1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What's in store for the Muppets in 2012 article

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by frog75, Dec 8, 2011.

1. beaker Well-Known Member

Oh dear...Tintin, Mission Impossible 4 and Dragon Tattoo are out soon(three films I really want to see), and then Chipmunks three...so yeah, Muppets is going to be done with before the month mark is even here.

But so many circumstances behind that...even massive buzz cant help public perception plus an overwhelmingly bad ticket sales time.
  2. DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I think the muppets did well enough... and I think there is more awareness of muppets as I see children at school talking about them. I think the DVD will sell quite well. I don't think there done yet :)
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

This is an extremely complicated situation that makes no sense whatsoever. A summer's worth of movies in 2 weeks. But most of them, we all can agree, aren't exactly family films. TinTin and Chipmunks are... and I'm sure they're going to just cream a month old movie, but I'm not entirely sure it will completely disappear. At least I can see it in huge movie theaters or smaller independently run theaters, where it can make a small amount of money just to punch the BO up to maybe 75 or 80 mil... but it's done the best it can do, and everything depends on Europe... but it made the budget back, and the DVD's will sell it home. Can't be helped that we're in a completely fixed and forced recession and people would rather buy gifts at this point...

on the plus side, Happy Feet and Arthur Christmas are considered complete flops. I'm sure Hugo will find an audience on DVD, but that's not going to make back its big budget.
  4. beaker Well-Known Member

Yeah was just bad timing. But you feel it would have done better now and in July or August? As the film had been done for some time...and didnt at all feel like a Holiday film. But yeah, it beat all the children and family films for two weeks, so that's good. Not sure why its opening so darn late in Europe though.
  5. goldenstate5 Active Member

I said this before: the film would be eaten alive in summer. The only good weekend would have been when the Smurfs was released, that end of July period. And The Smurfs was released... so that wouldn't have worked.
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Pffft! August is instant death for ANY movie. Like I always say, does anyone remember the G.I. Joe movie? How about someone who doesn't frequent Marshall's and see the toys on permanent clearance? I don't think it would have fared well in summer at all. Maybe last week of July as a gamble... that's one that paid off for the Smurfs, but it could have gone either way.
  7. goldenstate5 Active Member

Usually the last week of July is the last chance for a summer family film. The Simpsons Movie broke the bank with that weekend, which is probably the best example.
  8. fozziecub10 New Member

Ratings will pic up once its been at the UK cinemas. Seriously, that was bad promotion waiting nearly 4 months for a UK release.

I hope for more Muppet moves, I have writen a first draft of one even though I not seen The Muppets yet lol
  9. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Great news! There's a chance that a certain obnoxious farting, wise-cracking rodent won't steal that much thunder from the Muppets after all!

This weekend's box office estimates have Alvin have it opening around $25 million, a tad below The Muppets' 3-day Thanksgiving weekend. Granted, The Muppets will still drop hard this weekend, but even with legs on Christmas week, Alvin might have a chance of trailing behind The Muppets! Nice to see the little ankle-biters have some taste after all!

My source:
    http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Here's the thing...

While at least 5 big movies came out around the time of the Muppets, Alvin has so much insane competition coming out in the next 2 weeks, it's not funny. Sherlock Holmes, TinTin, War Horse... a bunch of others I can't remember...It's a suicide mission for movie studios... like I said, a whole summer's worth of blockbusters in a less than a month period. And we've got a couple slow weeks before Christmas.

Alvin will make money Christmas vacation. That's the goal, that's the expectation. Little kids off school, running around the house... they already broke half the toys they got, and got bored with the other half... that's why the last 2 were surprise hits. Of course, the Christmas Song tie in kinda helped with the first one.
  11. goldenstate5 Active Member

Yeah, ironically Alvin will make more money than Muppets even though its opening weekend is a tad tiny. Even if there is easy proof that the box office is seriously tanking, Christmas break weekdays can't be beat. The only decent news is that this won't reach 200 million... a sign of slight Chipmunk fatigue.

As for Muppets itself, its performance just gets sadder and sadder. It'll make about three million this weekend, propelling over 70 million. The next three weeks will probably be the death knell, as only Xmas break will help it from y'know... disappearing. It'll barely reach 80 million and then sputter out.

Sigh. I really hope it does well internationally.
  12. Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

We have a Muppet movie in theaters, guys. And a really good one at that. In my eyes, there's nothing to be unhappy about here.
    Puckrox and DannyRWW like this.
  13. beaker Well-Known Member

America's ungrateful mass consumer worship makes me sicker and sicker. Won't be long before the whole economy and society implodes, and people are left realizing what truly matters. These disgusting "hybrid family movies" of grotesque cgi over lame brain live action is just the latest sign of the end times.

Anyways, as always many of the best films are coming out around this time. Very much looking forward to dragon tattoo, tintin, extremely loud and close, young adult, tinker tailor soldier spy, shame, etc.
  14. Puckrox Well-Known Member

Here here. I'm going to be seeing it for my sixth time this Wednesday. I bet you I'll still cry and laugh. :)
  15. beaker Well-Known Member

The only surprise is that positive word of mouth didn't give it's second week a boost...quite the opposite, it imploded. But, did anyone here really believe the Muppet film wouldnt be dead at the one month mark? That's the nature of the box office
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's also the suicide mission of having 3 major movies opening in a single day this weekend and this Wednesday. Sherlock Holmes only made 40 mil (less than the Muppets opening weekened , and it was number 1 too. Alvin, while there's no doubt it will be gain steam Christmas vacation, only had a pathetic opening of 25 million... that's not even as good as the Muppets 3 day. The Muppets did make 3 million more this weekend (like I kinda called it), unfortunately it slipped behind 2 of the other kids movies Hugo and that dreadful Christmas thing, but only about 0.1 million. And I'm sure That's only because a couple hundred families wanted to see a Christmas movie. The Muppets barely placed this week, and it's going to disappear by Wednesday, but 70 million domestically is pretty good... sadly, 10 million short of what everyone's expectations were, but by no means a flop.
  17. a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

That TinTin movie looks weird, the animation bugs me!
  18. Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Has there been any reaction from Disney with regards to the response to the film?
  19. Puckrox Well-Known Member

Hasn't Disney gone on record saying that this film's officially a success? I don't have the source for this information, but people keep saying it on here so I assume it's true.
  20. Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

You right.

It's amazingly well-done - and not just animated, either. It's performance capture, so those are the actor's real performances. Give it a shot, you might be surprised. My favorite adventure movie in a long, long time.