What sketches scared you as a kid?

Reaction score
I remember a muppet movie when Animal grows huge from a potion Dr.Bunsen and Beaker made, I think they were out west. And Animal had a showdown, he was huge and scary, I saw this movie years ago...Anyway, giant Animal frighten me as kid...

crossingguardgirl

Reaction score
One sketch that clearly stands out in my mind though I haven't seen it for years, goes something like this. Kermit the Frog is standing on a street corner. In the background, against a brick building, we can see a sign that says, "DONT WALK" in big red letters. He explains that when the sign says, "DONT WALK," it's not okay to cross the street. Then the sign changes to "WALK". He says, "Okay friends, if the sign says WALK, then it's okay for me to cross the street." He starts across the street, only to have the sign quickly change back to DONT WALK. This happens about three or four times, the sign changes, he takes a few steps, the sign changes again and he has to hurry back to reach the safety of the corner. Finally he gets mad and says, "Listen you DONT WALK sign, if you're just gonna mess me up, I'm leaving! I didn't want to talk about DONT WALK in the first place." Then he storms off screen. We hear a loud squeaking noise and the lampost that the sign is on grows two hose looking legs and walks toward the camera! The last time I saw this sketch, I must've been about four years old. Scared me to death!

Then there was another one, though this one had a happier ending, and i was lucky enough to catch this one on video. Maria as Charlie Chaplin comes up to a DONT WALK sign and we hear Gordon's voice off screen saying, "DONT WALK". We wait a few seconds and the sign changes to WALK. Again, we hear Gordon's voice saying, "WALK". Maria starts across the street, swinging her Charlie cane and suddenly the sign changes and we hear all these angry car sounds. She rushes back to the curb and you can tell her heart is racing. This happens about four times, including once when the sign changes and she looks down the street to see if any cars are coming. Then she puts one foot in the street to see if the sign reacts. After the sign changes yet again, she grabs a black screen and puts it over the DONT so now the sign says WALK. You start hearing happy music and she is able to cross the street. Yea! Most of the DONT WALK sketches scared me, even gave me nightmares. I used to dream that the sign would trap me somewhere and if I tried to move, those legs would come out from under the lamp post and eat me! Yeah, I was a strange child...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember the Maria/Charlie Chaplain sketch with the traffic sign. Haven't thought of that in years, thanks!

crossingguardgirl

Reaction score
Did anyone else have nightmares about the "Beautiful Day" monster? I never knew his name, he was that big blue monster with the huge nose and the huge black eyebrows. No, not Herry Monster. Herry was funny to me. I mean the one that was in the sketch with Kermit the Frog when Kermit was talking about "Big" and "Little." In that sketch he was called "Harold." He used to give me some of the worst nightmares! And his voice...ooh, even as a thirty year old adult, he still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

crossingguardgirl

Reaction score
I had forgotten about the one where Herry Monster breaks through the door at Farley's house! That one unnerved me as a kid! THanks for the memory.

Crossingguard girl

Son of Enik

Reaction score
You're welcome a zillion times over, Son of Enik. It's nice when you find someone who understands, innit? I'm so glad I made you feel better! You made me feel better, too.

I absolutely understand the Sammy nightmares, as I had them, also. I remember each one vividly, even though I dreamt them about 30 years ago. And I TOTALLY understand how the opening with the close up of his face scared you. And how the black background creeped you out. Another thing that creeped me was seeing the "sssssssss's" floating out of his mouth. Gaaaaah!:eek:

Well, I'm here any time you would like to purge your Sammy thoughts and nightmares from the past. :big_grin: My therapy sessions and hugs are always on the house. :smile:
It is so great to find someone else who understands...we'll be in touch, my friend. I am glad to have found you.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
All this reminds me of an interview I once saw with Jerry Nelson and several other Muppet people. Someone from the audience got up and wanted to thank Jerry for all the characters he brought to life, "even though The Count used to scare me as a kid." Jerry looked slightly annoyed (well jokingly of course) and everyone laughed. Lol

squirrelboy

Reaction score
I just thought of another somewhat scary sketch or two:

1) Bert & Ernie at the beach, I could never get over how freaked out Ernie was when he couldn't find his buddy Bert because he was nearly mouth deep in sand and covered up with his beach hat. Mostly it's because every time I go to the beach and I see people in the sand when I was younger, I would freak out - mostly because I was concerned for these people and their safety. That may sound like an odd sketch to be afraid of, but safety comes first - always. Now that I am older, that sketch isn't quite as scary as it used to be.

2) Also, does anybody remember Oscar's pet elephant "Fluffy", back when Sesame Street was still in it's early years? His/Her sneak attacks with water always came as a scare to me (somewhat). Mostly because Oscar's elephant seemed "unpredictable" at times. You'd never know if it's going to good or bad.

squirrelboy

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
you're in good company

It is so great to find someone else who understands...we'll be in touch, my friend. I am glad to have found you.
Hey pal! Mokeystar is my best friend and she's GREAT at helping putting peoples' fears at ease. I thought Sammy was a little creepy, but I didn't have the psychotic freak-outs you did.

But I'll share with you what really scared the pants off me was Nobody/ Floating Face (according to Muppet Wiki)/Limbo/Idea Man/Rubber Band Man

call him what you will. He's the face that counts to 10 while the dots go by, and the nifty Scanimate graphics, and the whole deal.

any time 10 was the featured number, I knew they would show this clip, and I would always cringe. With his floating eyes and mouth against the black background, and that creepy voice, I thought that's what DEATH must look like.

And now this is a completely true story. I couldn't make this up if I tried.
And Mokeystar will swear on a stack of bibles it's true:

Once when I was about three (1971) they showed the painter skit of Paul Benedict painting his 10 on the stool, etc. Then they showed the Nobody clip. Scared the be-jeezus out of me. So taking a cue from the painter, I went down to the basement and got a can of paint and painted over the tv screen so Nobody couldn't scare me any more.

I got to paint my own 10!:smile:
Believe it or not, my parents didn't punish me. They were just too stunned at my handiwork.

My offer still stands. I dare anyone to top that.