Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Scooterforever

Reaction score
When it comes to Moulin Rouge, I have to agree with Miss Piggy...

"Would Everyone stop singing different songs? I can't remember what I was singing!"

Still, zero wish to see this film.
I didn't like Moulin Rouge. My parents dragged me to it when I was young. The covers of modern day songs felt really awkward, forced, and out of place. I'm a big fan of the Great Gabsy, and Decaprio, Maguire, and Mulligan are all great actors, but once I learned of the director that pretty much killed my expectations:sympathy:.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
You shouldn't judge by that. I hated Tim Burton as a director, therefore I had no interest in seeing Frankenweenie. But I eventually decided to see it, and it's one of my favorite movies ever. And Tim Burton still remains my least favorite director.

You might be surprised by it. Anyway, I think the Great Gatsby will be..well, Great.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
You shouldn't judge by that. I hated Tim Burton as a director, therefore I had no interest in seeing Frankenweenie. But I eventually decided to see it, and it's one of my favorite movies ever. And Tim Burton still remains my least favorite director.

You might be surprised by it. Anyway, I think the Great Gatsby will be..well, Great.
I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I'm not holding my breath.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
After all these years, I've finally seen Jurassic Park. I decided that since I'll see it anyway sometime in the future, I might as well see it in 3D. It definetley enhances the watching-experience. I wonder how people watched it before it was in 3D...

It's one of those movies I think is very overrated for some reason. I felt it took a long time to get into the excitement that the rest of the movie had, and also, the ending felt very weak to me.

I was thinking: Are they considering making a 3D version of Back To The Future? I know it doesn't have that in your face 3D-ness that Jurassic Park has, but I can see it being a big money maker.
I would just love to see that on the big screen, and digitally enhanced too. I wonder if that idea ever came up at Universal.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
No, I know it has a huge fan-base. No surprise to that.

I guess what I mean to say is, as I feel with most 3D movies that I see, is that it's hard to watch 2D movies after I already saw it in eye-popping 3D.
The 3D enhanced the experience so much, that I don't know how anyone could not watch it in 3D from now on. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly don't buy it. 3-D, unless in animation, is blurry and distracting. Even in Animation, it makes it hard to focus on a single point in the background. The thing makes me blink and it screws up my eyes. I can take the gimmick for a 90 minute movie, but for the various super hero movies I've had to see in 3-D because they didn't have any 2-D showings, it was relentless. Sure, it was cool for the special effects scenes, but the talking dramatic tension scenes made me cross eyed.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
After all these years, I've finally seen Jurassic Park. I decided that since I'll see it anyway sometime in the future, I might as well see it in 3D. It definetley enhances the watching-experience. I wonder how people watched it before it was in 3D...

It's one of those movies I think is very overrated for some reason. I felt it took a long time to get into the excitement that the rest of the movie had, and also, the ending felt very weak to me.

I was thinking: Are they considering making a 3D version of Back To The Future? I know it doesn't have that in your face 3D-ness that Jurassic Park has, but I can see it being a big money maker.
I would just love to see that on the big screen, and digitally enhanced too. I wonder if that idea ever came up at Universal.
You just brought up 2 of my all-time favorite films. I can understand your criticism of JP, even though I loved it. I do feel there could've been more to the ending than just the survivors escaping, like Hammond explaining how he plans to deal with the gigantic mess he created or expressing sorrow for the people who died (Muldoon, Ray Arnold, Gennaro). I would scream like a little schoolgirl if they announced they were re-releasing Back to the Future in theaters nationwide. Unfortunately another sequel seems out of the question due to Michael J. Fox's unfortunate struggles with Parkinsons, but a re-release would be great too.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
No, I know it has a huge fan-base. No surprise to that.

I guess what I mean to say is, as I feel with most 3D movies that I see, is that it's hard to watch 2D movies after I already saw it in eye-popping 3D.
The 3D enhanced the experience so much, that I don't know how anyone could not watch it in 3D from now on. :wink:
3D can be terrible of overused. Also, I wear glasses. People who wear glasses automatically have a disadvantage when it comes to 3D. You either have to wear the 3D glasses over your normal glasses, which sometimes causes the 3D effects to look worse, or take of your normal glasses and then can barely see the movie. And really, just how often can you watch a movie with a million things flying at you?

I have screwy depth perception to begin with, and seeing things come at me like that makes me uncomfortable and makes me sick after a while. I went to some 3D show about fish at an aquarium and I ended up not watching it with the 3D glasses about halfway through because I couldn't take it anymore.

Coraline had good use of 3D because they used it to give the movie depth, rather than throw everything possible at you.

3D really does ruin the experience for someone with terrible eyesight or possibly someone who gets motion sick. YOU may personally be able to handle 3D, but not everyone physically can.

I don't get why they are suddenly trying to push a technology that's been around since the 50s. Yeah, the technology is better, but people act like 3D is this amazing new advancement and its not...

Drtooth

Reaction score
3-D was kinda introduced because too many people were waiting for the films to hit DVD and legal phone downloads... because, you know... it's every director's intent to have their creation viewed on something smaller than a postcard. :rolleyes:

It worked initially, Avatar made a crapload of money (mainly due to 3-D sales), and the 3-D sales pushed box office sales up. Then they got hubris, and raised the prices and made every film 3-D. And now, everything has to be 3-D. I remember when the term Hi-Def was used on sunglasses. They were no different than any other Sunglasses. Same thing here.

3-D works on some films, on others, it's just blurry and fuzzy and distracting. Though, there are films I really regretted not seeing in 3-D, some of the live action ones I've seen I'd give or take that. It was pretty good in parts of Avengers, it was hardly noticeable in other scenes.