Were Disney's lawyers at odds with Muppets' Oz?

Gusworld

Reaction score
I'm a bit mistrustful of Jim Hill's reports on Muppet matters -- I'm sure he does know a lot of people at Disney, but his stuff is always based on unnamed sources, and he tends to beat things up a lot.

A recent example of a clearly biased Hill claim about why Frank Oz no longer does the characters he orginated:

<<My understanding is that Oz had his initial falling-out with the Jim Henson Company (Or -- to be specific -- Brian Henson) during the production of "Muppets from Space."

Frank reportedly felt that Brian wasn't being supportive enough of "MFS" director, Tim Hill. More importantly, that Jim's son was more concerned with bringing that Columbia Pictures production in on time & under budget. Rather than giving veteran Muppeteers like himself, Goelz, Steve Whitmere & Jerry Nelson all the time that they needed to properly deliver quality performances with the characters that they'd been performing for decades now.>>

Given that Frank wasn't actually always on set for Muppets From Space -- he looped the voices, which is evident in some of the out-takes -- you have to wonder . . .

Cheers
Gus

beaker

Reaction score
Either way, this project was doomed from the getgo even when it was in JHC hands...so I can't blame Disney on this one. I can only wait til Friday and hope it's somewhat entertaining.