When you need to rant...

cjd874

Reaction score
I have nothing good to say about our American fast food obsession. Not even the film "Super Size Me" could keep people away from it, as the obesity epidemic is still getting out of hand. And nearly everyone is guilty of contributing to the fast-food craze. It's just sad.

I would like to change the topic to the Billboard Awards of 2013. Biggest waste of time ever. The only good parts were the first song with Bruno Mars' 1970s funk throwback, and the final song with Prince and his band tearing it up. HATED everything else in between. I hated Taylor Swift's prerecorded intro to "22" where she's skipping around the backstage area without sounding out of breath, Madonna's boring and convoluted speech, Miguel accidentally taking out a female fan with his leg as he jumped from the stage to the runway, all the lip-synching and pretentious stage productions, and ESPECIALLY Justin Bieber's arrogant award speech: "I'm not a gimmick, I'm the real thing, I'm a real artist." Well prove it then. The artists who last the longest are the ones who have the longest legacy, like the Beatles and the Stones. Even modern pop artists like Adele, Maroon 5, Coldplay, and Lady Antebellum have proven themselves to be real artists. Bieber is going to be either a faint memory or a crazy, burnt-out, mental case in five years' time. Mark my words.

mr3urious

Reaction score
First it was Biebs' comment on Anne Frank, and now this. The last bit of respect I had for him went down the drain.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Just like I mentioned last year. Ya wanna be an artist? Pay your dues first. Be true to yourself first. Look at John Lennon. Bob Dylan. Neil Young. Van Morrison (how far do I need to go?)
And before you get delusional to consider yourself an artist, wait at least until you're old enough to buy beer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. Other countries don't consume tons of fried foods or junk food, yada-yada-yada.
Not quite. They just have a better balance of exercise, and a better over all work and school culture. I find it absolutely crazy that we have the most banal snack foods and fast foods and we're the unhealthy ones. The most variety we get is maybe a dozen flavors of Doritos. Meanwhile, our Kit Kats are available in one flavor. Japan has a better McDonalds menu, and we get finger wagged if we have cheese stuffed crust pizza when other countries have hamburgers and hotdogs in them. Why is no one whining about that?

And we are the country with deep fried bacon :/
Why is no one going after that, either? We do NOT need to put bacon on everything, nor do we need to deep fry things that shouldn't be. We all have to suffer having Dixie cups full of soda and smaller portions only for people to deep fry butter.

I have nothing good to say about our American fast food obsession. Not even the film "Super Size Me" could keep people away from it, as the obesity epidemic is still getting out of hand. And nearly everyone is guilty of contributing to the fast-food craze. It's just sad.
Except Super Size Me is poopoo. It's nothing more than an exploitation flick that basically says nothing no one already knows. Junk Food isn't good for you? What a concept! It's not like it was called mother's milk in the first place. It's closer to MTV's Jack%$$ than any serious discussion. It's all about irresponsibility and thin well to do hipsters who smoke and drink crying about anyone else having a vice.

Fast food/junk food gets too much blame in the obesity hypodemic. Offices treat workers like slaves, they can't take any time off when they're sick, so there goes health there... you have to work through lunch, and you spend the entire day sedentary, yet come home tired because of stress. Meanwhile, schools can't have recess anymore because we have to compete with countries that have different education standards (yet still let kids move), and even if they did, there's nothing but fear of lawsuits and sexual harassment. Not to mention no funding for gym classes. Nope... kids have to sit still and take test after test so schools can get funding. Funding that goes back into having to take tests.

The obesity problem is vast. It's a matter of poverty and culture that transcends just what people eat. There are big changes that need to be made all over... but hey, just go after the food industry. They're easier than telling corporate offices to force workers to have a freaking half hour of exercise paid. That's why every other country in the world is healthier.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I saw a commercial today for an outdoor equipment/patio store trying to hawk their latest model of above-ground pools. They said it was perfect for having a "staycation". How could any company use that word in a commercial and respect themselves afterwords? No one says "staycation".

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Not even the poor people that can't afford to go away say "staycation".
Which begs the question, if you do happen to be on a "staycation", and you sleep over at a friend's house, does your staycation end?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't been on a vacation in eleven years, so I guess my whole life has been one never-ending staycation?

cjd874

Reaction score
So I watch The Voice on NBC. It's that singing competition show with four famous musicians (Adam Levine, Shakira, Usher, & Blake Shelton) who serve as judges and coaches. What bugs me is: how did the Swon brothers manage to beat out Judith Hill, Sara Simmons, AND Sasha Allen?! Is country music really becoming that mainstream? Are there hordes of teenage girls voting twenty times for these young guys? Or is Blake Shelton just that good at finding & nurturing talent? I can't get my mind around it at all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw a commercial today for an outdoor equipment/patio store trying to hawk their latest model of above-ground pools. They said it was perfect for having a "staycation". How could any company use that word in a commercial and respect themselves afterwords? No one says "staycation".
Staycation is a euphemism cooked up by marketing departments for "the economy took a huge dump on the middle middle working class and under." They got paid more to make that word to sell cheap crap than it would cost to give everyone who had to take a staycation an actual vacation.