What's up with that?

EmmyMik

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I was watching one of our copies of The Great Muppet Caper. We recorded it off of HBO in the mid '80s I guess (on that same tape we have Follow that Bird, also recorded from HBO). I noticed that during the movie some of the dialogue was cut as well as Dr. Teeth singing "Night Life" (the musical part was still there, there was just no singing!). I watched the 1993 release (I can't remember which company, and I don't really care), and I what was missing from the other version was included. So I want to know...

A) What is up with that?
B) Has anyone else noticed this?
C) Has this happened to any of the other Muppet movies?

scarecroe

Reaction score
Hi Emmy,

Maybe the stereo was recorded or broadcast improperly for Night Life? My downstairs TV has a loose connection that causes issues with stereo. Sometimes when watching "Elmo's Musical Adventures: Peter and the Wolf," when Zoe plays the piano, I don't hear the piano; or in Great Muppet Caper, when Kermit and Chucky Grodin are singing in the corners of the screen I can only very faintly hear Kermit because of the way the stereo was mixed at that part.

On the other hand, in the 1999 VHS release of Manhattan, Polyester Kermit's panting outside the producer's door was cut, Animal's panting above Dabney Coleman's door is cut, and Piggy's panting during the chase after Kermit and Jenny scene is cut. Perhaps someone at CTHV found their panting a little too lewd? Apparently they never saw the Billy Crystal episode of Muppets Tonight :wink:

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Hey Emmy-

I have an old copy of GMC taped off the Disney channel from probably 1987/88/89. I've noticed that too, and there are quite a few other scenes (like the ending where Piggy crashes through the stainglass window and attacks Charles Grodin) where you can't hear the music at all. In that scene, all I can hear is Piggy's screams. In a later version of the movie, you only hear the music ("Muppets to the Rescue" on the soundtrack, I believe) during that scene.

If I remember correctly, my old version has almost no music during "Night Life" as well. Same with that scene during "Piggy's Fantasy" with Kermit and Grodin in the corners.

I think they just were able to restore the movie's soundtrack much better come the 1990's, with digital music and all.

- Billy :cool:

dwmckim

Reaction score
There's two different audio cuts of GMC. Version #2 was released for the first time in the 90's Jim Henson Video line. (The version with lyrics to Night Life).

Can't remember all the differences now but there's quite a few throughout the movies - one of them has a clock striking 12 gag during the shot with Piggy leaving the Dubonnet Club. One has Animal yelling "RENOIR" after Zoot's line during Happiness Hotel instrumental. Kermit gives a different reading to the opening line of Steppin' Out With a Star in between the two.

I was really excited to see the different version released when it was. Now if only they'd release the complete uncut version of Muppet Movie in the USA or the version of Muppets Take Manhattan where Gonzo tells Kermit the minister was real. Maybe we'll get MCC with Room In Your Heart restored but somehow i doubt it.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another difference is there are two different audio tracks played when Beau is driving the taxi through town.

It wasn't uncommon in the theaters for two slightly different edits of the film to be released in different parts of the country. I saw both the part with Gonzo playing the minister that DW referenced and the current version (which doesn't include a cut to Gonzo) in the theaters.

Thog

Reaction score
Originally posted by dwmckim
Now if only they'd release the complete uncut version of Muppet Movie in the USA or the version of Muppets Take Manhattan where Gonzo tells Kermit the minister was real. Maybe we'll get MCC with Room In Your Heart restored but somehow i doubt it.
I remember the the Gonzo part from MTM. I thought I was crazy for a while.
What was cut from TMM that was in theaters but not on video or DVD?

Dan

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dan,

Supposedly about 4 minutes was cut total from the theater version to what we have today on DVD and video.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
No no no! The 4 minutes were cut before the film went to theaters. The only thing cut between theaters and video was (allegedly) the "I'll have a grasshopper" line, and even that is debatable. I believe it was only on the soundtrack, and never in any released version.

Jackie

Reaction score
WHy cut 4 minutes? What's the purpose?

Thog

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jackie
WHy cut 4 minutes? What's the purpose?
To make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............