Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I predict $170M+ opening weekend for Supes. They've already fast-tracked the sequel that will be followed by JLA, both with the same Snyder, Goyer, Nolan team. Critiques are coming in. Mostly good so far. The several negative reviews are from the usual hard-to-please crowd of New York critics etc. Got my tix. I'm excited.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Major excited for Man of Steel too! I know I'll be a tad disappointed, but I can see myself loving this movie. Huge Chris Nolan fan too.
Going to a midnight screening this Thursday! :smile:

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
I'm avoiding any reviews of Man of Steel. I want to go in as fresh as possible - no more watching trailers or teasers, reading about the process of the film, etc.

7 p.m. Thursday can't get here soon enough. But there is also the new Supes comic, "Superman Unchained" that debuts tomorrow by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee that sounds very promising to tide me over until the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I predict $170M+ opening weekend for Supes. They've already fast-tracked the sequel that will be followed by JLA, both with the same Snyder, Goyer, Nolan team. Critiques are coming in. Mostly good so far. The several negative reviews are from the usual hard-to-please crowd of New York critics etc. Got my tix. I'm excited.

I saw two this morning, one from a comic book site, and it really seems like everyone's expecting something out of a Superman film that a Superman film can't logically deliver. And of course, the one that wasn't from a comic book site whined about how they make comic book movies period, instead of pretentious pieces of crap about old people falling in love and slowly dying. You know...the usual "why can't they make more movies NO ONE but pretentious people would pretend to like" stuff.

Anyway, I'm still excited for it, it looks enjoyable, and I'm sure people who didn't like the film would prefer a film where Superman is very nasty to Jimmy Olsen (for his own good) and having Jimmy randomly turn into things. :rolleyes:

Still, kinda more excited about Monsters University.

Not excited for Wolverine.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
As one of the biggest comic book fans on this site, I must confess I have a hard time caring for Superman. It's hard to care about a superhero who's so powerful his villains seem like the underdogs. Just judging from the trailer, it looks like the movie is going to be incredibly slow, with Superman moping around in a beard for the first half of the film. Dark Knight opened with Joker robbing a bank; Avengers opened with Loki destroying an entire S.H.I.E.L.D. facility. If Superman opens with Superman cleaning boats and hitchhiking, I'm straight up walking out of the theater.

Drtooth

Reaction score
No... everyone knows its going to start off with the same origin we've seen so many times.

Like that Cracked article stated, there's too much about Superman that makes him too perfect. Mopey Superman kinda has to be a thing to draw in any drama. Least we forget, Superman came out in the 30's, and we're far too jaded for a big happy sunny Superman film to not be a stealth parody of itself. And as I said before, the (arguable) best modern version of Superman just ended a few years ago, and he wasn't even Superman till the last episode. Superman hasn't been able to carry a cartoon series that long, but succeeds in group programs like Super Friends (pretty much the reason everyone's bored with Superman and hates Aquaman) and Justice League. Heck, when teams up with Batman on a Batman series, it means it's the last season.

Of course, as I said before, we could always have a movie where Lois Lane goes back in time and seduces him as a Baby.

Edit: Seems they're considering a sequel already and I hope if the film does only so so, they still go forth with it... look how much Dark Knight eclipsed Batman Begins. But if this first film is all establishmental, a second film has promise, just because it no longer has to establish anything.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No... everyone knows its going to start off with the same origin we've seen so many times.
I am really looking forward to the day when Hollywood stops being lazy and abandons origin stories, lol.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I have to admit to not being a fan of those whining about Superman. I enjoyed the first two Reeve pictures and I thought Superman Returns was a noble effort. It was also the last nail in the coffin of that take on Superman. It created a sense of closure for that history. Now this is a grounded, darker take. No, not because "everything has to be dark now." It's because comic book characters are supposed to reflect the times we live in. The day-glow boyscout in tights no longer speaks to this generation.

There's an incorrect argument that somehow Superman doesn't connect with most people the same way that Batman does. I think that is shortsighted. Most Americans have more in common with the guy who comes from a modest home with loving parents. Most people understand what it's like to feel like an outsider in their formative years. Most people don't know what it's like to grow up amazingly rich or have the type of vigilante anger of Bruce Wayne. I'm not taking anything away from the legitimacy of either character by stating that. I just think people have the hearts of each character flipped. And that is what should speak most to people. Not the powers, not the spectacle, but the beating heart of the character.

As for Supes' powers in this, they attempt to ground them in science as much as possible. They have also paired him against villains of his own kind to make this an even fight. Nonetheless, his powers are not what define him. His choices do. Anyone who has lead a team of people in any capacity knows that there are often hard decisions to make and sometimes there's no one perfect choice. That is how I see Superman. I actually think he is a darker figure than Batman or any of DC's characters because he has the weight of the world resting on his shoulders. The fact that he remains upbeat and retains his integrity are testaments to the human spirit, not an alien one.

Anyway. I'm excited about the film. I hear it's solid with action, unlike last time, and it retains all the most important parts of they mythology. My tickets are ordered for Friday. I can't wait!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to the day when Hollywood stops being lazy and abandons origin stories, lol.
Lazy isn't the right term for it. The proper term is "Viewers are Morons." Origin stories are kinda enforced, as not everyone who's going to see these movies are going to pick up comic books or even bother with a Wiki search on the characters. And while there are the comic book characters that everyone knows the origin of, like Superman, who's going to recite the Green Lantern origin word for word that doesn't read comics? And Green Lantern is the worst offender of info-dump as far as films go. It's a very convoluted story, and the film switches between all the big fat long story of what Green Lanterns are and the other big offender of Super Hero movies... that sequence where the civilian runs (or rather flies or swings) around like an idiot discovering their powers. THAT is something that needs to be completely cut out of Super Hero films.

In both the Tim Burton and Chris Nolan first Batman movies, they were able to get the "parents getting shot" bit to a mere mention or a small reenactment. The Tim Burton film absolutely needed that sequence because they changed the origin to accommodate the film's major plot point. Other heroes aren't so lucky.

But overall, it HAS to be done. All these Super Hero movies are the beginnings of the story where we have to discover the character before they become something. I'd love to see a super hero movie start off in the middle of the action, but that's something they can only get away with in a sequel.

I have to admit to not being a fan of those whining about Superman. I enjoyed the first two Reeve pictures and I thought Superman Returns was a noble effort. It was also the last nail in the coffin of that take on Superman. It created a sense of closure for that history. Now this is a grounded, darker take. No, not because "everything has to be dark now." It's because comic book characters are supposed to reflect the times we live in. The day-glow boyscout in tights no longer speaks to this generation.
I totally agree. Not to mention the fact that other Super Heroes are more famous for being dark and tortured than Superman. There's some Flanderization down the line (again, I blame the crappy Silver Age and Super Friends for that), and all the subtlety of the character has worn off (unless you read his comics). Meanwhile, there are great stories like "For the Man who has Everything" (which he's basically asleep for, but it's rife for character development) that just aren't reaching the mainstream. Batman's an easy sell because there's nothing but Batman projects. Now we can't even go a 2 year period in-between Batman cartoon shows. Batman, including the 60's series and cartoon, has had 9 films. Only 2 of them were terrible by general consensus (I kinda dug Forever, though). Superman has had 6 including the new one... the third film was garbage, the fourth film was a joke, people seem to really hate Returns, even though it goes out of its way to correct those last 2 films.

This film looks, if nothing else, like the potential for something good, with something even better down the line. There's a lot of establishment stuff in this film, no doubt. But if it's successful and we get Man of Steel 2, something tells me that film's going to be something even greater.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
RT's general consensus: Fresh

"Superman's return to the big screen is mostly successful, as Man of Steel provides enough exhilarating action and spectacle to overcome its occasional detours into generic blockbuster territory."

I don't really see any bad in that. They've already greenlit the sequel and JLA with the same team. I think most people are gonna like this take.