1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Daffney, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

OMG, that's almost exactly like me!
  2. Muppet Master

Oh my gosh, I'm speechless. You literally have me in tears. That's like the BEST script ever. Oh gosh, how did you come up with that. Wow, that would've been so awesome. It stays in touch with the classic muppet show and films what with the running gag of Gonzo and Rizzo popping up. Gosh I totally wish you had written that scene for MFS and just the whole movie. You made my day Dr. Tooth. Thank you :).
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the problem with MFS. It's not a bad movie, but it wastes its potential for being a very good movie.

They really should have gone with another director. I'm sure at least Joey's original script would have at least have more laughs.
    dwayne1115 likes this.
  4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Or Jerry's for that matter. Which was one of his last works with the Muppets.
  5. Muppet Master

About the director thing, I read on a MC article from '98 that Randal Klesier (director of Grease) was originally going to direct the film, but because of "creative differences" he was dropped. I wonder if the film would've been better if he directed it?
  6. Muppet Master

I'm sorry if this is off-topic. I just have to say this in a friendly matter but what do you have againist IAVMMCM (affectionatly called VMX)? The characters were all in character, compare the Piggy and Fozzie in MTI to them in VMX, a lot of long lost muppet characters, :flirt: ;) :sympathy:, came back into the mixture with full lines! The plot was strong and near perfect, there were two legit songs, "Moulin Scrooge", and "Everyone Matters", the latter of which was one of the most heartwarming muppet songs ever. The cage dancing at a rave party thing was AN ALTERANTIVE UNIVERSE, IN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSES IF YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON THEN YOU ARE A BAD PERSON. I fell like the only real criticism for the film is about Scooter cage-dancing, I mean the muppets were made for adults, they're only dubbed kiddy material, because of Disney. Heck without the pop culture references I think the film is right up there with TMM and GMC! I even think it's better than TM'11. AGAIN SORRY FOR BEING SO OFF-TOPIC.
  7. Muppet Master

You know I've got an idea of what a song in MFS shoul'd've been. Instead of "Brick House" they'd perform an original song entitled "We're Back"
    "The Muppets are Back"
    :) The Muppets are back
    :) Our three year hiatus is over
    :) Let's start another muppet movie and hope we do it right
    :o:concern::):rolleyes: The Muppets are back. The wait is over.
    :mad: And we're flashier and dashier than ever before
    Various: The muppets are back, we sooth your soul
    :) Now please don't make a fight, but who should get the main role?

:mad: It should be moi, I'll save the movie for all it's worth (dialouge)

:sympathy: Uh Kermit, here (hands Kermit a piece of paper) (dialouge)

:) Sorry everybody it looks like Gonzo gets the role (dialouge)

:concern: Whoope I've never felt more alive, let's hope I don't ruin it and this movie thrives

Various: The Muppets are Back with Gonzo front seat

:concern: Oh please let Camilla have a main role oh please

Various:The muppets are back, our furriness returns

:sing: Now let's get this show on the road and hope the audience ain't bored

The muppets are back. :fishy: with fish galore

Let the world know it's true that we didn't bid adue

The muppets are back; our three year hiatus is over and our furriness returns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya it's a lot like "We're Doing a Sequel".

8. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Actually, Rowlf didn't really do anything. Yeah, he had that one line towards the end that you have to listen for, and he hums a little bit during the party. But otherwise...

Fozzie still had a small hint of Squire Trelawney left over from MTI. At least in a few scenes. But otherwise, he was pretty much back to his old self.

Either way, I agree IAVMMCM was certainly not the worst Muppet movie. Personally, I put it in the "okay" category.
  9. Drtooth

Jerry kinda left the project early on. Even without the bad director ruining everything, you could tell something was wrong immediately. There was such a cloud over this project.

Really seems Fozzie was becoming a complete idiot since MTI. At least his excuse there was he was playing a character. The picking his nose bit was out of character... but the bit where Pepe was wearing a tutu wouldn't exist without it. And I gotta admit, I hate the bit about "Mama says always wash your hands, no exceptions" makes him come off more juvenile than just having his close relationship with his mother. But I can't say he's awful in it. They just put too many Frank Oz characters in one scene. I actually do enjoy the escape sequence, but it feels they ruined a lot of potential in that bit.

Hey, now that I think about it, ya think "Muppetman" was a slight reference to the "Doctor? "Doctor!" bit?
  10. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

I would have rather watched a movie were Gonzo was duct tape to a ceiling fan for a good hour and a half.
    heralde likes this.
  11. Drtooth

I can see it now. "The Muppets Present: What Gonzo does on an Average Wednesday."
    Dominicboo1 and DrDientes like this.
  12. WalterFan1234

WalterFan1234 Active Member

No original songs, horrible characters, the muppets lacked any emotions(especially kermit), their was terrible back stories(the rats), Jeffrey tambor was in it, the jokes were cheesy, they have a million annoying relatives of gonzo running around, etc.
  13. Gonzo & Camilla

Gonzo & Camilla New Member

I agree with you on most of your points, but I think there were some redeeming qualities of the film, too. Certainly, the movie wasn't the best it could have been, but there were some hilarious scenes and pretty awesome lines.
    While it was disappointing that some of the main cast didn't really seem to have a big presence in the film, I think it's nice to have a film centered around Gonzo, especially since he's kind of taking a back seat in the newest films (especially in MMW). While I feel they could have done better on MFS, I wouldn't call it a horrible film.
  14. Drtooth

Gonzo basically centered on the first three films after Henson. If you can think of MFS as Gonzo's movie, it does seem to view a little better. He was in top form in that film, as was Pepe and Rizzo... just everyone else (well... except for all the new characters used) felt flat, Kermit especially.

I REALLY hope there's a way Joey or someone could leak the working script to see where the director ruined it.
  15. Gonzo & Camilla

Gonzo & Camilla New Member

Exactly- and that be awesome to see where it could have gone and what they were trying to work out in the script. I completely agree.
  16. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

I don't think that Muppets from Space is that bad at all! It's the weakest of the eight theatrical movies certainly, but it sure is fun!
    Gonzo & Camilla likes this.
  17. FletchySRF3088

FletchySRF3088 Active Member

Probably a good place to post this here. Last week, I downloaded and listened to the episode of the podcast A Bit Of A Chat with Ken Plume that had Kirk R. Thatcher on it. It's really good and actually a rather candid interview, and around the beginning, Kirk talks about the problems that happened with MFS (that particular discussion starts at about 12:50 in). Really interesting stuff and would definitely recommend a listen!!

I personally like the film. Yes, there are flaws and it is probably the weakest of the theatrical movies, but I still enjoy watching it. One of the things I quite like about it is how different it is from the other movies - it's Gonzo's story and he's the star! No other Muppet movie before or since has been like that! I also pretty much love the heck out of any scene with Gonzo and Rizzo, and I also loved the Muppet Boarding House and how they mixed in the classic Muppet Show characters with the newer (at the time) Muppets Tonight! characters. It's just a real shame we didn't see more of that and more scenes in the Muppet Boarding House IMO.
    DrDientes and Gonzo & Camilla like this.
  18. Muppet Master

Hey guys, I found a youtube video interview with kermit and piggy for MFS, take a look.

Wow, even the interviewer thought Piggy would use the mind mist on Kermit :).
    cahuenga likes this.