What Animals are the Muppets?

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Scooter is a another abstracted humanoid. Athough many people here will refer to him as gopher. it's actually a go-fer. it's an old stage term referring to the fact that his job was to "go fer" coffee or "go fer" sandwhiches.
*shrugs* According to Richard Hunt, he was part parakeet (or was it parrot?). It was an ad-libbed exchange between Richard and Jim backstage at TMS. Jim-as-Kermit asked Richard-as-Scooter what he was, and Richard-as-Scooter responded that his mother was a parrot, but they weren't sure about his father because it was during the war (I would have liked to have heard THAT conversation!).

Scooter is based very strongly on Richeard Hunt when he first joined the Muppets because he was always so eager.
I think it was Jerry Nelson who called him a "bouncy little puppy," and from the things I've read/seen, I believe it. Which is probably why it was so difficult to bring Scooter back; there'd be no duplicating Richard's personality (not that anyone should try).

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now before I go off on a tangent...

-Kim

Beauregard

Reaction score
Kim,

Do you honestly think that we should let Scooter die with Richard Hunt and not carry Richards memmery on through Scooter, Janice and Sweetums?

Beauregard

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
*shrugs* According to Richard Hunt, he was part parakeet (or was it parrot?). It was an ad-libbed exchange between Richard and Jim backstage at TMS.
That's too weird for me---I can't see any bird in Scooter, that's over the top even for the Muppets! Lol! I'd just like to think that was a joke on Scooter's part...ya know, somethin' "un-true", like the whole Muppet Babies thing.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Bryon,

You forgot to mention the fact that Gonzo is an alien is one of those (I wish) untrue things.

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
I think it was Jerry Nelson who called him a "bouncy little puppy," and from the things I've read/seen, I believe it. Which is probably why it was so difficult to bring Scooter back; there'd be no duplicating Richard's personality (not that anyone should try).

Yeah and in the Of muppets and Men TV special, Richard also makes mention of the fact that Scooter is basically him when he started working with Muppets.

--Matt

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I thought Gonzo was a Alien and Maynard Disney didnt base most of his characters on people in fact it goes like this:

Mickey-Walt
Minnie-no one
Donald-every human being
Goofy-no one
Pluto-no one
Daisy-no one
and so on

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Why do you say Mickey is based on Walt, and Donald is every human being? They weren't really based on anyone.

And if they were, it's pretty hush-hush on what characters were modeled after who (I mean, I can see how Mickey had a few Walt similarities in the beginning, but anything like that quickly faded out). In all my years of Disneyana, research, and collecting, I've never read in any of my books about the shorts characters being based on anyone.

kansasteen14

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Why do you say Mickey is based on Walt, and Donald is every human being? They weren't really based on anyone.

And if they were, it's pretty hush-hush on what characters were modeled after who (I mean, I can see how Mickey had a few Walt similarities in the beginning, but anything like that quickly faded out). In all my years of Disneyana, research, and collecting, I've never read in any of my books about the shorts characters being based on anyone.
I guess I shouldnt have said it that way but Donald was created as someone who people could relate with. Mickey was based off of Walt in ways especially in the fact that he did the voice until 1948