Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
But to leave the Orson Scott Cuckoo debate in the dust, I found This Article about the reasons Lone Ranger Flopped. And, let's face it, every single point it made is true. But it took me a little while to realize the thing about Westerns. Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinsky already had a hit Western. Rango. Now, it sucks there can never be a Rango 2 (don't see how, unless he gets lost somewhere else and goes on another self delusional, manipulative played out fantasy... and that would be a little predictable and repetitive), but it seems that Gore may have tried to get that feeling into this movie the wrong way.

Also, I like the point about how Johnny Depp is playing second banana to someone no one has ever heard of that hasn't held a movie together yet. Maybe Johnny should have played the Masked Man, and let some Native American actor do a P.C. version of Tonto.
Hmm...I can see some of that. The one thing I disagree with is that people don't like westerns. Pirate movies didn't fare well at the box office until POTC and that's precisely what they tried to remedy with this film. But westerns are charming. This seemed loud and explody. :crazy: I'll reserve judgment 'til I see it. Off to World War Z later today.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If nothing else, there's an unsettling parallel between Lone Ranger and Wild Wild West. I'm sure TLR is better than that thing, but... actually, now that I think of it, every Western movie they listed that bombed was explody. And to be fair, does anyone but a die hard DC fan know who Jonah Hex was?

As far as Pirate films go, POTC is still the only Pirate movie that makes money. That is, the only other pirate movies I've seen made since POTC were Pirates and Adventures with Scientists and a Veggietales based pirate film. They didn't do too well. At least the Aardman one fared better over seas.

Still, I think Johnny should have played the titular character. Instead they have a complete unknown (who may not even bounce back from this film) who's name sounds like a weapon Mega Man gets equipped with after defeating Army Man.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
If nothing else, there's an unsettling parallel between Lone Ranger and Wild Wild West. I'm sure TLR is better than that thing, but... actually, now that I think of it, every Western movie they listed that bombed was explody. And to be fair, does anyone but a die hard DC fan know who Jonah Hex was?

As far as Pirate films go, POTC is still the only Pirate movie that makes money. That is, the only other pirate movies I've seen made since POTC were Pirates and Adventures with Scientists and a Veggietales based pirate film. They didn't do too well. At least the Aardman one fared better over seas.

Still, I think Johnny should have played the titular character. Instead they have a complete unknown (who may not even bounce back from this film) who's name sounds like a weapon Mega Man gets equipped with after defeating Army Man.
I like Armie Hammer. Nothing wrong with him. He's been around a while. Such lesser-known actors help us forge connections with characters rather than the actors playing them but the trailers don't show us any reason to connect with him anyway. They do show a lot of reasons why we should connect with Johnny Depp. While I disagree with casting Depp as the Ranger, they should have if that's the actor they're planning to focus on. Otherwise it should have been the Tonto film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see what you mean, but when it comes to a mainstream movie for the general public, a relatively unknown actor can't hold audience attention, and they just can't connect, no matter how talented said actor is. They can connect to terrible famous actors, even if they hate them for some reason, but young unknowns are best left to side characters. Somehow, Armie Hammer as Lone Ranger and Depp as Tonto sort of feels like a Batman and Robin film with some completely unknown guy as Batman and Robert Downy Junior as Robin.

Of course, that's a general public thing. I actually quite like a film made up of unknowns and second bananas.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I see what you mean, but when it comes to a mainstream movie for the general public, a relatively unknown actor can't hold audience attention, and they just can't connect, no matter how talented said actor is. They can connect to terrible famous actors, even if they hate them for some reason, but young unknowns are best left to side characters. Somehow, Armie Hammer as Lone Ranger and Depp as Tonto sort of feels like a Batman and Robin film with some completely unknown guy as Batman and Robert Downy Junior as Robin.

Of course, that's a general public thing. I actually quite like a film made up of unknowns and second bananas.
Thor did well with a relatively unknown. So did the Amazing Spider-man. I think maybe it's the combination of a non-headlining actor paired with a long forgotten character that may have been a factor in the new Lone Ranger. I still like Hammer. I'll see it soon.

WWZ was pretty good. Not great. Just good. I hear the book was much better.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still find it absolutely strange that everyone's acting like The Lone Ranger flopping is like some sort of film apocalypse. Either for the entire industry or just Disney.

In every summer, due to the sheer volume of film, there is always a couple big budget flops that audiences just didn't connect with, or opened against strong competition. Disney has never had a hit film past June. And June's usually when the animated feature comes out. What's happening is something that was easily predictable, and everyone's acting like it's a huge surprise (especially those who's bad reviews were the reason people stayed away).

Iron Man made a crap load of money already. Made so much that Lone Ranger failing on a 300 dollar budget isn't even that big a loss for them. All this means is Disney needs another month to put big blockbusters in, and to make them just a bit more family friendly. That's actually one of the biggest reasons the film didn't do too well. Everyone said it was too dark and full of mood whiplash. But then again, so wasn't POTC and Rango.

I agree, I had a feeling the film wouldn't do well. Of course, if there's 2 summer franchises I really wanted to see bomb were Turbo (you hear enough of that yet?) and Planes. The latter, if only for the fact I don't want to see nothing but die cast planes all over the Disney Store that they'll never sell without clearance.

robodog

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say this I seriously doubt Turbo will flop. It deserves to but Advertising for it is everywhere. It's inescapable. That'll probably get more than a few butts in the seats.

I think Planes deserves to flop even more than Turbo. All it is is another blatant cash grab. It's made to sell merchandise. That's it. I sincerely hope the merchandise is so unpopular that they're still trying to get rid of it years from now. But they won't be able to. Because even the fire won't take it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Planes is put in August (a slow month for movies), which is one thing going against it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say this I seriously doubt Turbo will flop. It deserves to but Advertising for it is everywhere. It's inescapable. That'll probably get more than a few butts in the seats.

I think Planes deserves to flop even more than Turbo. All it is is another blatant cash grab. It's made to sell merchandise. That's it. I sincerely hope the merchandise is so unpopular that they're still trying to get rid of it years from now. But they won't be able to. Because even the fire won't take it.
Well, both films are lame attempts to sell toys and start franchises destined only to sell toys. I'm sure Turbo will be a hit with the booger eating crowd, but hopefully Despicable Me 2 (which, not only is more fiercely marketed, but has more tie-ins) will take a huge chunk out of it.

Other than that, I do dig Cars, but Disney hasn't got the message that the second outing wasn't as successful as far as the merchandise goes. They overestimated how well little die cast cars and other stuff sold (which is understandable, as they underestimated the first time).

Planes is put in August (a slow month for movies), which is one thing going against it.
August is terrible for movies. And it does have direct competition from Smurfs. Say what you will about Smurfs, but it was a strong first film, at least in terms of the money it made. Plus, while there are kids that like Airplanes, most kids like Cars far more. Trains would have an audience with train enthusiasts... but I don't think kids are going to flock to a Cars clone with a (as far as I can tell from the previews) weaker, redundant script and airplanes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A couple added things.

Firstly, while there weren't any actual cameos in Man of Steal, there's a lot more hinted at, as this article will show than just Lex Corp and Wayne Industries.

Interesting point, the Dark Knight films do not take place in the same universe.

Secondly... A Third Dumb and Dumber movie but this time it's a sequel, and Jim Carrey is breaking his no sequel rule just for this film.

Unfortunately for me, Dumb and Dumber is my least favorite of the first three Jim Carrey films. Sigh... too bad they can't make a The Mask 3 with him.