Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Man of Steel seems almost that far back.
Oh btw I did finally see that. You know I really liked the actor who played Superman, much more than I thought I would.

General Zod, well I like that actor on Boardwalk Empire, but he was totally wasted in Man of Steel. And they really should have just made him a completely different villain (same with the Star Trek movie, there was no need to call the bad guy Khan, beyond box office draw).

And it was a bit disturbing seeing Superman destroy the last remaining Kryptonians. Were we supposed to be happy about that?

But since I did like the Superman actor, I look forward to his take on Clark Kent if there is a sequel.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I liked that it wasn't trying to be the greatest superhero movie of all time. I consider this the third good X-Men movie along side the first two. The third installment was terrible, the first Wolverine film was a mess and First Class not only went against the history of the comics, they didn't seem to watch the movies that they tried to tie-into. I guess you either like Jackman's Logan or not. It comes down to that. I see him as the Christopher Reeve of the Marvel world. Perfect casting and a wonderful character. I'd like to see more movies like the last one. But, to each their own. :embarrassed:

I love Jackman's Logan. He's easily the best part of the X-Men. :smile: Just for some reason, a movie solely featuring him just can't seem to be any good. I don't know why.

I thought First Class was the best installment of the X-Men. What do you mean by contradicting the previous movies? I thought it all fit together very well. :confused:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Neill Blomkamp's Elysium opened at number 1 with $30.5 million at the box office last weekend, which is less than District 9 despite having more Hollywood star power. This was followed by We're the Millers ($26.6 mil), Planes ($22.5 mil), Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters ($14.6 mil), and 2 Guns ($11.1 million).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/11/elysium-debuts-atop-the-weekend-box-office

We can all breathe a little easier now that Planes isn't doing so hot even in the month of August.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I thought First Class was the best installment of the X-Men. What do you mean by contradicting the previous movies? I thought it all fit together very well. :confused:
I thought I would love First Class, and some of it is great, but some of the dialogue also made me cringe, lol.

I think the contradictions were things like Prof. X and Mystique being siblings when no such relationship was ever indicated in the previous films. At the end of First Class, Mystique feels bad about leaving Xavier, but in the previous films she tries to kill him like it's no big deal.

X2: X-Men United is still my favorite, but that's partly because I love Nightcrawler. :halo:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I love Jackman's Logan. He's easily the best part of the X-Men. :smile: Just for some reason, a movie solely featuring him just can't seem to be any good. I don't know why.

The movie featured one of the greatest errors in film that year! Young Professor Xavier loses the use of his legs at the end of First Class, yet is somehow walking just fine when he meets Jean Grey as an older Professor X in Last Stand. This was an error on par with George Lucas killing off Padmé in child birth and forgetting that Leia remembers her from childhood. I'm sure some fans can make excuses how such things can be possible, but these are obvious mistakes. :embarrassed:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well, that was an error to start with from the original trilogy. In the first movie (X-Men, 2000) Charles Xavier has no ability to walk. The Last Stand was the last in that trilogy. They should've realized it then.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, that was an error to start with from the original trilogy. In the first movie (X-Men, 2000) Charles Xavier has no ability to walk. The Last Stand was the last in that trilogy. They should've realized it then.
The scene I was referring to in Last Stand was featured in a flashback, yet it still took place after the events of First Class. Of all the things wrong with Last Stand, that part was actually correct. First Class is a beautiful film with some good performances, but no X-Men fan should hold that up as any standard of excellence in terms of storytelling. It's a mess. Half the theater shouted disparaging things at the screen throughout the picture. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it was a bit disturbing seeing Superman destroy the last remaining Kryptonians. Were we supposed to be happy about that?
With the exception of killing Zod, again, totally by accident during the pressure of the battle, as Zod was about to kill a family right in front of Superman's eyes, and Superman feeling very bad about it (which everyone seems to glaze over) he sent the last of the Kryptonians to the Phantom Zone. Originally, Zod was to also have been sent to the same Phantom Zone, but the writers felt it was anti-climactic. Plus, positive side here... no revenge plot for the sequel lets Lex Luthor get a nice antagonist role.

I still don't see why everyone's so upset about killing off the villains. The original Burton Batman films killed off every villain... and only The Riddler survived Forever in a mental ward.

Neill Blomkamp's Elysium opened at number 1 with $30.5 million at the box office last weekend, which is less than District 9 despite having more Hollywood star power. This was followed by We're the Millers ($26.6 mil), Planes ($22.5 mil), Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters ($14.6 mil), and 2 Guns ($11.1 million).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/11/elysium-debuts-atop-the-weekend-box-office

We can all breathe a little easier now that Planes isn't doing so hot even in the month
August is a crap month for movies. Especially since this August seems to be very active with releases. July was kinda weak, mainly due to so many movies coming out a week. Nothing really gets the big box office top that they should. Despicable Me 2 was the last film with a respectable opening. I worry for next year's Guardians of the Galaxy.

Planes may not be doing great, but somehow, I think Disney didn't care about the theatrical release anyway. That's why it was last minute and in August. They just want the brand out there for DVD releases and selling toys. I see it becoming a series of DTV projects after this film, much like the Tinkerbell series... unfortunately.

Still... I can't believe some company even bothered to make a Mockbuster version of it. Honestly, had Jon Cryer still been cast as Dusty, I would have at least given it a shot. Dane Cook is just keeping me from even being curious about it, even though John Cleese and Carlos Wazzisname that was the voice of Rocko are in it. Heck, Carlos's plane sounds and acts an awful lot like Carlos's character Juandissimo from Fairly Oddparents.

The plot just doesn't sound intriguing, it comes across like.. well, as an SAT would say, "Cars is to Scooby-Doo as Planes is to Jabberjaw." An inferior clone made by the same company (even though Disney's intent is expanded universe).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Due to another one of Orson Scott Card's latest stupidity stunts, (there are ones worse than this) I have decided to NOT see Ender's Game in theaters, or probably not at all. Wasn't that big of a fan either way, but I was planning to go with a friend to see it, but after recently reading about Card, I will not go to see or purchase something that he is behind.
I can't support any of this idiots nonsense. Therefore, I, and I suggest you all not go to see Enders Game when it hits theaters this November.

..and that's my speech.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Card is a complete A1 far right paranoid, schizophrenic psychopath who stopped writing sci-fi and started writing something even more hateful, ignorant, imbecilic, and incoherent than a Youtube comment. End of story. His comments make the Tea Party's craziest members seem reasonable. Seriously, if there's one guy who's exactly like Hitler, it's a weak president that not even his own base likes that can't even pass so much as a kidney stone without John Boener shoving it back in.

But that's pretty much on par for a "victim" that wants total "Patriotic" and violent overthrow of the government for allowing gays to live, going against his Space Jesus with a million wives religion.