Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I have to agree with Jamie on that one. The movie trailer looks really lame and incredibly stupid. Looks like some cool special effects, but that's never something that sells to me, since all the movies look like that these days.

Drtooth

Reaction score
At the risk of changing the subject...

You know... as much grief as I gave Turbo, I kinda feel sorry for it. As absolutely stupid as the concept was, and how much it wanted to be Ratatouille, it wasn't a bad film. Not a great film, but not the worst thing to come out of Dreamworks. Certainly better than Sharktale, Shrek 3 and Bee Movie. I mean, I did like Bee Movie, but I agree it's strictly for fans of Jerry Seinfeld's comedy routine.

Plus, Samuel L Jackson was his usual awesome self in it... he really should have had more lines. And the character designs are pretty good. White Shadow kinda grew on me too. Somehow, this one scene that was sort of funny got stuck in my head one day and it just became funnier for some reason. Still, a huge step back in the wrong direction after they got some street cred with HTTYD and KFP. Still disappointed they didn't show the Mr. Peabody's Improbable History movie trailer yet.

But I digress... it really seems no one's going to see any films since Despicable Me 2. Why they chose to force so many films into a single period is beyond me. I'm glad Planes isn't doing that hot, but it seems as they're taking the mediocre box office opening as a win. Mainly because it's the top family movie (in 3rd), and quite honestly, nothing's even close to the 40 million mark. They really did design this for DVD, and unfortunately it might just be a hit there. I agree with Jamie and how he doesn't want to make Ender's Game a film franchise (and I agree for his reasons why). I don't want Planes to be a franchise because then we'll just get talking vehicles instead of any sort of variety from Disney. As it is, they still hang on to Cars too much, and I liked Cars. Both films.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You know what? Then make me happy and go see Red 2 instead! I'll drop the whole thing, lol. :halo:
It's already gone from the theaters, but I'll probably add it to my collection since I already own the first installment. :wink:

I have to agree with Jamie on that one. The movie trailer looks really lame and incredibly stupid. Looks like some cool special effects, but that's never something that sells to me, since all the movies look like that these days.
The previews try to tell you how exciting it is, but it's not matched by the action on the screen. It just kind of looks dull. It does have a great cast. I will eventually see it once it hits HBO. It's funny how these days a film debuts in a theater, stays there for up to 6 weeks, hits home video in 3 months followed by the movie channels in 9 months. It doesn't even take a year to get to cable anymore. Bypassing the film in the theaters really isn't that much of a sacrifice these days. My prediction is that Enders might get pegged as being similar to the failed After Earth. They're different films yet have some similar visuals and themes. Oh, and it was directed by the guy who made the first critically panned Wolverine film. This doesn't bode well for Ender.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's already gone from the theaters, but I'll probably add it to my collection since I already own the first installment. :wink:
I see it some theaters but yeah it's been hard. Though I heard it did OK worldwide. See that's when I hate a movie like Ender's Game that's all CGI action and no substance. Because it takes attention away from more deserving movies that actually had a decent script.

But thanks, I appreciate it. I don't go to movies much anymore, but I really had a good time with Red 2. :smile:

It really should have been released in the Fall, not in July with such a crowded line up.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
But I digress... it really seems no one's going to see any films since Despicable Me 2. Why they chose to force so many films into a single period is beyond me. I'm glad Planes isn't doing that hot, but it seems as they're taking the mediocre box office opening as a win. Mainly because it's the top family movie (in 3rd), and quite honestly, nothing's even close to the 40 million mark. They really did design this for DVD, and unfortunately it might just be a hit there. I agree with Jamie and how he doesn't want to make Ender's Game a film franchise (and I agree for his reasons why). I don't want Planes to be a franchise because then we'll just get talking vehicles instead of any sort of variety from Disney. As it is, they still hang on to Cars too much, and I liked Cars. Both films.

That's exactly why I felt that The Lone Ranger's box office failure is bad for us.

With the failure of John Carter and The Lone Ranger, as well as a poor result for Frankenweenie will make Disney look the other way on brand-new original ideas, and keeping sticking talking vehicles with googly-eyes in front of us.

Disney is very tight with money. Like most movie companies, they'll usually only make something when there is a large guarantee in money. Disney might decide that brand-new fresh ideas are bad risks, since they have a guarantee that they'll make more money when people go see Toy Story 4.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Summarizes Hollywood right now pretty well I would say, lol.
Not as such, but it's all about scale.

The Wolverine is doing well (made over its budget), but considered a disappointment because it's not making Iron Man 3 money. Now, you look at a weak box office month of August, and a small opening at the top is "successful" even though said films aren't even going to make budget. Sometimes if a film is a flop over here and a hit overseas, it's a flop no matter what. And, stupidly enough if a movie's a hit here, it can still be a flop if it underperforms in some foreign market. Essentially, in certain months, if a movie doesn't all the sudden poo out money the second it's released, it's either a "disappointment" or a "flop." Sometimes in slow months, they actually act like the number one spot, no matter how small the opening is, is a win.

And then there's the whole accounting system that means that you can't even profit off of a hit. It's quite stupid, actually.

My prediction is that Enders might get pegged as being similar to the failed After Earth. They're different films yet have some similar visuals and themes. Oh, and it was directed by the guy who made the first critically panned Wolverine film. This doesn't bode well for Ender.
After Earth failed because it was an ego piece. Will Smith turned down Django Unchained because the role wasn't big enough to do a film where his son and him were essentially the only people in the film. Throw in the pretty obvious Scientology themes, and you pretty much made a film that could damage your career. Ender's will get some sort of passive aggressive audience of "victims," but I doubt many film goers are going to pass up Thor to see that one. Especially since large portion of the Iron Man 3 audience flocked to see how Tony Stark was going to cope with the aftermath of The Avengers. I'm sure they'll do the same for Thor... or more likely, Loki.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate when someone makes a point after I posted something, causing me to double post, but...

With the failure of John Carter and The Lone Ranger, as well as a poor result for Frankenweenie will make Disney look the other way on brand-new original ideas, and keeping sticking talking vehicles with googly-eyes in front of us.

Disney is very tight with money. Like most movie companies, they'll usually only make something when there is a large guarantee in money. Disney might decide that brand-new fresh ideas are bad risks, since they have a guarantee that they'll make more money when people go see Toy Story 4.
Those weren't exactly original ideas.

Frankenweenie was too morbid for the younger crowd, who flocked to the more colorful and fun looking Hotel Transylvania. I loved Frankenweenie, but HT was a far more kid friendly film with wacky characters and toilet humor.

The Lone Ranger flopped because, among other things, we're talking about a character who hasn't been relevant for decades. I'm sure most of us know him mostly from references and parodies. Not to mention the critics essentially being completely confused by the darn thing. I heard a review that somehow hated the movie but liked it for being different from the other summer movies. Like the reviewer couldn't make up his mind about panning it or not. I'm sure the movie is far better than the critics said (they've been especially ornery this year). Not to mention the overly offended white people who were put off by Johnny Depp saying he was part some Native American tribe (don't get me started on that) and not portraying a character that was barely respectful at the time as a respectful representation of Native Americans.

John Carter got it the worst. NO ONE has heard of John Carter, it looked exactly like the Clash of the Titans sequel that came out at the same time... and over all, it was poorly marketed. I mean, you can say what you will for the quality of the film, but even a well marketed piece of garbage can do well. Disney only has itself to blame for that one. No "Of Mars" in the title, no "from the writer of Tarzan." Why should anyone see a movie based on something no one's heard of that looks exactly like something else that just came out? Again, quality of the film aside, and quality does not equal success or failure.