What if Sesame Street Live was around during the early years?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have been wondering lately... what do you think Sesame Street Live would have been like if the first Sesame Street Live show was produced in 1969, 1970, or 1971?

I doubt there would have been a Sesame Street Live show for the first year. After all, the show was just getting started, Sesame Workshop would have needed to make deals to get the show produced, costumes would have needed to be made, voices would have been recorded, and that would have been a lot of work to get Sesame Street Live started during the shows first season. Also, it seems like the early years focused on the humans just as much as the muppets (I haven't seen any actual episodes from this period, so I could be wrong), so I wonder if the actors would have actually been part of the show (Which I doubt, as they couldn't tour the country in a live shpw and make regular appearances on the TV show at the same time), if impersonators would have been used, or if there would have actually been walk-around costuems for the humans (which would probably be too weird). Also, it seems like the animated and live action segments were treated equally with the Muppets and humans in some of the earliest merchandise, so I wonder if any cartoon characters would have been in Sesame Street Live if it had opened back then.

Also, there weren't very many major Muppets in the first season. Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, and Oscar were all major and would have surley been in the first Sesame Street Live if it was produced in 1969, and I have a feeling that Jim Henson would have allowed Kermit to have been in the show if produced then (he was in some of the boosk from the first season), but would Cookie Monster or Grover have been in it? What about beautiful day monster? What about Proffessor Hastings, Lefty the Salesman, or Little Bird?

I guess it would have been more interesting to see how a Sesame Street Live show in 1970 or 1971 would have been like. Can you imagine a Sesame Street Live with not only Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, and Prairie Dawn, but also Herbert Birdsfoot, Roosevelt Franklin, Roosevelt Franklin's Mother, Sherlock Hemlock, Herry Monster, Little Jerry and the Monotones, Farley, Harvey kneeslapper, Lefty, Guy Smiley, The Amazing Mumford, and Proffessor Hastings? Or even Sesame Street Live shows with Deena, Pearl, Chrissy and the Alphabeats, and Sam the Robot? I know that some of the characters I mentioned were in some of the early Sesame Street Live shows, and still, considering that Sesame Street Live began in 1980, it is odd that Sherlock Hemlock, The Amazing Mumford, Biff, Sully, and Don Music never appeared in any Sesame Street Live shows, and strange that Herry wasn't in more shows.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
there's was a 1973 album called SS Live or something like that released in 1973. http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=18665&highlight=Sesame+Street+Live. So who knows.
I was refferring to the live stage shows featuring walk-around costumes that have been produced every year since 1980. I knew about the album. Caroll Spinney's autobiography also mentioned that the cast toured around the country after Sesame Street became a hit, and said that Oscar originally wasn't included in the shows because of there being no good way to get him on stage, but then Bruno was created and Oscar could be on stage. It is weird that Oscar was able to be in Sesame Street Live while Bruno has never been in the show.

It seems to me that the only hand-puppet muppets who appeared on the Sesame Street Live album were Cookie Monster and Grover. I am assumming that Frank Oz was either there in plain site or hiding, but if Cookie Monster and Grover could go on stage, then I don't see why Oscar couldn't.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I realize what you were referring to I was just adding something extra. And so what if Oscar didn't appear on the LP? I don't want to disrespect anyones thoughts or feelings but you can't have everything.

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
Mumford in SS LIVE

Actually I think Mumford is in the Sleeping Birdie(1990) show, from what I hear, he is repsonsible for changing the Yellow Queen back to being from poka dotted to yellow when she accidently got mixed in her own magic potion.

mikealan

Reaction score
SesameStreetGuy said:
Actually I think Mumford is in the Sleeping Birdie(1990) show, from what I hear, he is repsonsible for changing the Yellow Queen back to being from poka dotted to yellow when she accidently got mixed in her own magic potion.
I remember seeing the walk-around version of Mumford on the Sleeping Birdie show when I was little too!

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
Man I wish there was pictures. Does anyone remember the whole cast or songlist of Sleeping Birdie?

Therecanbonly1

Reaction score
I don't remember that; but I do remember being in cub scouts and going to see the Ice Follies (Not Capades) that starred Sesame street Muppets (I think I still have the program somewhere)

idlelyla

Reaction score
All I have to say about Sesame Street Live is that my parents took me to it for five years in a row. Every year I'd stand up and try and get attention from one of the characters...and finally in the fifth year Herry Monster shook my hand and hugged me. I was the most elated little girl in the world that night! =D

I was born in '82 and I know my first show was when I was 3 or 4, so I'll have to find my books from the shows. :stick_out_tongue:

SesameStreetGuy

Reaction score
Aww you got to hug Herry Monster, lucky you, I vaguely remember seeing the Herry walkaround on promos on TV when I was real little.:stick_out_tongue: