Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh... triple post.

Even though the movie hasn't even been released yet (just a couple more days), they're already working on a second Lego movie!. And it's just on the positive reviews and projected Box Office alone.

Personally, I'm extremely excited for this film. The Justice League and Mikey from the Ninja Turtles in one film! Will Arnet's Batman already stole the show in the trailers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Looks like they were right in planning a sequel, at least fiscally.

The movie took in almost 70 million bucks this weekend. It BETTER have. The theater I saw it in was so crowded, I had to sit in the waaay back. It was like watching it on one of those phones.

Totally worth it, of course.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I tried to see The Lego Movie this weekend, but it was sold out way in advance. Poo. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be around for a while!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Looks like they were right in planning a sequel, at least fiscally.

The movie took in almost 70 million bucks this weekend. It BETTER have. The theater I saw it in was so crowded, I had to sit in the waaay back. It was like watching it on one of those phones.

Totally worth it, of course.
Was there a post-credit scene in The Lego Movie? I'm going in a couple days to see it and want to make sure I don't miss anything.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Only the theaters underestimated Lego. It should have been on more screens.

Also, who knew Frozen would kick the butt of everything Pixar has released since Toy Story 3? And the film has two female protagonists! $913M worldwide and counting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Only the theaters underestimated Lego. It should have been on more screens.
To be fair, I saw Lego at a smaller, independent theater. They don't have many screens to begin with, but I'm bummed the showing I got wasn't in the huge auditorium theater. Only the 2-D showings were.

But darned if they didn't completely blow away expectations. The projected forecast was maybe 40 mil. And that would have been considered a pretty strong opening, considering it's February, and they'd probably make some of that money during regional February breaks or weekends. But WOW! They had the strongest movie opening so far this year. Everything is Awesome indeed.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It also helps that it had no competition either, unless you count the two kids' movies that are already out: Frozen (which is still holding on really well) and The Nut Job.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Clearly. Would you believe out of a huge group of parents and kids, I only saw one walk into Nut Job. NJ did alright considering it was the only kid's movie up until that point, but it didn't explode like Lego did on opening weekend. (High) Quality of the film aside, they did hype the heck out of it. While I probably would have seen it eventually without that help, the constant TV spots and trailers made me so inexplicably excited that even 3 days away, Friday didn't come fast enough (even though I saw it Saturday). I'm sure that level of excitement multiplied by the thousands for kids.

Nut Job's advertisements, at best, seemed to say "Hey, look what you can do after Christmas vacation's over on a cold weekend that will probably kill some time." Lego's basically said "If you do not see this immediately, you'll regret it forever."

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Lego Movie didn't need that much hype to suck me in. All it took was the one trailer and I was hooked. It looked really funny, I loved the idea of those universes crossing over ala Roger Rabbit via the shared Lego universe, and the headbangin' version of Take On Me was the cherry on top. I didn't see any other commercials or adverts, as I don't watch TV. But after I saw that trailer I knew I had to see the movie.

Stoopid sold-out theater.