West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cuz it did meh...okay at the box office and the small, independent studio that did it called it a win. It was the only movie in theaters at the time that qualified as family (minus Frozen, which already was out for 2 months), and it made just enough money to be called a win.

I'm just going to call it building a brand. Not just a franchise, but a brand. And it's probably a LOT more sequel worthy than "Wolf Film only Wolf Fans like."

We lost Pixar's Newt for that hot mess. Thanks, Lionsgate. :scary:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's going to be a SPACE JAM 2.

After all these years, there's going to be a SPACE JAM 2.

Now I wish I really did do a third and fourth installment of MORON LEAGUE, LATER! just to satirize sequelitis; I only got as far as one sequel, and I only did that because people asked for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's going to be a SPACE JAM 2.

After all these years, there's going to be a SPACE JAM 2.

I still can't believe how many people fell for that one. Don't worry, there isn't. And remember, we were supposed to have a live action Marvin the Martian and a live action Bugs Bunny movie by now. Those are 2 more movies we'll never see. Though the Marvin one did go to the test footage stage. And stayed there. There's nothing to worry about.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You sure? Because I've heard from multiple sources that there's a SPACE JAM 2 in the works. Is this an ellaborate hoax then?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd be more surprised if it isn't. There is no call or reason to make this film, and there have been multiple Looney Tunes based projects that never got off the ground. I don't think this one would be any different.

But it has been debunked. It's probably a circulating rumor that circulated more than the message that it is a rumor.

And frankly, I still don't believe Disney is doing a Live action Chip N' Dale (Rescue Ranger or not) film. Not unless I have hard evidence of them about to shoot the project. And I doubt that even if they're working on it right now, we'd see Space Jam 2 until 2016 or 2017.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'd be more surprised if it isn't. There is no call or reason to make this film
That's basically the thing about most sequels today: there's no call or reason to make them, other than the studios wanting to cash in on them.

As I've said many times before, there's absolutely no reason, after all these years, that Robert Zemeckis should be doing a Roger Rabbit sequel, and in CGI no less. The original was a groundbreaking classic and a treasure of film history, combining live action and animation in coexistence that only the imagination could dream of (seriously, Bob Hoskins's son was mad at him for not bringing him on the set so he could meet Bugs Bunny). Combining CGI and live action is less impressive, because, depending on how well it's done, CGI can seem life-like, so there's no sense of wonder or amazement there. And, as I said, it's been over 20 years now, any Roger Rabbit sequel at this point will only tarnish the credibility of the original.

We didn't need a Wizard of Oz remake/prequel, yet Disney did it anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I've said many times before, there's absolutely no reason, after all these years, that Robert Zemeckis should be doing a Roger Rabbit sequel, and in CGI no less. The original was a groundbreaking classic and a treasure of film history, combining live action and animation in coexistence that only the imagination could dream of (seriously, Bob Hoskins's son was mad at him for not bringing him on the set so he could meet Bugs Bunny). Combining CGI and live action is less impressive, because, depending on how well it's done, CGI can seem life-like, so there's no sense of wonder or amazement there. And, as I said, it's been over 20 years now, any Roger Rabbit sequel at this point will only tarnish the credibility of the original.
Any Roger Rabbit sequel will also be imaginary. There's no way we're ever going to get that film no matter how close they think they can get. If they absolutely needed to, I'd say go to the actual book sequel (which was written as a direct sequel to the movie) or better yet, take the script of a completely different movie like they did the first time.

But a RR sequel is never going to happen. The Blu-ray release of the film came and went with no fan fair, or as much as a T-shirt.

We didn't need a Wizard of Oz remake/prequel, yet Disney did it anyway.
Except Wizard of Oz is a series of books that's been overshadowed by one movie. I'm guessing it does tie into the old film, but I honestly cannot call movies based on novels remakes unless they directly follow the film. Most of these "remakes" are actually retellings that give a different interpretation of the story since they all detract from the books anyway. I hear that Oz movie might be, but I've never actually seen it. I think it's high time to abandon the 30's movie and do something original with the characters. At least adapt another one of the books.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's pretty much what MWoO did (take from the original books, as opposed to the movie), yet all everybody ever does is complain about how bad it was, when it was a heckuva lot better than IAVMMCM.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't wanna go back on that one, but it was an inferior example of a type of movie Muppet fans only forgave because Jerry Juhl wrote them. MCC and MTI were vastly superior classic retellings, MWOz was loud, dark, and depressing throughout.