What is the World coming to?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...r-marrying-a-christian/#.U3cZiQq6Bw4.facebook

http://www.fox17.com/news/features/...ath-sudanese-jail-visited-husband-21446.shtml

This story has touched me in a way, that I don't like. It shocks me to think that things like this story are still going on in the world today. I would have thought that man kind has advanced and that hatred for others faith had been dissolved, and more understanding and tolerance had taken place. Sadly I am wrong and this woman and her unborn child are going to be put through some unthinkable things, and it just breaks my heart.

Here is a petition if you would like to sign.

https://www.change.org/petitions/go...nant-mariam-yehya-ibrahim-for-being-christian

Drtooth

Reaction score
The world has come to nothing in this case, if anything the world not coming to anything's the problem. This is stubborn, old world, misogynistic, autocracy at its finest. Mind bogglingly idiotic, draconian laws with a loose connection to religion.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Atrocities like this still happen quite often around the world, but not all get media attention like this. Korea, Indonesia, and Pakistan are just a few of the countries where
practicing Christianity can be grounds for imprisonment or death.

Too many religions (and many people's perception of them, including Christianity) are steeped in legalism- you must follow these rules, and the slightest indiscretion will eternally condemn you.

That's what makes Christianity different. God knows we're not perfect, he knows we're going to screw up (more than once, no less), but he loves us so much, Jesus paid the price for our sins so we can be restored. And ALL you have to do is be humble enough to ask God for forgiveness. As simple as it sounds, too many can't even bring themselves to do that.

I've mentioned once before- when you were little (for the sake of argument, back when I was five) and you did something REALLY bad, your dad says, "Go up to your room and get ready for your punishment". Your dad comes upstairs and says "I'm going to give you five spanks (back when this was the acceptable form of discipline)". Instead of spanking you five times, he only spanks you twice. Then he says, "Let's go out and get some ice cream".

While you're enjoying your ice cream, Dad says, "Remember how I said I'd spank you five times and I only spanked you twice? That's mercy. Enjoying your ice cream? That's grace".

That encapsulates Christianity. No matter how bad you screw up, God still loves you and wants you to be restored to Him. And that's too much for some people to handle.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ask for forgiveness...and then don't sin again. That's the part we still haven't figured out, heh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You guys get this isn't about Christianity, right?

The man she married could have been Jewish, a Scientologist... whatever. It still would have been the same deal. Christianity has diddly to do with this, but rather the maddening pseudo-religious law of an Ultra-Conservative Muslim country.

To wit: A Sudanese man of Muslim faith can marry whoever the heck he wants, as long as it's a woman. The fault only lies on a Muslim woman daring to marry outside her faith. Because the holy text basically says women shouldn't be floozies, which somehow translated by ultra-Orthodox fundies to women are objects and abysmal hos at birth. Basically a misogynistic paradise, where women exist to serve their husband and make many children. That's the kind of mentality that causes dangerous lunatics to shoot a school girl in the face for daring to learn, or kidnapping school girls and selling them into slavery because that's some holy stuff right there. :rolleyes:

What has been going on is religion at its worst. Or rather, religion at the hands of manipulative, fear-mongering, megalomaniacs to scare and control at its worst. And that ticks me off. If there's one common ground where sane, responsible religious types and sane responsible atheists should find, it's that these dangerous, crazy types that use religion for political gain are damaging the face of what faith really is. But instead, we're all bickering about the Pledge of Allegiance, Merry Christmas, and Ten Commandment movie promotional statues on Courthouses.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You guys get this isn't about Christianity, right?
Somehow I doubt the victims in Egypt and the Middle East would agree with you. There's a reason why Christians are targeted. They represent the opposite of what these idiot extremists believe in. As does Judaism in Israel, the only real democracy in the Middle East.

If there's one common ground where sane, responsible religious types and sane responsible atheists should find, it's that these dangerous, crazy types that use religion for political gain are damaging the face of what faith really is. But instead, we're all bickering about the Pledge of Allegiance, Merry Christmas, and Ten Commandment movie promotional statues on Courthouses.
Well we're Americans. We're so bored we have to invent things to complain about.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I think it was just me trying to look at the world with tinted glasses. I mean i knew that there where problems and that Christians where still getting murdered for there faith, but I did not know it was to this extreme.
Another thing that bugs me with this is the fact that Christians will jump all over folks for "Gay rights", but with something like this they stay for the most part quite. The entire message of Jesus Christ was love and forgiveness, and as Christians we should live by that and defend that. We should also stand stand by and do our best to help our brothers and sisters in Christ. Not throw up our hands and do or say nothing for fear we might upset another religion. Everyone has seemed to abandon this poor woman, and instead there need to be prayers and people trying to help her. I mean I don't know what they could be doing, but to just be silent is just not the way it should be.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Nothing to see here, everybody; just a couple of crazy Muslim extremists interpreting little historical footnotes of the Koran like they're the end-all be-all to justify their misogyny and violent nature while ignoring the more important things in there about love and peace. What else is new? :rolleyes:

Where are the more moderate and liberal Muslims speaking out against these atrocities? And trust me, they do exist.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Nothing to see here, everybody; just a couple of crazy Muslim extremists interpreting little historical footnotes of the Koran like they're the end-all be-all to justify their misogyny and violent nature while ignoring the more important things in there about love and peace. What else is new? :rolleyes:

Where are the more moderate and liberal Muslims speaking out against these atrocities? And trust me, they do exist.

Well I don't mean to offend, but they seem to be fewer and fewer as time rolls on. I'm sorry but this does not sound like it's just a few extremists. This sounds to me like the rulings, ideas and laws of the Sudan court systems.

I mean I'm sure there may be some good in the Koran, but this type of teaching is more harmful and hateful then good. Yes and people could say the same thing for the Bible, but at least Christians are killing people for what they believe.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well first off, they're kinda terrified of the consequences. I don't blame them, but somebody needs to take a stand at some point.

Some of them just resent ever being lumped in with the extremists. Again, I can understand, but again, there's a bigger picture here.

And to be blunt, the media doesn't like having them on the air too much. They'd rather have apologists.