What makes a sequal good!

Movies205

Reaction score
A sequal is good if it bring something new to the ball game!

Things that will make a sequal suck
-If there is no reason for a sequal since the first movie finish off without a reason for a sequal
-It brings nothing new to the table

I'm too tired to come up with anything more

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I can sum it up in one word

writing.

if a story has good writing, I'm for it! even if the story is bad, great jokes can save it...so if I care about the story line, or it makes me laugh a lot, it's all cool! :sing:

Baby Animal

Reaction score
I can't really say what makes a good sequel, as there aren't too many. I know what makes a bad sequel though....

1) The same jokes over and over again (Ace Ventura II)
2) Making the movie just to make some more money (Jurassic Park II, III)
3) Thinks the audience hadn't seen the first part and rehashes the entire plot, wasting much of the movie (I Still Know What You Did Last Summer)
4) Tries to be as innovative and/or original as the first one, failing on both counts (Matrix II)
5) Rests on the laurels of the first one (Disney Rehashes... any great Disney Movie with a II behind it (Except Toy Story))
6) Same plot, different location (Die Hards)
7) Weak plot (Temple of Doom, Star Wars Prequels
8) Same characters, different cast (Dumb and Dumberer, Aladin II)

What makes a good sequel?

1) Good plot that builds off the first one but is independent on it's own. (Godfather II, Toy Story II)
2) Continues a great story (Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, LOTR -- TT)
3) Characters grow through both films (X2)
4) Takes whats good in the original and adds great characters while taking small tidbits from the first one and tying up loose ends (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade)

My two cents.

Tony

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
In the imortal words of Jay Sherman, "After 2, let it rest."

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think to make a good sequel it has to be a story that NEEDS to be told.

I am writting several stories and only a few of them can I see sequels to. I am writting a seres about a detective, so that will have sequels, but I am also writing a sci fi story and I REALLY want to make a sequel once it is done, but I don't know that I'll be able to.

That's my 2 and a half cents.

Bea:zany:{regard}regard

Baby Animal

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
I'm sorry that was 12 cents....you owe MC a dime
Hey, points are a dime a dozen, so it's only 10 cents. I owe 8. Don't make me go farther in debt than I have to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I can't stand (other than Disney cheapquals... greedy freaks) is when they homoginize the plot to be more like it's Animated series Counterparts. The two best examples are Men in Black 2 and Ghostbusters 2 (though the latter I haven't seen in some time.. I'm guessing)

The Men in Black movie seemed to become the cartoon show, especially Frank the Pug's role. Even the Aliens looked like the cartoon designers designed it.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
my guess it, they were trying to appeal to younger teens that still hadn't fully grown out of the cartoon-y look (notice I didn't say grow out of cartoons!)