Where do I start?

WiGgY

Reaction score
I want to make a Muppet type puppet but where do I start? I was thinking of carving it out of a big block of foam but what do I cover it with and stuff like that? Any help would be much appreciated.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Hi!

Take a look at my guide, the link is in my signature.

/Anders

Luke

Reaction score
There are also puppetry classes and companies in lots of different areas. Maybe you can get some experience or info from that and your local library might tell ya !

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There are also some good patterns available that - while not perfect - will get you off on the right foot.

One basic free pattern is available here. I'd recommend ignoring the instructions about the weird paperclip/button thing on the hand though. A very similar "starter" pattern can also be found over here.

Good luck!

BorkBork

Reaction score
you could also buy the foam book, which explains thinks in a good way. you can go buy it on www.amazon.com

or you could go to www.armslength.com and buy the "creating custom puppets" video. It's a really good video by David Pannabecker.

/Anders

WiGgY

Reaction score
Cool thanks.

I don't really want to take a class though. I'm more like a trial and error type learner. I've made two puppets before that came out ok but now that I'm a little older and a little wiser I want to see if I can make a huge one. Is the foam carving thing a good idea or should I try it the way Bork Bork did and use flat foam to make a 3d head? Personally I want to try carving the foam

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've never been in to carving foam, but that's just my preference. Most of our puppets are patterned out of sheets of 3/4" and 1" foam. If you are going to carve, check your Yellow Pages to see if there are any Foam Stores in your area where you can buy a block of foam. Some dressmaking supply stores also sell blocks of foam, usually about 1 ft. cubed.