What's Your Favorite Sesame Street Parody?

fozziefan

Reaction score
Through the years, Sesame Street has parodied many different celebrities, songs, and t.v. shows. Which one is your favorite?

Mine would have to be the sketch with Cookie Monster where he decides to write a letter to his favorite cookie. As he starts to write, he goes into a parody of "You Made Me Love You". This is taken from the MGM musical "Broadway Melody" in which Judy Garland sings "Dear Mr. Gable/You Made Me Love You" as she's writing a letter to Clark Gable. This cracked me up the first time I saw it just because I'm such a huge Judy fan. It was definitely one of those sketches that was meant to appeal to adults as much as kids since I'm sure not many preschoolers know who Judy Garland and Clark Gable are.

ssetta

Reaction score
I think mine would have to be one of the 80s musical groups. But I love The Beetles "Letter B"!!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That's kind of tough. I like a lot of the musical parodies. One of my top ones has to be "Born to Add", a great parody of Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run", as well as "Barn in the USA", a cool parody of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA". This has been done with older groups and more modern groups, like The Goo Goo Dolls' "Slide" that got turned into "Pride" and REM's "Shiny Happy People" that got turned into "Furry Happy Monsters". Of the two, I think I like the REM song better.
Of course, the Muppets in general have done quite a lot with The Beatles. If not actually doing parodies (like the aforementioned, "Letter B"- parody of "Let It Be" - awesome song by the way), a lot of times the original songs were performed.

Octopus' Garden (both on SS and TMS)
She Loves You (I think maybe just on TMS, but I may be wrong)
Obla Di Obla Da (I know on TMS, maybe on SS too)
Yellow Submarine (SS)
In My Life (TMS - one of my favorite Beatles' songs!)
While My Guitar Lies Gently Weeping (TMS)

and probably some others I forgot.

Anyway, there was also sort of a parody of The Rolling Stones' "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction" called "(Can't Get No) Co-operation)" - it was pretty good.
And there's a great parody of Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" performed by Chris and the Alphabeats called "Eight Balls of Fur"!

Beyond musical parodies, there's also been a few of TV shows and movies, celebrities, etc.

Colambo = Columbo
Polly Darton = Dolly Parton
Meryl Sheep = Meryl Streep
Placido Flamingo = Placido Domingo
Dr. Feel = Dr. Phil
Trash Gordon = Flash Gordon

One of my favorites was "The Six Dollar Man", a sketch where Kermit interviewed a professor who had invented a robotic man on six dollars but it kind of fell apart at the end, and Kermit was left with the rejoinder from the prof. "What do you expect for six bucks?"

I liked it as a child, and now that I've actually seen "The Six Million Dollar Man" - the show it was parodying - I like it even more! :smile:

maxdrive

Reaction score
i thought Dr. feel was funny especaly when he got into the aurgument with Dr. phil.

GonzoLeaper said:
That's kind of tough. I like a lot of the musical parodies. One of my top ones has to be "Born to Add", a great parody of Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run", as well as "Barn in the USA", a cool parody of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA". This has been done with older groups and more modern groups, like The Goo Goo Dolls' "Slide" that got turned into "Pride" and REM's "Shiny Happy People" that got turned into "Furry Happy Monsters". Of the two, I think I like the REM song better.
Of course, the Muppets in general have done quite a lot with The Beatles. If not actually doing parodies (like the aforementioned, "Letter B"- parody of "Let It Be" - awesome song by the way), a lot of times the original songs were performed.

Octopus' Garden (both on SS and TMS)
She Loves You (I think maybe just on TMS, but I may be wrong)
Obla Di Obla Da (I know on TMS, maybe on SS too)
Yellow Submarine (SS)
In My Life (TMS - one of my favorite Beatles' songs!)
While My Guitar Lies Gently Weeping (TMS)

and probably some others I forgot.

Anyway, there was also sort of a parody of The Rolling Stones' "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction" called "(Can't Get No) Co-operation)" - it was pretty good.
And there's a great parody of Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" performed by Chris and the Alphabeats called "Eight Balls of Fur"!

Beyond musical parodies, there's also been a few of TV shows and movies, celebrities, etc.

Colambo = Columbo
Polly Darton = Dolly Parton
Meryl Sheep = Meryl Streep
Placido Flamingo = Placido Domingo
Dr. Feel = Dr. Phil
Trash Gordon = Flash Gordon

One of my favorites was "The Six Dollar Man", a sketch where Kermit interviewed a professor who had invented a robotic man on six dollars but it kind of fell apart at the end, and Kermit was left with the rejoinder from the prof. "What do you expect for six bucks?"

I liked it as a child, and now that I've actually seen "The Six Million Dollar Man" - the show it was parodying - I like it even more! :smile:

tutter_fan

Reaction score
You know what? It'd be seriously funny as heck if all the cartoon characters (like Typewriter guy) became muppets!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
my favorites

Although it's been a long time since I have seen them, my favorite parodies are Squeel of Fortune and the Miami Mice sketches. I also like (I can't get no) co-operation and Born To Add, as well as the Monsterpiece Theatre segment Chariots Of Fur.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot Monsterpiece Theatre! That was a great one, with Alistair Cookie!!! They did all kinds of parodies of great movies- "Chariots of Fire", "The Sound of Music", "The King and I", etc.

I totally remember "Squeel of Fortune" with Pat Playjacks (I think that was the name of the host). That was a good one.
Remember- "Eel of Fortune" is next door! :smile:

And Miami Mice was another cool parody!!! And what about the "Twin Peaks" parody - Twin Beaks? Does anyone else remember the mystery tales segments with "Vincent Twice, Vincent Twice"? I think Sherlock Hemlock might have shown up in these too. I used to love watching those.

JEANYLASER

Reaction score
what's your favorate sesame street parody?

my favorate sesame street is this frog that song is to sing along with. and also the hurricane that hit sesame street.

the joy of the lord is our strength.