What do you miss about "new" Sesame Street?

Gonzo

Reaction score
So Melissa and I were playing with our Perfectly Round-Headed Boy and talking about the things we miss the most about the "New" Sesame Street...or things we enjoyed about the show when we were pups that aren't there anymore...here are some of mine:

1) The Twiddlebugs--these were wonderful, inventive, creative characters who kids could relate to--haven't seen them on SS in quite a while now...berry sad.

2) Sherlock Hemlock--a classic character BASED on a classic character, performed flawlessly by Jerry Nelson.

3) Some of the filmed pieces in the middle of the show--"Milk-MIIIILK!!!", the paintbrushed-animated things that show the Big and Small Letters, and all of the Joe Raposo songs.

I hope they revive some of this stuff that was considered "timeless" for twenty+ years and then was suddenly dismissed by the current round of producers.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Drtooth

Reaction score
E-gad!!!

Originally posted by Gonzo

2) Sherlock Hemlock--a classic character BASED on a classic character, performed flawlessly by Jerry Nelson.
Me too! He was such a big character back in the day, now he's one of the "where are they now?" files with Don Music, Benny Rabbit, and Guy Smiley!
I just wished they'd bring him back some how. I mean, they brought Mumford back...

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
I hate the new format. Shrinks say that this is better for kids since kids don't have much of an attention span. If that's the case, then how come WE were raised on the old format and turned out just fine?

Anyway, I miss the crazy psychadelic skits they had. Like the one with the kid biking past those really weird things in order to get home. And they really should bring back the old "chef falling down the stairs" thing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Baby Rowlf
And they really should bring back the old "chef falling down the stairs" thing.
Agreed! Especially the one with Rowlf! I'd go ape to see that one!

Remember how they used to have sketches in English and spamish? And what about the race cars in "1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10"? Or Kermit? I bet this sale of henson is affecting that!

MIKEB97

Reaction score
I really miss the racecar/spies cartoons, the pinball cartoons, Mr. Hooper, David, , Jim Henson, Joe Raposo's instrumental ragtime tunes in films. Not to mention the original theme song. I also miss seeing Kermit and other characters in street scenes duirng the beginning of each season.

juliette

Reaction score
I miss the jokes that were aimed for grownups but that contained enough silly humor so that kids were entertained too.

Sesame Street seems to be doing less and less of this bi-level humor. They're focusing on entertaining younger children and of course that's a Good Thing, but they risk losing the parental audience that used to watch with their kids because they wanted to, not because they felt they had to.

This year's episodes seem a little blah to me, and I think that's the main reason why. They're not meant for me to enjoy. My favorite part is the Cookie Monster Letter of the Day, which is consistently funny.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by MIKEB97
I really miss the racecar/spies cartoons, the pinball cartoons,
Race cars yes, pinball no! The pinball cartoons are still there! Twice this season. They used 11 and i think 8 (it had bears catching the ball in cups). If I could remember the numbers of the episodes, I'd tell you when they're on!

And besides. I cracked up to no extent when Telly said "I bet you've never heard 'Inna Gadda Da Vida' played on a tuba before!"

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Juilette,

I couldn't agree more. Cookie Monster is and always will be hilarious. I'm glad Oz still does him in these skits and I like the dialogue he uses.

Have you noticed they toned down Oscar and the Count? Whenever the Count announces the number of the day, there is no thunder and lightening. Instead there is just balloons and confetti. Whatever happened to his sinister laugh? Whenever Oscar gets picked on, he whines. It's out of character for him to whine.

Drtooth

Reaction score
(Muppet reporter rushed in) Stand by for a Muppet news flash!!! The classic pinball segment is on episode 3987 (11) and the video "great Number Game." (12)

(GIANT PINBALL CRUSHES NEWS CASTER)