What ever happened to Supermarket Sweep?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This was my favorite game show, and I used to watch it every day on PAX. Then one day, it didn't come on, and then, it never came on again. What happened to it? It was the best game show ever!

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
This was my favorite game show, and I used to watch it every day on PAX. Then one day, it didn't come on, and then, it never came on again. What happened to it? It was the best game show ever!
Yeah, D'Snowth, I liked it a lot too. I would watch it all the time with my mom and brother as a little kid when it was on the air. I don't know what happened to it. The host was a funny man though. Remember how when he would enter every episode with that little one foot skid thing? Silliness. I also liked Shop til You Drop. Remember that one? It used to be on after Super Market Sweep.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I also liked Shop til You Drop. Remember that one? It used to be on after Super Market Sweep.
Oh yeah, I remember that one now! I still prefered Supermarket Sweep. I remember, when they went out to do the shopping, and the music they played, I remember thinking to myself "Hey, that's the same music they play when Dexter was in the shower".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny you should say this... you know, Supermarket Sweep isn't new at all. In fact, I have an old article about it in a book about daytime television...

In the original 1950's (or was it 60's) series, during the pilot episode, someone had a heart attack during the "Sweep" portion of the game. Not kidding!

BEAR

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Funny you should say this... you know, Supermarket Sweep isn't new at all. In fact, I have an old article about it in a book about daytime television...

In the original 1950's (or was it 60's) series, during the pilot episode, someone had a heart attack during the "Sweep" portion of the game. Not kidding!
OMG! They didn't still air it, did they?

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
OMG, talk about your blasts to the past! I remember summer vacations eating lunch and watching that show.

-Kim

That Announcer

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Oh, good Lord. I also used to love that show! I think up here it came on Prime. I can't remember it spectacularly, except for the auctioneer-on-speed narration:

"OK, what's Bill going for, oh! It's the Obus Formes! Yes! (They always went for the Obus Forme stuff first.) What's next? OK, the steak! Yeah, there he goes, nice steaks, and next it's the detergent!"

Dantecat

Reaction score
I remember seeing it on Lifetime network in the early to mid 90's.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hadn't realize it's been around that long. When I watched on PAX, it was usually aired around 6 or 6:30 weeknights from 2001 (when I first discovered it) to 2003. Apparently, after checking IMDb, the version I'm talking about is "Supermarket Sweep (1990-2003) USA"

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Supermarket Sweep Oh I remeber that show. I really liked watching it but haven't seen it since 1999 due to not having ' The Game Show Network. '