1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What are they called in other countries?

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by Drtooth, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

As we all know, Sesame Street has been made several different times all over the world. But My question is, what do they call the other characters (aside from their new main characters)? I have a list in the book version of Sesame Unpaved. But it only lists Ernie, Bert, Grover, Cookie, and Kermit. I know a bunch of mexican translations, seeing numerous episodes of Plaza Sesamo. Ernie is Enrique, Bert is Beto (Berto?), Cookie is Lucas, Kermit is La Rana Rene (?) Grover is Archibaldo (or, as we'd call him here, Archie), Prairie is Auraura, Herry has a name that sounds something like...eh...Gringaldo (?) and a bunch of others have the same name, with an accent (Big Bird becomes Beeg Bird). But what about other countries, other characters. If anyone knows, please tell me.
  2. Lu775

Lu775 Member

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

I know some of these for Germany's Sesamstrasse:

The Count = Graf Zahl ("Count of Counting")
    Cookie Monster = Krummel Monster ("Crumb Monster")
    Grover = Grobi
    Big Bird = Bibo

Most of the others have the same names, but there's a lot of crossover between German and American names anyway, so there would actually be someone named Oscar, Bert, Ernie, Kermit, etc....

For TONS more, check out BlueFrackle's site--it'll boggle your mind. Or possible scrabble it. Or Yahtzee.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  4. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Toothy,

In The Netherlands they Call Big Bird, Neef Jan.

Translated to Cousin Jon, i think !

LOL !

anywayz, Check my site Sesame World

See ya
  5. BlueFrackle

Quinn,

Thanks for the pluggin's !

Wait a minute, Do i have to pay you or somewthing... ?

See ya
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

There's no paying anyone around here, BlueFrackle....now BARTERING, that's another story COMPLETELY.

Heh-heh.

Quinnnnnnnn
  7. Drtooth

Thanks you guys. I know I can count on dudes like you...count! get it...hehehh heh uhh. Anyway Warrwic, I have been to that site. Very good...No... great site!! Never have I indulged in knowledge like that before. Kudos! You deserve Kudos. To bad I don't see those granola bars around anymore.
  8. Drtooth

OOPS!! I mean BlueFrackle! Silly me!
  9. BlueFrackle

Toothy,

Hey,
    Thanks, But i dont actually have a list of the English Muppets names in Different countries.

But there are people here who know !

See ya
  10. Joggy

Joggy Member

These are the different Dutch names:

Big Bird - Neef Jan ('cousin John' - our bird Pino's cousin. He never appears in SS episodes though)
    Cookie Monster - Koekie Monster
    Count Von Count - Graaf Tel
    Oscar the Grouch - Oscar de Nurks
    Kermit the Frog - Kermit de Kikker
    Prairie Dawn - Miesje Mooi
    Telly Monster - Teevee Monster
    Herry Monster - Harry Monster
  11. Drtooth

Thanks, Jogger! That's funny that Herry is known as Harry, though. For the longest time, I thought his name WAS Harry! As for Telly Being a TeeVee Monster, Television was his obsession before Triangles, but parents thought that was a bad influence!
  12. Drtooth

Here's a funny one. In Israel, they call Cookie Monster, Oogie. Strange, huh? He has the same name as the monster from Nightmare before Christmas? I think they just call Kermit, Kermit.