What will happen when Caroll Spinney retires?

Rosewood

Reaction score
Actually, I believe they have been training someone

Kimp the Shrimp said:
Can u see another person doing big bird or oscar
From what I understand, they have been training someone to take over for Carol when he retires. But its also very possible they will simply try to retire them for good. (From what I understand, Elmo's had his eye on "Journey to Ernie" for quite some time now. Of course, then it would have to be changed to "Journey to Elmo". JK) But seriously, I do think someone else has been in training for quite a while, and has even done some stand-ins for Carol as BB. I don't know if he did the voice, too, or if he just did the costume while carol did the voice, though. I don't know if anyone has been training as Oscar. But, as long as they did the voices close enough to the way Carol does them, yes I could see someone else doing them. At least it would keep the characters alive!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
From what I understand, Matt Vogel's in-line to take over Big Bird, while John Tartaglia is in-line to take over Oscar the Grouch.

If they permenantly retired Big Bird and Oscar, do you really think Sesame Street would live on?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Where did you hear about Spinney retiring?
Well, it's kinda obvious, I mean he's past legal retiring age, and plus, they've been having alot more of Matt's Big Bird lately.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
just because he's past retirment age doesn't mean it will happen in the near future so why even worry about it till it;s announced?

Rosewood

Reaction score
These days, who knows?

D'Snowth said:
If they permenantly retired Big Bird and Oscar, do you really think Sesame Street would live on?
These days, with as many classic muppets as I have seen "bite the dust" in order to make way for the "new generation", I'd say anything is possible. For the longest time, SS stayed pretty much the same. So much so that it gave alot of us die-hard fans a false sense of security. That's why, when they suddenly changed the format just 4 years ago, it took most of us completely by surprise! I remember standing in front of the T.V. and literally thinking "What the heck........?!!!!" I saw all these muppet faces I didn't even recognise, all these new animated clips that hit me as totaly revolting, and almost nothing that I could actually remember or relate to. I felt as though my "special place" had been totally turned upside down and defaced!

Could SS live on without Oscar and Big Bird? With all these drastic changes I've witnessed in just 4 years, I'm sad to say it but, yes, I truely believe that SW WOULD make it happen, one way or another. Think about it: when you say "Sesame Street" to kids these days, who is the first character most kids think of? Elmo! Not Big Bird or Oscar. And with as many Elmo fanatics as we now have out there, the transition would probably go smooth and easy. Heck, you could show an entire month of episodes that don't show Oscar or Big Bird, and kids these days would never even notice they were gone. And to me, that is truely sad. And it's not paranoia speaking here, it's simple present-day reality. :cry: :frown: :cry:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, you have to admire Carroll's dedication. I mean he continues with Big Bird because he wants to, not because he's required too. Unlike Frank Oz who could still perform his characters if he wanted to, but now is pursuing other projects.

Could SS live on without Oscar and Big Bird? With all these drastic changes I've witnessed in just 4 years, I'm sad to say it but, yes, I truely believe that SW WOULD make it happen, one way or another.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with that. With all the focus on Elmo, Zoe, Telly and Baby Bear, there might be a point where they feel that BB and :grouchy: are no longer needed. Hopefully that won't happen for a long time. Especially with Matt and John around to take over Carroll's characters whenever he's gone.

doctort13

Reaction score
I too hope that the characters are kept after Carroll retires. My daughter is 14 months old, and seems to like the "classic" puppets more than the new ones. Infact, she usually falls asleep during Elmo's World!

Rosewood

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
I too hope that the characters are kept after Carroll retires. My daughter is 14 months old, and seems to like the "classic" puppets more than the new ones. Infact, she usually falls asleep during Elmo's World!
My kids loose interest, too, and I've heard similar statements all over the internet. In light of all this, I would really like to know where SW get's off saying "Elmo" and "his world" are still the #1 choice of all kids everywhere! I would also like to know what these results were being based against: the Classic Characters, or a blank screen!:smirk: