What made you roll your eyes today thread?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, according to Michelle Bubblemann, apparently Barack Obama is directly responsbible for bringing the end of the world and Jesus' return to mankind much sooner than God has intended simply be approving of gay marriage, among other things.

I had no idea that God told Michelle Bumblemann personally that Obama was causing Him to end the world earlier than He intended, especially considering that He never told Jesus.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It cooled down into the 60s today, and because of that, the whole town is flipped out about it - everybody's whining and crying about how cold it is and how they'll have to dig their jackets and coats back out because they're freezing.

Harleena

Reaction score
People who make up genders/sexualities/pronouns/what have you. This is an actual thing that I read: "My name is (name changed for identity protection) Lauren/Foxy. I'm 14 years old. I'm catkin, starkin, and firekin. I'm bigender (female and agender). I'm pansexual. Please use either she/her, they/them, and bun/bunself pronouns please!!!" Okay, first of all, you're not bigender if you're agender and something else. You're just female, okay? I don't care if you're pansexual, but if you're only 14, you're probably still discovering yourself. Heck, I don't even know what my sexuality is. If someone asks me, I don't make up some random word, I just say that I'm unsure. And what's with all the hate on people who are white/straight/cisgendered? This is why I hate Tumblr, except for the DHMIS fandom (minus the people who bawwww about Padlock humanizations and Sketchbook being a girl). Let me just say something:
  • A person isn't evil just because they're white/straight/cis/what have you.
  • You are not transgender just because you say so on your stupid hipster Tumblr blog.
  • You are not otherkin just because you say so on your stupid hipster Tumblr blog.
  • Stop using made-up pronouns like "fae" and "bun" and "star" and what have you. All these "nounself" pronouns are pretty ignorant. Tell me, have you ever met an actual trans person who uses made-up pronouns like "moonself" and "voidself"?
  • Stop making up genders and sexualities like "lithsexual" or "aphoragender" or what have you.
  • It's totally okay to be proud of your race/sexuality/gender, even if you're white, straight, and/or cis.
  • Stop being ignorant.
Sorry, just needed to get this rant off my chest. It's stupid how ignorant people can be.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So Ted Crazy...err Cruz is trying to attract younger voters with a Youtube video where he does terrible Simpsons impersonations.

To quote one Springfield resident, "Worst political pandering, EVER!"

charlietheowl

Reaction score
So we're giving Bruce Jenner an award for becoming Caitlyn Jenner?
It's an ESPY. I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about it when no one uses an ESPY as anything more than a doorstop. ESPN isn't even airing the ceremony this year and they created the awards themselves!

Harleena

Reaction score
Someone called me racist for wearing a Hetalia t-shirt. By that logic, by wearing a Pokemon t-shirt makes me a Pikachu. Just because the show Hetalia is a bit racist at times doesn't make me racist. I understand that the characters are stereotypes and not actual representations of the countries. And also: I don't run around screaming "PASTAAAAAA!!!!" I don't giggle in history class. I don't laugh hysterically at world maps. I don't write fanfiction about tragedies. I don't say things like "Oh, Doitsu-kun was just misunderstood! He didn't mean to kill all those Jews!" I don't think that forcing yourself on someone is "kawaii desu ne~". I don't say things like "ve" and "aru". And I don't watch Hetalia because I think I can learn history from it. I watch it for one reason and one reason only: because it's literally a show where almost the entire cast is hot anime guys.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's an ESPY. I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about it when no one uses an ESPY as anything more than a doorstop. ESPN isn't even airing the ceremony this year and they created the awards themselves!
That's a very loaded situation. It's like a race lift in a comic book movie. One way you call it out you're a bigot, the other you're supporting something without nuance.

My concern is this. It took a reality TV star for people to care about the transgender community. And while it is courageous to overcome something like that, the real courage is a "nobody" having to struggle through the same thing with less than supportive people scowling and finger waving. Look at what happened to Chaz Bono. He was getting tones of crap for a show like Dancing with the Stars (a show that picks the most controversial figures possible because they know they can't get real celebrities and they need viewers to keep tuning in). There's a learning curve for transgender because it's essentially new to us to accept. Still, even if she's getting crap for this it's easily ignored, and her former life as Bruce left her with a lot of celebrity and a crapload of money (especially being a Kahrdashian). Not saying what she did wasn't brave, but it's a LOT harder to be brave when you're not a celebrity. By contrast, what about that football player that came out as gay and lost all his prospects as a result? You know, because we'd rather be affiliated with players who beat the crap out of their women, beat the crap out of their children with tree branches, illegally fight pitbulls, and...well... Aaron Hernandez. Just Aaron Hernandez. Come on. Gay people have just as much right to be lethally concussed as the rest of them. (seriously... &^%$ the NFL. having cheaters win the Super Bowl is more than apropos).

Plus, wasn't the other nomination for the reward some little girl who did something big that I can't remember that the top of my head? Not saying Caitlyn doesn't deserve the award for dealing with being a transgender person, I'm saying she doesn't quite deserve it for being in a rich, cushy position that when she did come out, it didn't destroy her life and she knew there wasn't anything to lose.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I think that Caitlyn Jenner is going to become the face of the transgender community for awhile, being the most prominent person to transition to date. Yes, her position as star athlete/reality star does make things cushier and easier, but it still took a lot of courage of her to publicly share her transition and go through with it. Sometimes it takes a public figure to really move society's needle on an issue and help things go forward in the right direction, even though they may not be the most deserving of the attention. Sort of like how Magic Johnson put a face on living with HIV/AIDS.

As for Michael Sam, I desperately wanted him to make an NFL team, to have an openly gay athlete I could identify with, as those are desperately lacking in American sports, but I honestly don't think he's that good enough to crack a team right now. He couldn't make the Dallas Cowboys defensive line last year and they were an injury away from putting a tackling dummy out there. He's in the Canadian Football League now and hopefully can shore up his game and in a couple years try the NFL again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that Caitlyn Jenner is going to become the face of the transgender community for awhile, being the most prominent person to transition to date. Yes, her position as star athlete/reality star does make things cushier and easier, but it still took a lot of courage of her to publicly share her transition and go through with it. Sometimes it takes a public figure to really move society's needle on an issue and help things go forward in the right direction, even though they may not be the most deserving of the attention. Sort of like how Magic Johnson put a face on living with HIV/AIDS.
It always takes a major tragedy, a celebrity, or a white chick for people to pay attention. That's a shame and it's all on the public for that. But that doesn't mean it can't be a positive conversation starter either.