What sketches scared you as a kid?

squirrelboy

Reaction score
squirrelboy here,

One or two sketches that gave me quite a scare goes like this:

A bunch of kids are swimming in a pool (music is playing in the background), suddenly the music changes to the Jaws theme music, something is floating through the water, the kids get scared, and it's only to show us the letter of the day, in the pool is! That was scary to me.

The other sketch I thought was scary was (and if anyone knows how the rest of this one goes, fill me in). It's based on a song on 7, where a conductor has 7 ladies standing on his shaky piano - singing, before the piano falls to pieces (due to these ladies weight). Gave me quite a scare when I was young.

I'll add more when I think of them,
squirrelboy

ISNorden

Reaction score
squirrelboy here,

One or two sketches that gave me quite a scare goes like this:

A bunch of kids are swimming in a pool (music is playing in the background), suddenly the music changes to the Jaws theme music, something is floating through the water, the kids get scared, and it's only to show us the letter of the day, in the pool that is! That was scary to me.

The other sketch I thought was scary was (and if anyone knows how the rest of this one goes, fill me in). It's based on a song on 7, where a conductor has 7 ladies standing on his shaky piano - singing, before the piano falls to pieces (due to these ladies weight). Gave me quite a scare when I was young.

I'll add more when I think of them,
squirrelboy
I was older when I saw those clips, but I can certainly see how those two would scare some kids' pants off. Especially the first..."Mama, I wanna quit swimming lessons; what if some giant letter comes and gets everybody in the pool?" :zany:

jakester

Reaction score
2 Frightening sketches I vaguely remember

Reading these posts brings back a lot of memories, some bad. I remember at age 3 or 4(I am now 37) hiding behind the television when any monster(except Grover) came on. I always called for my mother to come in to the room until the sketch ended. Many of the other non-monster sketches mentioned in this forum could be equally as intimidating. I think the Henson/Oz combination could out-do any psychological torture devised by the even the most sinsiter covert operations in any government.

My question for any forum member is this: There are two sketches that I remember as having a profound effect on me. The first I remember a male anonymous muppet takes apart the face of a female muppet and leaves her faceless and hairless. When she leaves the male muppet makes a comment about regretting her departure(I think). As he is looking away, what looks to be a satin sheet rises up from the wall that was in front of them. On this sheet is a face that was created from the parts he took off the female muppet. The male muppet then looks up startled and the face-thing says something to him about being his new mate. The male muppet then reacts with an understandable shudder an the sketch ends. I have not seen this one in 30 years, so my memory of it may not be the best.

The other sketch only seems to be a trace of a memory but I know that I did not imagine it. I may have only seen it twice, and definitely before I started kindergarten. This sketch takes place throughout the show. Ernie cannot find Bert and begins to imagine wildly what could have happened to him. Later, Bert is seen being accosted by a group of monsters9 (which seemed to include a green Grover). When Bert finally returns, Ernie tells him how glad he is to see him but Bert does not answer. When Ernie requests Bert to speak, he responds in a deep booming monster voice that causes Ernie to tremble in terror. I understand if that sketch was only around briefly for the fear it could cause in kids. If anyone can help me jog my memory on these two sketches, I would appreciate it.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, jakester...I saw that skit with the "de-faced" girlfriend Muppet too, but I didn't remember the ending. Thank goodness, at least, that you confirmed its existence (and its scariness for more than one pre-schooler).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
YES!!! I can't BELIEVE somebody else was scared of this one as a kid! I didn't know whether or not this skit (and others like the 2 kids in the lobby) were considered "scary" by anyone else but apparently I have my answer now!! I've said this a couple times before but somebody should SO post this one on YouTube (and there's more of a chance they will now since the "Rap" song for # 11 was recently posted); SS still airs these skits occasionally so I now have a slightly less faint memory of the # 2 and 20 versions, but they haven't shown # 8 for awhile (I don't think). Doesn't the Bellhop start to get into an elevator in this one only to find that it doesn't work? If so, that might've been the primary reason it scared me.
And Bellhop #8 is now officially up on Youtube!:big_grin:

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I didn't post on this thread for a long, long time because I thought I'd already done so...but then I looked through my posting history, and found that I had not. Perhaps I posted on a similar thread on the old Yesterdayland board?

Anyway, I was petrified of Placido Flamingo, like many of you. The only sketch I saw him in was the Pretty Great Performances sketch with Seiji Ozawa and the All-Animal Orchestra (unless you count the brief glimpse of the episode with the All-Animal Opera that I caught while flipping through the channels one day). Ironically, he's one of my favorites now, especially after seeing the clips on YouTube of him trying to seduce Maria. (OK, seduce is the wrong word, but you know what I meant). That episode really tickled me.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, I use to be scared of all these characters during the night and I would totally lose sleep ovey them. I waould be sweating and everything. But during the day I would be just fine.:smirk:

Nyperold

Reaction score
2) Another one that freked me out when I was little, it goes like this:
I have a mind, and my mind has me, with everything I do (balls fall on head), see!! (more balls). A box appears in front of this guy, he decides to look inside, he even puts his hand into the box, only to find out he stuck his hand into a box filled with glue? Yeck!!
I think that goes:

"I have a mind, and my mind helps me / with everything I do, or (a couple of balls fall, then another) see! (a final one falls)"

The operatic orange was definitely odd. I remember thinking she was singing "la moo" (hey, I still haven't seen "Carmen"), but now I know better. Thanks, Wikipedia!

Hey, remember the one where there are all these mechanical devices doing stuff? I think it started with a mechanical clown on parallel bars, and then more toys, then there's the piano-playing robot, and the other one making letters or numbers, and then... a factory? Another igniting rocket fuel?

Another was the scientist with the huge robot demonstrating emotion. "Ooh... I... don't like it when he's angry."

Another was... there was this guy was built a robot out of cheapo parts, and when he powered it up, it jumped around wrecking stuff.

EDIT: Oh, man, how did I forget the yo-yo master and lost kid? That yo-yo master was especially freaky, turning into all those structures as the kid described them.

wiley207

Reaction score
Another was... there was this guy was built a robot out of cheapo parts, and when he powered it up, it jumped around wrecking stuff.
That is the classic Sesame Street News Flash from 1978 entitled "The Six-Dollar Man," where our favorite reporter frog Kermit interviews Professor Nucleus Von Fission (a one-time character on the show) who created the Six-Dollar Man, aptly named because it only cost six dollars to make him! When started up, the robot goes around and begins totaling the lab! Its head falls off as it knocks over shelves and more. Then it breaks down and the professor laughs in delight. When Kermit tells him that it destroyed the whole lab, the professor says, "Well, what do you expect for six dollars?" Then the "waaa-waaaaa" end music plays.