When did you first hear about the internet?

Xerus

Reaction score
When did you all first hear about the internet?

I remember when we were watching the 94 Olympics, the announcers said they were getting e-mails from all sorts of fans. My family and I kept wondering what e-mail was.

And then on some TV shows, I learned about the words internet and cyberspace and I was thinking that these are just things only a computer whiz knows about. And I wouldn't be able to understand how it all works. I remember taking a computer class in high school back in 89 and it was hard to figure out.

Then on Christmas of 95, we got ourselves a new computer. Once Dad hooked it up, I suddenly discovered the internet and how it works. And then later, I learned how to send e-mails, and after that, how to make a webpage. It was like a whole new world entered our lives

Censored

Reaction score
I started out with something similar to the internet, called "Bulletin Board System" where you could use a computer modem to connect to local groups in your area that had forums about particular topics. It was mostly all text and very small scale compared to the internet, but it was interesting for its time and probably started my interest in the internet.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I forget when I first "heard" about the internet, but I didn't get the internet until 1998, when my family got our first computer. The first thing I did? Looked for Cow and Chicken websites.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
1989 I Was On Prodigy

Mostly Text And Bullention Boards We Talked Simpsons And I Looked For Sports News Fast Then The Paper

My Friend And I Got On Every Day During The Summer

AP NEWS WIRE

I GOT A COMPUTER IN 1987 BUT WAS NOT ON THE INTERNET TILL pRODIGY

G-MAN

Reaction score
I first heard a little bit in 6th grade, in 1996, and then I found out more around 8th or 9th grade, and we first got our computer in either 1999, 2000, or 2001, I can't remember, lol

Whatever

Reaction score
I don't remember when I first heard about it. It was probably through my dad. I got my first e-mail in '95 or '96.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My Computer/Internet Timeline....

1995: Our first "computer". Actually, it was more like a type-writer with a screen.
1996: I first hear about "the internet".
1998: We get our first actually computer, that is internet ready. I do my first internet surfing, and my first printing.
2001: I get my first e-mail, and join my first "message board".
2002: I write my first fanfiction, and join my first "forum".
2003: I join my first Yahoo! Group.
2005: I launch my first website. I start my first personal forum. I have my first Instant Message.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
1997-1998, I believe. But for a good 2-3 years after that I never really understood it/used the internet on a regular basis.