Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I did see the movie. I thought it was OK.
There was less script than WALL-E even had. The whole movie was full of jaw punching and building smashing for nearly two hours straight, filled with incredible 3D graphics, but after two hours, you're really sick of it.

It's become a recent trend to make movies like that. The Avengers was one of the first to do it, and I loved The Avengers, but the only reason it worked was becuase of all the movies leading up into it.
There was no character development, no humor, and no real story to Man of Steel. Was not what I wanted to see in a first movie.
I think we saw different movies. MOS has a story (maybe too many stories), the lead character is developed (albeit through a series of flashback vignettes rather than front-loading the first hour of the film with lengthy origin explanations) and even though there is a lot of action, there's a lot more to the film. I understand not enjoying the picture on legitimate, insightful terms. I just sometimes think that a couple of critics will say something half-true and the rest of the public ends up parroting it as some sort of absolute.

In many ways, this film "couldn't win for losing" with some people. It's the superhero equivalent about making a film about Jesus. There are so many opinions about the icon. Some people are going to be purists, others are going to want see only their particular impression. There are always going to be some unsatisfied people. I think MOS is much braver than Nolan's Batman films or the Avengers. They boldly created a new take on a beloved character while honoring the 75 years of source material. Batman is a lot easier to capture because people are already rooting for him. Supes is tricky. The fact that Superman has so few limitations is a screenwriting nightmare that they expertly navigated. They found the center of that character. His reason. His purpose. They can now explore that more in the next picture.

I'd like to see more balance with the next film. I just don't buy the harsh criticisms.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've said it before. Those who think MOS is the bad Superman Film didn't see the last 3, and have all too rosy views on the original 2.

The truth is, if they made a straight up happy interpretation of Superman, it would be laughed off the screen even worse. Superman comes from an idealistic time, and that sort of thing would be subject to parody these days. Heck, they were subject to parody since he first popped up.

Would anyone want a Superman film that's a lame tongue in cheek lampshade hanging fest for 2 hours? No. Would anyone want idealistic Superman from the 50's where he has no flaws resulting in no personality? No! Then why does everyone act like they wanted Superman films they really wouldn't want?

I agree. Superman is complicated, mostly due to the fact he's been Flanderized and blanderized into Mr. Smiley Sunshine Man. They managed to give him a burden and smartly write for the character. They took away the too invincible for his own good aspect. Why isn't that applauded? Would Superman fans really rather the villain pull Kryptonite out of their butts, like in a cartoon show?

I can't believe all the hate this film gets when Superman 3 and 4 exist. I really can't.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I've said it before. Those who think MOS is the bad Superman Film didn't see the last 3, and have all too rosy views on the original 2.

The truth is, if they made a straight up happy interpretation of Superman, it would be laughed off the screen even worse. Superman comes from an idealistic time, and that sort of thing would be subject to parody these days. Heck, they were subject to parody since he first popped up.

Would anyone want a Superman film that's a lame tongue in cheek lampshade hanging fest for 2 hours? No. Would anyone want idealistic Superman from the 50's where he has no flaws resulting in no personality? No! Then why does everyone act like they wanted Superman films they really wouldn't want?

I agree. Superman is complicated, mostly due to the fact he's been Flanderized and blanderized into Mr. Smiley Sunshine Man. They managed to give him a burden and smartly write for the character. They took away the too invincible for his own good aspect. Why isn't that applauded? Would Superman fans really rather the villain pull Kryptonite out of their butts, like in a cartoon show?

I can't believe all the hate this film gets when Superman 3 and 4 exist. I really can't.
MOS has fared remarkably well considering the failed franchise reboot from '06. $643,857,505 worldwide so far plus $170M in production endorsement deals, and it's full-speed ahead on the sequel for '15. I wouldn't mind if the next film was just a full-fledged Superman story, but we know it'll be Supes vs Bats. Now the question is, who will play the new Batman now that Bale has exited? How much of Nolan's Batman will they keep and how much will they reinvent? My votes would go to Karl Urban, Michael Fassbender, Liam Hemsworth or Jake Gyllenhaal. Just no funky raspy voice please!

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I ain't comparing it to the originals. I haven't even seen the originals!
The only Superman movies I've seen were Man of Steel and Superman Returns (which I SUPER hated).

Just want to make a few things clear:
  • MOS was the first Superman movie I somewhat enjoyed. The character is finally 'cool' and has less strengths, which makes him more interesting.
  • I like Zod, since he has many of the same powers as Kal-El does, also making the movie much more interesting. Much better than Lex Luthor, who is a terrible villain, since he has absolutely no powers, which leads to no excitement in the film.
  • The back story scenes were great. Those were just fleeting moments though. I like the style that they did with that.
These were my thoughts when I arrived back from the movie, over four weeks ago.

Just arrived back fromMan of Steel.
Well, it’s definetley a different take on the movie, not always necessarily for the better, though. The acting was great, action, and music were all fantastic, but the story was terrible.
Not spoiling anything, but I will say that you’ll be let down if you were a big fan of Chris Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy. They should’ve just given him the entire directing job too. I’m sure he would’ve handled that much better. There was no character development, or story. It was basically just non-stop action, which is great, but by the time of the final battle, you’re already thinking “Haven’t we already seen enough building smashing and jaw punching?” This worked for The Avengers, only because there were movies focusing on each character leading up to the movie. In this brand-new Superman movie..it just doesn’t work. Dark Knightalso changed the character, but it at least had great story as well as great development.
They don’t change the actual Superman character, which is great. Everything around him is darker, which I don’t mind, but they could’ve handled it well.
You’ll be satisfied as soon as the first two scenes are over but when it gets to the time where it ends, you’ll be agitated in your seat and just hoping it ends soon and they wrap it up well.
No one will ever beat Christopher Reeve’s Superman, but they didn’t try hard enough.

(There’s some great hidden Smallville easter eggs! Keep your eyes open! I was told there’s a “Wayne Enterprises ad somewhere in the movie too. Didn’t catch that one though.)

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I was expecting Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 to be bad, but not THAT bad. It was just food pun after food pun. That'll probably be the bulk of the movie's humor, besides toilet humor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MOS has fared remarkably well considering the failed franchise reboot from '06. $643,857,505 worldwide so far plus $170M in production endorsement deals, and it's full-speed ahead on the sequel for '15. I wouldn't mind if the next film was just a full-fledged Superman story, but we know it'll be Supes vs Bats. Now the question is, who will play the new Batman now that Bale has exited? How much of Nolan's Batman will they keep and how much will they reinvent? My votes would go to Karl Urban, Michael Fassbender, Liam Hemsworth or Jake Gyllenhaal. Just no funky raspy voice please!
I'm disappointed they have to have a Superman/Batman film so immediately. I understand it's a compromise from a JLA movie, which could only strengthen the possibilities for one. But I really wish they'd do Man O Steel Man 2 first. They really need to deal with the aftermath of the first one, and let Superman grow even more as a character, not to mention if they plan to use Lex Luthor in the next film.

I'd love for the next film to deal with Superman trying hard to deal with what he did to Zod, yet having a more outgoing and upbeat attitude (the way he dealt with the government watching him at the end of the film is a big sign of that). And I'd also love to see that Luthor had some ulterior motive hand in rebuilding Metropolis. It would be cool if they could sneak some of this into Batman Superman and all, but I just see most of the focus of this project in rebooting Batman.

There's no doubt he's going to be played by someone else. It's been revealed that MOS does not exist in the same canon as The Dark Knight saga, so there's a lot of opportunity there.

That said, I hear the new Wolverine film is not only watchable, but completely salvaged the character on film. I just might check that out.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I was expecting Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 to be bad, but not THAT bad. It was just food pun after food pun. That'll probably be the bulk of the movie's humor, besides toilet humor.
Wait, it's out already? I haven't seen ANY ads for it on TV, so I guess I wouldn't know. :laugh:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's coming out in September. The trailer has been polluting theaters for the past couple months. Luckily I only saw it once...

There's nothing but horrible food puns throughout the trailer.

Example... "There's a LEEK in the boat." Camera pans to very obvious leek smiling.

The trailer is essentially that for the full length.

I would one day try to sit through the full first movie and maybe find something enjoyable in it, but this second film looks incredibly stupid. If anyone wants to see living food items in fantastic food looking settings, I recommend instead you catch Toriko.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Hey everybody, the Mickey Mouse short Get A Horse! will be debuting in 10 days for it's US Debut according to the Walt Disney Animation Studios Facebook page, anyways, here's the photo they revealed.