We Have a Picture of Walter AND MORE NEWS!

dwmckim

Reaction score
I don't think the dual eye mechanism has anything to do with what's wrong with current Gonzo's look. It's a combination of the nose being too big (which is what throws off the eye focus at certain angles - if you replaced it with a better shaped/sized nose, the eye focus would like fine) and a bit more puffiness in the fur on the sides of his face (on the one hand i'm glad Disney addressed that because i hated how generic Gonzo had been for the last several years before this latest rebuild but they just went just ever so slightly overboard. From some angles Gonzo looks great; other angles, awful. Guess he needs to start telling the cameramen to make sure they get his "good side"

As per Walter, from the original description that came out way back when, the first thing that came to my mind was Warren the Ape from Greg the Bunny. Looks like they went a little more humanoid but it's still open to interpretation enough to still do the "what are you?" jokes. Love the expression on his face as it seems to capture the character brief. I'm just anxious to see him in actual 3d action since the EW pic just seemed a bit to poser-ish for my tastes (straight on head shot being kind of flattened - can't really glean what shape he would take on in profile especially in regards to the mouth)

Since he's being "celebrity-voiced", whoever puppeteers him will have to do really well with the movements since the puppeteer won't be providing the voice and the simpler looking puppets can really be godsends in terms of movements/expressions (Kermit, Red, some of the small brown AMs that Kevin often does hysterically)

muppetperson

Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all.

Let's be honest;

Kermit is not detailed at all.

Neither is Dr. Honeydew, or Scooter, or Beaker

Most of the classic Muppets are NOT "detailed" at all. They are very simple, yet they DO have a charm.

It is NOT their appearances that are complex, but their personalities.

In fact, new Muppets didn't start to look more complex and detailed until the Jim Henson Hour.

I really wish that folks would stop trying so hard to find something wrong.
I disagree.The Muppet show characters are quite complex and original with details.They may look simple at first glance, but when you study them, you will appreciate the effort that went into their design.Such as giving Kermit his unique pupils and collar.
Another unique feature is to have Scooter's eyes and glasses in one.look at the designs of Statler and waldorf, Swedish Chef,etc, etc. There doesnt appear to be much planning for Angelo or walter,who looks like a whatnot that was created in 5 minutes.
Seems the designers are trying to copy a style of no eyes or no nose, but there is more to it.If you dont give a character a nose, then the head shape should be more like Scooter's,where you can get away with it, because his face comes to a point.Walter looks more like a Muppaphone.

Luke

Reaction score
The bottom line is, if Angelo and Walter were smack-dab in the middle of the original Muppet Movie final, or in one of the famous group shots with Jim Henson, no one here would bat an eye.

Its only because they are new that they are being judged so much.
I disagree, i think it's because they are being put up there as main players. Sure, we always used to have whatnots and background characters who were like this, but even going back to Clifford or early Pepe/Seymour, Clueless Morgan - the ones who Muppet fans embraced more were generally the ones who had a look that fitted in with the classic characters, not contrasted against it.

Obviously that may be the idea of Walter, so fair enough. I'd just like to see some more "Muppety" new Muppet characters, rather than ones who aren't so strong and just don't look as interesting. They are so basic, they could have been made at the Whatnot Workshop at FAO quite easily. It is the personality to an extent, but i think its a whole package thing.

I love Scooters Jacket in the picture, and i also love the way the rat characters are in this, and the Muppets cooking. It looks like they are going big on rats, and i hope big on penguins.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
yeah you did hear it. when the first script was posted, it said something about walter being a plain brown muppet and there would be a running gag about what he was
Well, they definitely got the plain muppet part right. Maybe that was their intent if they are going with the running gag.

When I see him I think of somebody spending 5 minutes on the FAO Schwarz Build-Your-Own Whatnot site. Doesn't seem to be a lot of thought in him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can I say I didn't expect Walter to look like he came straight out of Solid Foam? I don't find him bland or plain so much as I find him a very small little guy who just wants to make the big time, and a simplistic AM childlike look seems to work well for what they're going for. I actually like how he has no nose. He does look a bit Sesame Street like (he'd fit in well there) but I think that's what they're getting at. Sort of making him an every man/kid/youngster with a cute-ish, warm look to him.

beaker

Reaction score
I agree, i get that he is supposed to be "human" but all of these new puppets coming out of the "Heap" are just so bland looking. There's just no detail to them, Muppets are meant to be beautiful detailed classic characters, you put something very plain with them and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Obviously thats the point with this, but i'd like to see some actual Muppety new characters.

I'm excited this movie is happening, but i think people want to see the classic Muppets back at their best, and it seems like they are being made the background players in this film. People will just get bored with it. Already the media are looking at this as a Segal movie, not a Muppet one.
One of the aims seems to be to market this as a Segal movie, for fans of Sarah/Greek and HIMYM as well as the hip Apatow going crowd. So they may go out of their way to shape the film in that direction.

I am taken aback how the core Muppets seem to be in the backseat this go around, which doesn't make sense. It's almost like they should have made THIS project a side movie. I mean, who says we can only have one Muppet movie every zillion years? I say make a romantic comedy with humans that has maybe a couple muppets, make a full on Kermit and gang muppet movie, side movies, etc.

And I have to agree...to me Angelo and Walter look exactly like those generic "professional hand rod puppets" sold on ebay for churches and other stuff.

But the idea of the core Muppets not being at the forefront worries me now

beaker

Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all.

Let's be honest;

Kermit is not detailed at all.

Neither is Dr. Honeydew, or Scooter, or Beaker

Most of the classic Muppets are NOT "detailed" at all. They are very simple, yet they DO have a charm.

It is NOT their appearances that are complex, but their personalities.

In fact, new Muppets didn't start to look more complex and detailed until the Jim Henson Hour.

I really wish that folks would stop trying so hard to find something wrong.
Not detailed so much, as the shape, contour, and style that made those classic guys great.
The Creature Shop meets Muppet look for the Muppet Television/JHH show may have been too much for people, as we sadly have not seen Digit, Leon, Lindburgh and company since.

And I'd have to strongly disagree. The original and later evolved Don Sahlin and Bonnie Erickson Muppets even in early forms bore a striking iconic look. Scooter I could see people seeing as plain, but even then he has a definite shape to him

But I agree 100% that it's all about the personality, as that's going to be key to this Walter character

beaker

Reaction score
This is exciting, some personal thoughts,
  • I won't judge on Walter until I see him in action, with a voice, etc. But I love the idea, I really do, since he is a humanoid, he is sort of bland yes, but look at Nigel or Wayne, or George the Janitor, those designs are very simple.
  • This spread makes my heart just simply explode
  • I think that Pepe' could sit out on this, this is sort of a reintroduction to the 'Classic' muppets from what i've been reading, which is what we want, this is a new adaption on a franchise, and the fact that the movie is simply being called "The Muppets," i think works for what they are trying to achieve.
I agree that for what they are going for, a zealous wannabe but likeable humanoid fan who aspires to meet and fit in with the core Muppet gang, it certainly works. Though, if this is going to be the "face" of the movie and have subsequent merchandise...he does seem a bit plain. This Walter kid seems earnest.

That spread is simply amazing, and hopefully we'll see more of these. It certainly recalls the great days of the Muppet magazine

But "Pepe sitting it out" makes no sense, given the prawn is part of the "main core 5" of the Muppets next to Piggy, Kermit, Gonzo and Fozzie(with Animal and Rizzo of course)

I doubt it. That's from Henson, not Disney, though it seems some of the puppets used there were in post-sale Muppet productions. Still, Henson likely won't be involved with this movie.

Looking at the puppet, I feel he looks like he would belong on Sid the Science Kid.
Sid the science kid was the first thing that came to mind, next to Avenue Q:smile: In Puppet Up/Stuffed and Unstrung I believe they are using a mix of original, and then pre and post Henson buyout including: Animal Jam, City Kids, Bear in the Big Blue House, and even a few from the 2005/2006 show Statler and Waldrof From The Balcony

beaker

Reaction score
Since he's being "celebrity-voiced", whoever puppeteers him will have to do really well with the movements since the puppeteer won't be providing the voice and the simpler looking puppets can really be godsends in terms of movements/expressions (Kermit, Red, some of the small brown AMs that Kevin often does hysterically)
I wonder how well the dub will be, as Im so used to associating a character's voice with the person performing him(save for points where Oz or Nelson couldnt be on set) I wonder if they'll teach Cera a little bit of onset puppety? :excited:

Walter looks energized, but not necessarily Hensonesque or too terribly distinct. I think Muppets Tonight really spoiled us for top-notch puppet design. Even the less interesting characters had a beautiful look to them. But then there are always the Bubble Bills with the generic look. Both Walter and Angelo are missing that Henson-branded simplistic look. I still think Watler pulls it off better. There's just not much life to Angelo's face. There's no vivid contrast in color or personality to his simplistic design thus rendering him kind of mush. Again, he's not bad. Just no spark. It's actually a little too clean looking. Our favorite Swede has so much character to his face even though he lacks eyes. The wild bushy brows, mustache and facial contours make him interesting to look at. Still, a meh-muppet is still superior to most other puppet gangs IMHO.
I've noticed that too... that Muppets Tonight took on a little bit of Sesame Workshop influence, and it worked wonders to me. Van Neuter, Sal, Pepe, Seymour, Nigel the Diretor, Big Mean Carl(Sooo glad they've brought him back in a big way), etc all had this colorful amazing look.

angelo and walter just don't have the same "look" as the rest of the muppets. for some reason they just don't fit. they don't look right to me.

i also agree that the pig needs a makeover. the head, the hair. it's all wrong for piggy. go back to classic caper piggy, that's what i say.

also, gonzo needs to be fixed. i'm sorry, but his eyes-rully? who decided to do that? i don't know what happened, but the muppets are starting to look all wrong.
Piggy looks a tad bit off, but my goodness Gonzo looks like he's been replaced by a shrimpier doppleganger knockoff. The eyes are way off, his whole frame is off. Im usually not one to criticize puppet builds(even the "wild hairy animal") but my goodness. Why did they replace the muppets.com/letters to santa/youtube video Gonzo? That WAS Gonzo, this...I dont know what this "Gonzo" is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
One of the aims seems to be to market this as a Segal movie, for fans of Sarah/Greek and HIMYM as well as the hip Apatow going crowd. So they may go out of their way to shape the film in that direction.

I am taken aback how the core Muppets seem to be in the backseat this go around, which doesn't make sense. It's almost like they should have made THIS project a side movie. I mean, who says we can only have one Muppet movie every zillion years? I say make a romantic comedy with humans that has maybe a couple muppets, make a full on Kermit and gang muppet movie, side movies, etc.

And I have to agree...to me Angelo and Walter look exactly like those generic "professional hand rod puppets" sold on ebay for churches and other stuff.

But the idea of the core Muppets not being at the forefront worries me now
That has always been the concern since I heard about the project's plot. I'm thinking we're going to get something better than the combination of MCC human and Muppet. They were'nt even close to the forefront there. I pray we never see that again. Of course, this IS a very star driven project... They did go to Disney for this film.

I will say I've been worried, but I do have some faith in them. Seems like their characters may just be partial focus, popping in on the characters during a bad time, when they core characters are flipping out about having to save the studio.