What kind of foam for a carved head?

mrhogg

Reaction score
Hey all,

If I were to make a sculpted/carved foam head puppet, what type of foam would work best for that? I'm thinking of old-style Miss Piggy heads, Statler & Waldorf, that kind of thing.

Thanks!
Brian

propologist

Reaction score
Hi,
Reticulated foam (scott foam) works best.

Mike

mrhogg

Reaction score
I'm thinking of carving the head from a block of foam; I've yet to see reticulated foam in any real size, and I thought there was something denser to use.

mrhogg

Reaction score
It occurs to me that the tone of my response might have sounded snippy. If this is the case in any way, I very much apologize.

I thought there was a certain kind of foam -- not quite styrofoam, but nothing as crazy-expensive as reticulated foam -- that was good for carving the heads from a solid chunk, rigid enough to keep a good shape, but flexible enough to still allow for some emoting.

Is reticulated foam the best best? I unintentionally bought some dense polyfoam (moreso than the standard 1/2" white polyfoam), which has more form, but probably wouldn't be very good at being carved.

What would be a good tool to use to carve the foam? Scissors wouldn't work too well, I'm guessing. What do you all use?

Thanks,
Brian

mrhogg

Reaction score
I saw that link earlier when I was doing some searching, but what type of foam is that? It's a block, but a block of what type of foam?

Blink

Reaction score
I saw that link earlier when I was doing some searching, but what type of foam is that? It's a block, but a block of what type of foam?
Hey Brian,

Just a simple 12" x 12" block of polyfoam will do the trick. I am sure there are foam stores around you that you can order it from. Otherwise, there is a place here in Burlington that I know of. It sells what you would need.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
In Hamilton here, on Ottawa Street (Oddly where the very first Tim Hortons is located) is a store called the FOAM Store...they sell it by the block, and they are cheap too.
Cutting block foam with a electric knife dulls the blades fast. I recommend using a bandsaw to form the basic shape of the head, then use a electrical knife to form more for the detail.