What made you roll your eyes today thread?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. While I get the whole thing about Facebook probably sort of maybe being biased with their news feed and right wing stories not trending (which is a conversation I don't have the taste for), and I understand that Zuckerberg would jump at the chance for damage control, this just made my eyes almost circle to the back of my head. While it's perfectly natural to meet with high ranking Conservative talk hosts, I head-desked at a certain member present.

Glenn Beck.

Okay. Now, I understand maybe the Meagan Kellys, the Bill O'Reilys, those kind of obvious choices who are polarizing and the kind to make this an issue. Maybe even more reasonable types like Ben Stein and Charles Krauthammer (SP?).

But they went and got a dangerously galvanizing, lying, manipulative, carnival barker who once sold his tin foil hat wearing minions a Gold Scam, who kinda looks like the adult version of a school yard bully that never got punished by the faculty, who can't even get his Insane Troll Logic conspiracy theories straight (the president is racist against whites, the president is racist against black...Pick a LANE! It can't be BOTH!). A guy who even Fox News thought was too offensive and crazy (okay, technically their sponsors, but still). How is this guy still a thing? His brand of ultra-far-nihilistic rightwing pseudo-Libertarian insanity (which I don't even believe he believes and is just trying to sell survivalist nutjobs various money making scams) is dangerous. Like Militia levels of dangerous. Who the *&^% cares what he thinks about Facebook having a bias, when his tenth of a percent baked conspiracy fan fiction is plastered all over it anyway?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In honor of Father's Day, Dunkin' Donuts made a few donuts with "#1 Dad" written on them.

And some kid wanted to know what "Hashtag 1 Dad" was for.

Sometimes youth is wasted on the young....

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like Britain managed to pull their own equivalent of electing Trump for frighteningly similar reasons and I'd say similar consequences.

Thanks a lot for screwing the world economy up because you let racists dictate policy, guys. You now have NO right to complain about our screwed up government.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know, I feel your pain. People like to think American and British politics are very different from each other, but i'm starting to see a lot of parallels recently.
Politics all over the world is absolutely the same. All it takes is for one media sponsored demagogue or cleric or any other person paid to spread anger to corrupt just a significant enough portion of the population to turn a vocal minority that would usually be seen as too crazy to be relevant into a slim majority. I mean, look at what happened when Greece had its crisis. A Neo-Nazi party arose from that mess because everyone was angry. And that's not some liberal exaggerating the far rightness of a political party. It was actually Neo-Nazis. Neo-Nazis with too much power that were less than a hair's width from running the country. In times of crisis, instead of saying "something needs to be done," a group of people gets the blame and what does get done is that country becoming more fascist, making the situation a hundred times worse. You would think by now most humans would get the learning curve that getting angry at the wrong people and essentially electing fascist dictators out of fear would be a very very very very very very very horrible, outright too dumb to live move.

What happened here was the tabloids spread far right propaganda because British Tabloids are freaking terrible and owned by a certain billionaire that hey owns a crapload of far right propaganda media outlets here. A small group of xenophobes elected a bunch of racists to political office because the sane, rational would be smart if they voted, but they didn't types sat at home. So basically, Nativism happened and this passed on the "Dey Took Ur Jerb?" logic. Not to mention "AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Scary brown people with scary brown God!" In the end, fear of losing jobs to illegal immigrants lead to a small percentage of vocal morons eventually destroying the economy, thus losing more jobs. I've heard of cutting off the nose to spite the face, but this is slashing up the entire body into tiny cubes of meat and saying "HAH! Take that, Face! I sure showed you!" Meanwhile, staying in the Union was highly favored in Scotland and Northern Ireland. I'd say if anyone should leave, it's those countries from the UK! Not that there aren't rumors of that already.

And to no surprise, Drumph is applauding the move. Probably because the same fascist loving Nativism spread by nasty propaganda lead to to being the Republican Party's presidential nominee, or that if the world economy tanks and dumb voters blame Obama in enough numbers, he'll be elected president no matter how terrible his campaign is doing.

Seriously. Those who say the world is burning are likely the ones holding the matches.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I hate to bring Trump up again but, now Trump is calling Elisabeth Warren a racist. Yes that's right, the man who made fun of Elisabeth Warren's Native American heritage and even called her "Pocahontas", is now calling her the racist.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Trump calling her racist? Well, pot, meet kettle.
Just like the Avenue Q song goes, "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist", as much as we try not to be. Racism is human weakness. Anything that is different, people unfortunately react to it in negative ways. It stems from fear and ignorance.
Racism should be dealt with. But part of the problem with political correctness over the last 30 years, is pretending it doesn't exist. Promoting the notion everybody is tolerant, everybody is open-minded, everybody is totally receptive to "accepting cultural diversity".

Baby steps in that direction is fine, and realistic. But we still have a long way to go.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Baby steps in that direction is fine, and realistic. But we still have a long way to go.
We shouldn't even have a long way to go still, because it's been too long heading in that direction. I mean, heck, other countries have considerably less - and in some cases, virtually no - racial tension than we do, and in fact, they look at us as being behind the times because we're still clinging to racism.

But, as I said, America is anything but the United States, we're more like the Divided States: we can't ever get anybody to agree on anything, because there's always two radically different sides on every issue - especially political issues. Heck, Paul Ryan recently made a speech where he basically admits that Republicans have the mentality that they believe they're always right and Democrats are always wrong about everything (then went on to lie that Republicans always explain to Democrats why they're wrong, and "work together" on a better solution for an issue).

Same with same-sex couples as well: other countries (such as Canada) have long accepted same-sex couples and have even legalized gay marriage, so they can't understand why America still makes a big deal out of it the way it does.