What's wrong with kids today?

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
On Friday CTS in Toronto was showing the Don Knotts episode of TMS and of course I had it on all the TV's at work, because it's bright and colourful, draws attention to the TV's, and, um, I may be taping it for myself. Anyway, 2 small boys (I'm guessing between 7 and 10 years old) come running into my department (something else that grabbed my attention, by the way, since I was never allowed to run in department stores when I was a kid) and see that the show is on. It happened to be on the scene where Rowlf sings "What A Wonderful World" to the little sleeping puppy (AWWW!) and I hear these kids say "What in the heck is this movie? It sure looks stupid!" Then one of them goes over to one of the larger screens, calls to the other kid to get his attention, and goes "POW" as if to beat on the little puppy. They got quite a kick out of this.

First of all, why does everything nowadays have to be a "movie" to keep kids' attention. Second, since it wasn't animated violence, they had no interest in it whatsoever! I'm afraid that once my daughter goes to school, she'll be made fun of for watching SS and TMS at home and *gulp* LIKING IT! And don't tell me that "well, they're boys" crap, because while TMS was on it was my favourite (and lots of other peoples' favourites at my school and in my class) show! I wouldn't want kids to have to concentrate on anything for more than 28 nanoseconds or anything. It may just make them think or something.

later
eric

Marble Didymus

Reaction score
It's because they're ungrateful little you know whats. It's probably because it wasn't Dragon Ball Z or some crap anime like that. (not that all anime is a bad thing, but still.................). Parents today also don't tell their kids right from worng, so they think that's ok.

I hate little kids anyway.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Hey, I'm 11 and I like the Muppets, and so does Cody(a.k.a. SamEagle 000).But besides Cody B.,Jemery,Zack and Scott(in my class last year)everyone thinks it's Sesame Street! Those little....THEY WANTED TO WATCH "SPIRIT" INSTEAD OF "MUPPETS FROM SPACE"!!!!!! :mad:...... :cool: .......... :smile: .....I'm okay now.....

- :sympathy:

Mr. mad-as-heck-but-not-any-more-because-I-calmed-down Penguin

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Most kids are just not exposed to the Muppets anymore. And it's not because they're not out there. Parents just automatically assume it's the type of thing you have to grow out of. My dad's a bit like that, not too much though. It's a mind-set. Once you reach a certain age, you HAVE to stop liking that sort of thing, and you HAVE to start liking football. It's a sad truth, but there it is.

Whatever

Reaction score
Yay, I am glad that someone else is sticking up for the kids! Kids are kids, and a lot of them love Muppets. Like my 12 year old brother. Some don't. Which is also okay. It's a free country. But they are missing out on a lot!

Marble Didymus

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Most kids are just not exposed to the Muppets anymore. And it's not because they're not out there. Parents just automatically assume it's the type of thing you have to grow out of. My dad's a bit like that, not too much though. It's a mind-set. Once you reach a certain age, you HAVE to stop liking that sort of thing, and you HAVE to start liking football. It's a sad truth, but there it is.
*sniffles* That was beautiful.

My family is like that. My mom, my dad, my brother, my ex step father. I blame them all for my lack of a real imagination. As I mentioned in another post, my mom had a fit when I asked for the Muppet Movie for my birthday. My freaking birthday. Her comment: I feel odd by my xx year old son the Muppet Movie.

I'm glad I'm adopted and not really related to these people.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:

Same here Scoot. My dad has the same meaning of what u said but hes over that now he knows he can't change his son but now my sis is thinking like he did a while back. I told my sis that we were going to do a display at Goodwill w/ the peanuts gang on Halloween (since we do something every year for each hoilday) and my nince took my Snoopy doll I bought at Goodwill and she goes "Gosh! Why r u worring about a stupid toy." and then I told her I was going to dress up for halloween since we were last year (I did but know one else did but since I couldn't work around my costume I had to take it off, it happend to a work the year before that but she didn't have to take hers off)
So told I would dress up as Snoopy as WW1 ace and then she said,"How about u go as a 22 year old who still acts like a 10 or 6 year old." Man she made me mad. But thats how she it but she still understands she likes a couple of cartoons. But hey were just as good as the next person. We'll just be cool parents to our kids. They'll think my dad watches cartoons and has toys so I'm just like him. Hope that tell everyone here that Kids r just kids and parents didn't grow up in the same year we did or we wouldn't have been born. I put my two cents in or might i say 1.00. :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:

Same here Scoot. My dad has the same meaning of what u said but hes over that now he knows he can't change his son but now my sis is thinking like he did a while back. I told my sis that we were going to do a display at Goodwill w/ the peanuts gang on Halloween (since we do something every year for each hoilday) and my nince took my Snoopy doll I bought at Goodwill and she goes "Gosh! Why r u worrying about a stupid toy." and then I told her I was going to dress up for halloween since we were last year (I did but know one else did but since I couldn't work around my costume I had to take it off, it happend to a work the year before that but she didn't have to take hers off)
So told I would dress up as Snoopy as WW1 ace and then she said,"How about u go as a 22 year old who still acts like a 10 or 6 year old." Man she made me mad. But thats how she it but she still understands she likes a couple of cartoons. But hey were just as good as the next person. We'll just be cool parents to our kids. They'll think my dad watches cartoons and has toys so I'm just like him. Hope that tell everyone here that Kids r just kids and parents didn't grow up in the same year we did or we wouldn't have been born. I put my two cents in or might i say 1.00. :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
We'll just be cool parents to our kids. They'll think my dad watches cartoons and has toys so I'm just like him. :smile:
either that or the government will refuse to allow us to procreate. :stick_out_tongue:

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
ive become really anti-everything new...i remember the last few years i was able to watch ss (while i was still keeping school hours..), i was a bit dissapointed that alot of the new sketches were computerised and 'new' looking.

in the past ive tried to make my neices and nephews watch my old muppet movies. at first they are sickened by the suggestion, but end up begging to watch them over and over again...there may be hope for the younger generation yet. :wink:

when it comes to 'stuff', new doesnt necessarily mean better.