notable and kind effort. HOWEVER, I ask them about 'what's a guy gotta' do to get a real Muppet puppet'... no response (A guy can ask, can't he?) So what's the big secret? What magnificent mass of maniacal Muppet magic are men manifessting behind mosed moors, I mean; closed doors? I think the money pot is at the NY location on 627 Broadway (Location C).

Let's roll

christyb

Reaction score
I think we're gonna need a bus to carry everything in. I'm with you Vic let's go! LoL

Banjo Matt

Reaction score
No need.....right now we can see this.....Disney let it flew away....Rizzo For Real!!!!
Anyway, if you'll be able to made the raid, please leave me something (Zeke from the jugband or a 1st season gonzo) :smile: :rolleyes: . (Just sarcasm!)
See ya,
Matteo.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That is not real. I'm pretty sure of it.

Anyway, so if we could get some really good magnets, we could just attract the filing cabanets right out through the walls, no?

christyb

Reaction score
Hmmm...good idea. But first I call dibs on a kermit and a gonzo. maybe there's some way we could make them just go through the walls you know like a ghost??