Reaction score
A: tale of Ant and Archer
B: song "B is for Bubble"
C: "C is for Cookie"
D: (tie) "Daddy Dear", "the D building"
E: surreal cartoon from 1969 "see me eating a peach..."
F: Frances the Fairy
G: Grover and the Growing G
H: (lost classic) Bert trying to watch TV; a repetitively flashing "H" is all he sees
I: dot tries to jump on top of lowercase "i" and is scared away everytime
J: (tie) "J--jacket" (animated), song "J Friends" (J, Joe, Jeans and his jelly beans...)
K: Pink panther demonstrating "karate"
L: "La-la-la-la" (B&E)
M: "The M who Came to Dinner"
N: ant carrying a capital "N" but doesn't know where it belongs
O: surreal sketch similar to "E" described above ("..closer to the bulldozer, which closed up the hole so the cold wind could not blow...")
P: abstract animation showing a 3-dimensional "P" on an island with a setting sun in background
Q: "O with a tail"--animated sketch featuring voice of either David Connell or Jim Thurman (both CTW producers, who also did cartoon voices for Square One TV)
R: black woman with afro drops an "r" under the hood of her car to make it go
S: girl inflates balloon shaped like capital "S", but pump comes loose, making it a lowercase "s"
T: "television"--voiced by Casey Kasem; a conductor on TV turns his volume off
U: (animated) ends with "anyone wanna buy a used 'U'?"
V: "you forgot your vitamins!" ("Vitamins-Vitality-Vim-Vigor")
W: Bert's "W" lovers' song
X: batik illustrations of "X" with dreamy music playing
Y: (forgotten?) a pet "Y" named "Yolanda"; her owner thought she'd like to eat a yo-yo ("Yecch!")
Z: "Zig-Zag-Zip-Zoom (?)" sung sung by furball muppets

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Those furball Muppets who performed the song about the letter Z are named the Zizzy Zoomers, and you can find the song on the Muppets Alphabet Album.

As for your "H" choice, I was wondering when someone else other than me would post that forgotten favorite! However, wouldn't you have to attribute that one to both the letters H and I, since after Ernie fixed the TV it stopped flashing the letter H repeatedly and changed to flash a letter I continuously?
That one's for you, man, since you're the first to remember that sketch.

BTW: Here a few of my favorites after going through the lists from other people.
B: Song, "Letter B" performed by the Beetles.
q: Song: "The Q Question Song" sung by an AM girl and Grover.
E: Letter of the Day pageant with Guy Smiley where he sings to the letter E as their winner.
T: The sketch where Gordon and Susan go to a grouch night club and end up dancing the Trashcan Tango, and win a letter T-shaped trophy.
U: Tie: Song, "U Really got a Hold of Me" sung by Smoky Robinson, Happy Birthday to U with Bert and Ernie, "I Get a Kick out of U" sung by Ethel Mermaid, and "Under the Spell of U" sung by the Beetles.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

rjschex

Reaction score
The Count said:
As for your "H" choice, I was wondering when someone else other than me would post that forgotten favorite! However, wouldn't you have to attribute that one to both the letters H and I, since after Ernie fixed the TV it stopped flashing the letter H repeatedly and changed to flash a letter I continuously?
That one's for you, man, since you're the first to remember that sketch.
I believe that one was taken out of circulation because of Ernie trying to do repair work on the TV set--a very dangerous job.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Count said:
Yes, those are the limerick segments for those two respective letters. There's also:
L, Lion.
M, Moon.
B, Beard.
C, Cat (not rully a limerick but it's part of the series).
D, Dog.
F, Face (same deal as C, Cat).
J, Jaguar ( a jigsaw puzzle fills itself in piece by piece until you see the jaguar in the jungle scene).
K, Kangaroo.
P, Penguin.
Q, Quarter.
R, Rhinoceros.
T, Tortoise or is it Turtle?
V, Violin.
W, Witch.
Y, Yak.
I forgot Penguin. I wish they'd show it again, or someone could tell me more.

Lion, I presume is the one where the Lion's head comes out of a window and shouts something like, "Needle Nidel Noo, and a Sticky Stacky Stew." and goes back to bed.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Drtooth wins the gold star.
L Lion.
There once was a lion named Ned.
Who stuck his head out the window and said.
"Needle, nighdle,o.
Sticky, stacky, stew."
And then he went back to bed.

P Penguin.
There once was a penguin named Cleo.
Who floated on an iceberg to Rio.

(Sorry, but I can't recall the middle verses offhand, I'll post again after watching the segment on one of the VCD's I got from Justin.)

And she was left to swim in the sea-o.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember the penguin now, (Just not the middle... sorry Count)

I was always confused by the lion. It was either "A Sticky Stacky Stew" Or "A Ticky Tacky, too"

That big old lion head poping out used to creap me out.

I wonder if Imagination Inc. or whatever (same company as Pinball Number Count) did the Limeric series as well. Looks the same.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You're soooo right Drtooth. The nonsense lines uttered by Ned the Lion in the limerick was "Ticky, tacky too" and not "Sticky, stacky, stew."

Soul H

Reaction score
ssetta said:
And don't forget Smokey Robinson's "U Really Got A Hold On Me". Anyone remember that?
I remember that. It scared the bejeebies out of me.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
The Count said:
All right, we have a thread where we can post our favorite recitations of the alphabet and our favorite number-related songs and sketches from Sesame. But how's about your picks for favorite letter-related sketches or songs?

Here's a few of mine:
"Letter B" by the Beetles
"C is for Cookie" by Cookie Monster
"Dee, Dee, Dee" by Ernie and Cookie Monster
Daddy D
Letter of the Day Pageant with Guy Smiley and E
"Oh G", "Two G Sounds", and the Growing G
The letters H, O, and R being pulled up the side of a tall building, though they were only two letters short from wining a game of Horse.
"I Stand up Proud and Tall" by Grover
"We All Live in a Capital I"
"J Friends"
The Pink Panther karate chopping a block of cement to form a K
"La, La, La" by Bert and Ernie
"M Monster Meal" by Cookie and Herry Monster
The Story of Nancy the Nanny Goat
"Would You Like to Buy an O?" by Ernie and Lefty
The Q Questions song

"The Sound of the Letter S" by Sammy the Snake, the striped snake.
The Snakes Sunday holiday
The sketch where six S-named vehicles appear one by one, and then all together side by side until they blurr away.
Happy Birthday to U, with "U Really Got a Hold on Me" a close second
The National Gathering of Fellow W Lovers, led by Bert
The episode dedicated to an X-muppet, including Sherlock's appearance on What's My Line game show. Also "X Marks the Spot" by Sherlock Hemlock and "How I Miss my X" by Patty LaBelle.

The Zizzy Zoomers, "ZZ Blues" by Over The Top, and the Zig-Zag-Zig song.
Here's one I forgot" The Story of The King and the K.

So, what are your choices? Have a great week.
The Killer of Threads, the Count.
i don't think anyone mention this V cartoon with the 2 men standing on the opposite sides of a big orange V 1st man said this this a V the 2nd man, a tree? 1st man no V. it's a letter of the alphabet. this was a wierd, stupid, but funny scetch. it was just theese 2 silly men talking and no words beginning with v were mentioned. iwth Bert and the national association of W lovers, the part were everyone sings the club song, it would of been so funny when Bert began to weeve from side to side it's not any trouble you know it's a W when you hear the W sound woooooh. you figure it out.now i azzzume when you say ziizy zoomers your referring to the funny looking guys who are singing zoom zoom zig zag zoom zoom zap?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if you read through the posts here in the thread you'd know that yes those are the guys. The Zizzy Zoomers are a group of furry furball-type Muppets who sang that classic Z-song "Zoom Zoom Zap"
Please pardon me if the song's name is incorrect, I don't know it off-hand.
And there's such a vonderful wealth of other alphabet-related sketches and songs to choose from. So what are yours?