What kind of cookies does the SST Cast use to feed Cookie Monster?

Luke kun

Reaction score
So I was watching some Crumby Pictures segment on YouTube, and I want to know what cookies does the SS cast use that Cookie Monster eats. I think they're just plain old chocolate chip cookies.

Mmm, chocolate chip cookies. :insatiable:
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

*eats a virtual cookie and goes off to find cookies in her kitchen in real life*

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
So I was watching some Crumby Pictures segment on YouTube, and I want to know what cookies does the SS cast use that Cookie Monster eats. I think they're just plain old chocolate chip cookies.

Mmm, chocolate chip cookies. :insatiable:
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

*eats a virtual cookie and goes off to find cookies in her kitchen in real life*
They use rice crackers for the cookies.

cjd874

Reaction score
Rice crackers? How do you know that?
If they used real cookies, the grease and oils in the cookies would ruin the puppet's fur. So the drier rice crackers (sometimes with painted-on chocolate chips) make a much better substitute. And to back JazzyAlphabet, it does say so in the Sesame Street Unpaved book, circa 1998.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually I believe Sesame Street Unpaved says that they use rice cakes, not rice crackers.

It's interesting, at one point in the book, it reveals that the cookies are usually rice cakes (I believe it mentions that real cookies are occasionally used, but they're just a certain kind of cookie, I think oatmeal cookies), yet at the end of the book, there's a section where the characters answer fan mail, and Cookie Monster answers a question about the cookies, saying that they are real (and warning the writers not to give the producers ideas to use a cheaper alternative).

I was surprised when I first learned that they used real food for the cookies. I had assumed that the cookies used were just cardboard or plastic or something. Especially since they seem to break apart very easily (real food can't break apart like that?).