What's in a Name?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought this would make for an interesting thread: inevitably in life, you get to know people who have the same names, and sometimes it seems like certain names get more mileage than others... basically, what this thread is is seeing how many you know, or have known, who share the same name.

And no, for privacy reasons, I'm not saying tell us EXACTLY who you know with these names, I'm just saying how many people do you know with the same names?

For starters, there's a lot of David's in my life, at least three or four different people I've known with the name David. Tons of Chris's too, not only that, but I've known at least two Chris's with the same last name as well. Not to mention Kevin's, from my childhood to today, I've known a total of five Kevin's. There's three different Donna's I'm familiar with. I've known three different Jordan's, of both genders as well, likewise, I know at least two different Casey's of both genders as well (though one spells it with a K instead of a C). Three Michelle's, two Margaret's, a couple of Sara/h's, a small number of Ryan's, three Missy's, a couple of Bob's, a number of Jim's, and yes I've known another Joseph before too.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My sister's three best friends are named Lauren, Laura, and Laurel. It's so hard to figure out which one my sister's talking about when she speaks quickly, hahaha.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
OMG, when I was a kid, there was always a little girl in each of my classes named Ashley (mine is spelled differently; A-S-H-L-E-I-G-H, but pronounced the same), so I'd have to always be addressed as Ashleigh M___ (sorry guys, not sharing my surname here). It was sooo annoying. Luckily, now that I'm an adult, I don't come across many other Ashleys/Ashleighs/Ashlees etc. Funny story, I wasn't aware that Ashley was once more commonly a masculine name until I was about 12, when my best friend was reading Gone With the Wind. I also recently came across a man who spells his name like mine, British cartoonist and author, Ashleigh Brilliant. Sometimes I wish my mom had gotten her way (she wanted to name me Willow).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
In one of my grades there was like...four Ashleys who all spelled their name a different way...

Strangely enough, I've only met one person named Bob...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've known a couple of Ashley's myself. Funny you mentioned that about GONE WITH THE WIND, because my sister is so convinced that's why our mom named her Ashley (because GONE WITH THE WIND is a favorite of hers), though my mom says it's just a coincidence.

I just remembered another one: Nick. Even here at MC, we've had a couple of Nick's, and otherwise, I think I've known maybe two or three other Nick's IRL.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There's four Matts in the improv club at school. We call one just Matt and the rest are called "____ Matt" based on some attribute of theirs.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Now that I think about it I've known a few Nikki's of both genders that spelled their name like that...

I even had a crush on one of them :embarrassed:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Of which gender? :stick_out_tongue:

But on the subject of spelling, as I said previously, I've known a Sara without the H (is ReneeLouvier still here?), and a Sarah with the H... matter of fact, I just now remembered when I was ten, my next door neighbor whom I went to school with had a little sister who was five at the time, and she had this massive crush on me. :skeptical: Now that I think of it, I've known a Rachael with the A and a Rachel without the A.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Too late the edit, but I remember now a couple of Aaron's, a couple of Zach's, a couple of Thomas's, and a couple of Fred's.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Oh yeah...

Every Zach I've known was a moron...

And every Mary that I've met have been snooty, stuck up preps...

I mean, not trying to generalize or anything but...its odd...