What sketches scared you as a kid?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Nyperold said:
Hey, remember the one where there are all these mechanical devices doing stuff? I think it started with a mechanical clown on parallel bars, and then more toys, then there's the piano-playing robot, and the other one making letters or numbers, and then... a factory? Another igniting rocket fuel?

Another was the scientist with the huge robot demonstrating emotion. "Ooh... I... don't like it when he's angry."
I remember seeing that on youtube awhile ago. Not sure if it's still there. And I kinda remembered seeing it as a child. Just the kind of thing that would have terrified me, lol.

Nyperold

Reaction score
I remember seeing that on youtube awhile ago. Not sure if it's still there. And I kinda remembered seeing it as a child. Just the kind of thing that would have terrified me, lol.
Yeah, I was browsing last night, and both the ones you quoted were there. :smile:

Oh! Oh! There's the one where there are these two guys, maybe they're arguing or something, but then, Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" comes in, and we tilt up this monolithic white stone, and when it reaches the drum bit, big chunks fall off, revealing a word. I understand these were imported from The Electric Company.

Mad Hatter

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I was scared by the Count, and now he's my favourite Sesame character. I'm not alone, according to previous posts. :wink:

The first time I've seen the Count (I used to watch Sesame Street on French and Belgian Channels) was in the Seven Flowers sketch, and he frightened and impressed me a lot. Sometimes in the evening, I used to except to see him sniggering at the window, and when he was appearing on TV, I used to cut the sound.

Another Sesame Street sketch was rather frightening for me as a kid : the Haunted House sketch, in which two muppets kids, a boy and a girl, visit an old, deserted house. The boy is terrified by the thunder, by the moans of wind, when the girl keep absolutely calm. Suddenly, the boy finds a little mouse out, and the girl runs away, terrified by the little rodent. No ghosts, no ghouls in this sketch, but a spooky atmosphere, and that lugubrious interior...

squirrelboy

Reaction score
I remember that robot sketch too, the ending was frightning indeed.

I have a few more sketches to share.

1) Do any of you remember the "bridgekeeper" cartoons?, that bridgekeeper was freaky looking! He looked more like a wizard than anything. Scary!!

2) This one was based on the letter "V". All I can remember about it was the V landed on this guys knee, ouch!!

3) I too used to be scared of the Count, especially during this episode: It starts off with a huge rocket inside the Count's castle, the count now explains that for days and days he's been working on this rocket with his partner (I forgot the next part), anyhow - from what I am guessing, the whole point of creating this rocket is so the Count can count the count-down. And his associate freaks out. Anyone remember this?

Thanks,
squirrelboy

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I thought of some more

ZZ Blues - Not the entire song,just the ending when the lead singer was snoring and the scene was fading out at the same time.I don't know why but that really freaked me out when I was little.

Lefty the salesmam - His loud shushing freaked me out when I was little.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
2) The same goes for Long - Short car. This guy keeps pulling on the end of this car - it finally locks into a long posistion, then he takes off and then the car stalls out in the middle of a railroad track (with a train coming)!! And the narrator has the nerve to say: "I think the car is going to be short again, very - WATCH OUT!!". I'm sure you know what happened next, don't you?
Lol I saw that one on Youtube.I found the "WATCH OUT!!!" part halarious.I can see why it scared you though.

Nyperold

Reaction score
1) Do any of you remember the "bridgekeeper" cartoons?, that bridgekeeper was freaky looking! He looked more like a wizard than anything. Scary!!
Let's see... yeah, now that I think of it, his teaching motif seemed to be shapes. ("What is this?" "Oh ho! A square!" "How many sides does a square have?" "Mmm, four, mmm!" "What is a square good for?" "Good for? These things are great! *eats the square* I eat four square meals every day!") There was the guy with the circular food who had to eat it all the pass... but it was groceries he had brought to the bridgekeeper... And then somebody had to show him 3 triangles (the bridgework, then a drawn one), then play a tune on his accordion. They didn't get into any more complicated shapes than that. They left that to Square One Television. :big_grin:

2) This one was based on the letter "V". All I can remember about it was the V landed on this guys knee, ouch!!
Whoa. I remember the denouement just as you said it, but yeah, nothing else.

3) I too used to be scared of the Count, especially during this episode: It starts off with a huge rocket inside the Count's castle, the count now explains that for days and days he's been working on this rocket with his partner (I forgot the next part), anyhow - from what I am guessing, the whole point of creating this rocket is so the Count can count the count-down. And his associate freaks out. Anyone remember this?
Yeah! Yeah! It (quite literally) never gets off the ground! Good thing, too; they'd be scorched, if not incinerated, if Muppet thrusters ever emitted anything but smoke! :smile: Remember the last time, he counted down "in Transylvanish!"?

And here comes another one: There's this castle, as there so often is, and this hunchback is waiting outside. As the voice inside names body parts, the hunchback points to his own corresponding part. Finally, the voice exclaims, "And now, the POWER! AH heh-HAAAH heh-HAAAH heh-HAAAH heh-HAAAAH!" thus scaring the hunchback quite a bit. The door opens, revealing... well, I'll let the good doctor reveal it for me: "Here, I made you another Igor. Heh heh heh heh heh."

EDIT: Somewhere in the desert live scads and scads of clay balls, or maybe they're supposed to be rocks. The number 12 is heavily involved, and it seems like 12 of these balls or rocks or whatever form into the shape of the number 12, and then actually turn into a more solid for of the number. Then the number just disappears. I hope that was their ascension into their afterlife or whatever because otherwise, that's pretty freaky.

squirrelboy

Reaction score
I have a few more to add to my collection:

1) I have seen this blue puppet playing a piano from time to time, the way he played that piano was - well, ridiculous. The keys would be falling off, and by the time he got through with a song of his, he would tear his piano in two! Not a pretty sight, that's for sure!

2) I don't know why, but the 2-headed monster gave me the creeps as a kid. Just a wierd creature - that's all. I didn't seem to mind Frazzle though, but I guess we all have our seperate opinions.

3) Finally, Guy Smiley's safari, the way Guy Smiley yells everything thus scaring the animals away was more intimitading than anything. I was sure Guy was going to get killed, so I always changed the channel and ran out of the room in fear.

I'll think of more,
squirrelboy

Nyperold

Reaction score
Heh! Y'know, I think he got scared away himself, and the (lion? bear?) said something like "I guess I was too loud." The rhythm and length of that sentence doesn't feel right, though. I think it was longer.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
This was the very first MC thread I posted in back in 2002. A lot of members recalled the sketches in the long list I had. Just wondering if they ring a bell for anyone else now:

Ok...The first one I can remember is when Ernie is singing about bugs. This caterpillar inches by making a sound like "didle didle didle didle" (by the way, caterpillars dont' make sounds!!!) It was black and creepy. That terrified me! It didn't help me with my fear of bugs years later! Hehe

There was this shark that would sing and they'd get a close up of it's mouth...my cousin has a video of me talking about that saying "A shark scared me but it was only make believe (My Mom drilled that into my head!)

There was a claymation bit (me and claymation didn't get along!)
Where there was a LIVING CHAIR with a suit and glasses and a tie. He'd inch along when he walked. He was huming to himself as he left the room. Then he'd bump into the door because he had no arms and he'd say "Oh excuse me" and walk out. I think it was the logical sense part of my brain saying "But this can't happen!!!"

Then there was this really strange, incomprehensible cartoon with this human with a huge beak type mouth trying to push an elephant through a door. This little girl walked by. The guy said in a wierd voice "can you help me?" and the girl said "no".
Then the elephant got pushed in somehow and the guy sort of got deflated and flew in. I have no idea what that was about and no idea why it bugged me!