West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually wondered that same thing. :confused: I know a lot of people were nostalgic for the show (I'm not, although my mother tells me I loved the show when I was a kid), but I thought even the diehard fans hated the movie.
It made a crapload of money. It made 50 million over the budget domestically and 500 million internationally. The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but it still suffers from having a stupid premise and being a typical kid's film. The second one looks at least slightly better. I just wish Paramount made the film they were going to make.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I am exceedingly disappointed with Jim Carrey on this one. Everyone else involved in the movie thought he did an awesome job. Of all people in Hollywood, Jim should know that movies aren't a direct correlation between film violence and crazy people with access to guns. I liked his Funny or Die and all, but to come out and not support a movie that everyone involved wanted him in that's (possibly) one of the best things he did in years (He was freaking Awesome in Burt Wonderstone) is just a very disappointing action. Sure, we're all upset that Sandy Hook happened and nothing has come out of it to prevent that from happening again, but Carrey's beef is with idiot survivalist gun hoarders (the mother of the shooter was one) and politicians who are essentially hos for the NRA. Not a fantasy movie.
I understand his concerns about violence, but it doesn't ring true for me. I read some quotes from the movie's director and he said that Jim Carrey's character in the film refuses to fire a gun. So you'd think that he'd be okay with the film seeing that his character in the film does not support gun violence. I wonder if he's trying to disassociate himself with a film that's bad and look good in the process.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Didn't The Croods just come out?
It's like how a lot the current seasons of TV shows are put on DVD after they JUST came on.

But DreamWorks has always been like that: they planned on doing SHREK 2 before they even finished the original.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
But DreamWorks has always been like that: they planned on doing SHREK 2 before they even finished the original.
Weren't they planning Shrek sequels beyond the fourth one?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, it's been discussed in another thread (Worst CGI Kids Film), but yeah, they were planning on doing upwards of like six of them, but the particular point I was making here was that at the time of the original, they were already planning out the second one before they even completed the original.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
DreamWorks seems to have the worst case of Sequelitis than any other CGI animation company.

Drtooth

Reaction score
http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/croods-2-gets-greenlight-at-dreamworks-animation-737817.html

Looks like The Croods is getting a sequel. Didn't The Croods just come out?
Dreamworks has a habit of deciding upon sequels the second they have a good box office opening and subsequent weekend. Croods was the most successful film Dreamworks has had since Madagascar 3... and considering Turbo's lackluster performance, probably the last one they'll have for a while. Somehow, people didn't take to Rise of the Guardians, even though it was a solid film.

Yeah, it's been discussed in another thread (Worst CGI Kids Film), but yeah, they were planning on doing upwards of like six of them, but the particular point I was making here was that at the time of the original, they were already planning out the second one before they even completed the original.
The third one broke the franchise plain and simple. The second one was arguably better than the first, with a more fleshed out story line. The third one, while it had some nice concepts, pretty much retreaded the whole Poor me Shrek bit and Puss and Donkey are Frenimies bit. And said concepts took a sharp back seat to those. They had the conscientious decision to make the fourth film the last film, and wrote it much, much smarter than it's predecessors. It comes off as a nice ending to the franchise. Same deal with Madagascar. They thought about a fourth movie, but someone somewhere realized they ended the story right there, and that anything else would be a mindless retread that takes away the last film's happy ending.

If there's one thing that should cure sequelitis, it's someone stepping up and saying leave them wanting more.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia [ :sigh: ] DreamWorks is making a Kung Fu Panda 3. Kung Fu Panda was a great movie and all (and the sequel was even better), but do we really need a third movie? Usually three is where the franchise gets worn out. (Ice Age 3, Shrek the Third...Toy Story 3 averted it though)