What's up with Piggy in the Frawley test?

beaker

Reaction score
Is it me or does Piggy look a bit grotesque in that muppet movie dvd Jim Frawley screen test? Was this some early prototype Piggy used, as I sure don't remember her looking that wretched in early TMS episodes. Im glad Palisades chose a more modern Piggy sculpt, as the one used int he Frawley screen test looks a bit unnerving(like something out of Meet the Feebles)

But...I think fans should take note, that Frawley screen test is one of the freshest Muppet things I have ever seen...very experiemntal, on the fly...and the chemistry between Kermit and fozzie is astounding...unscripted, raw, and insanely witty.

Perhaps that cheapest muppet movie ever made idea isnt so bad.

:: beaker ::

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
well, actually....

If this is the Frawley test I am thinking of, the one on The Muppet Movie dvd, then Piggy looked very much like she did during TMS late season 2 -- early season 3. Some episodes I can specifically think of comparing the "Frawley Piggy" to are Alice Cooper, Cheryl Ladd, and Gilda Radner. I know there would be others, but those are three I can think of off the top of my head where she looked similar to the Frawley screen test.

Jim

Can anyone back me up on this or am I talking out of my rear?

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
oops!

I forgot the most important part!! Yes, I agree, the screen test was awesome!! Very fresh and funny!
My favorite parts were when Frank or Jim would lose it and get hysterical!! Two brilliant people :smile:

And, yes, Piggy doesn't look as glamorous as we are used to! I don't think she started looking really attractive until season 4, but that is just me! Did I just say she was attractive *sheesh*

Jim, who doesn't have a foam pig fetish regardless of what my post sounds like! :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Hey link!

Ok, I'm gonna have to post about the Frawley test if someone posts a Muppet movie idea thread. Even my mom commented on how fresh and edgy that screen test were. I mean when Kermit and Fozzie are just ad libbing it, and Sweetums...and the car scene, WOW! Gosh, I wish they could go back to that raw and envigorating spontaneous real world stuff. Could you imagine if a new Muppet show had a segmant where the Muppets just went up to people in the street? No cuts, no edits, just as is. WOW!

And yeah...you see Piggy Jim Frawley test era, then select Piggy Muppetisms...and WOW! What a difference. To me, it was right around the Muppet Movie where piggy finally started looking good...and really in the early 80's... and now? If youve seen the Dennys or Hollywood Squares episodes, Piggy looks as good as ever!

///beaker///

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Middle-aged Piggy

I agree...The Muppet Movie is right about the time she starts to look really good!

As for Hollywood Squares and Denny's I think, and this is crazy, that Miss Piggy looks like she's aged a bit! :smile: She looks a little chunkier -- call it a her middle-aged spread!

Just don't call it that around her!!

Jim

beaker

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the Muppet characters age gracefully, heh. Honestly, from the Frawley test...heck back to the first episode of TMS...Kermit really hasnt changed much at all. He went through several major changes if you go back to sam n friends, sesame street early episodes, etc. Even fozzie didnt really get his more modern look til the 80's(notice the different colored nose and small eyes in the early tms shows)

While Piggy does seem to have put on a few extra pounds, she looks to me as good as ever. And facially shes light years beyond how she was in the screen test for tmm and early tms shows.

///beaker///

Kedrick

Reaction score
I really loved those screen tests!! I hope if they ever do any Anniversary DVDs, they include more of those behind the scenes type moments. It really made me realize how much I miss the chemistry between Frank and Jim. Their personalities meshed so well and it reflected in the characters they performed together.

As for the way Piggy looks: My favorite era for our Pig Princess would be the early eighties, circa Muppet Caper/Fantastic Miss Piggy show. As odd as this sounds, current Piggy just looks too "perfect". I liked when Piggy had a few flaws: one ear a little bent, face a little rounder. Oh well...

Clint

Gonzo

Reaction score
As a connoisseur of Piggy's, I can confirm she's at her tastiest in The Great Muppet Caper...best sculpt, best figure, best hair....all other Pigs pale before her. Then she chunked up a bit in the face in Muppets Take Manhattan, and hasn't been quite the same ever since. She's still the sweetest piece of Sweet Bacon out there, but she was best looking Back In The Day.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn