Water, water... nowhere!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
How's this for a college adventure?

My residence hall currently has no running water.

I'll let you guys think about the consequences of that... and elaborate in the morning... Or afternoon, more likely.

In the meantime, I should SOOOOO be in bed right now...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Right. A slightly more detailed run-down.

We're guessing it has something to do with all the construction on campus, but whatever the reason, a water main broke. Most residents figured this out a little before 11:00 last night when there suddenly was no water. We should be hooked up to water by now, but I'm not sure-- I haven't personally tried. But I just heard a toilet flush, so that's a good sign.

In the meantime, we're under an emergency boil order. The dining hall is closed, and we are NOT to consume ANY water, because they think it has bacteria and such in it. Showers are okay... if ABSOLUTELY necessary... But if you wanna brush your teeth, you have to go somewhere else, use bottled water, or use the limited supply of water available at the front desk strictly for brushing teeth.

So... My roommate and I took a nice LONG walk to find a bathroom last night. It looks like my breakfast this morning will be peanut butter and crackers.

It's gonna be an interesting day.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Indeed. It will be an interesting day.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ooh Lisa that stinks! I hope you get the water back soon! Do you have bottled water in the meantime?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Hopefully so. Water's one of life neccessities, you know.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Ooh Lisa that stinks!
Literally. :stick_out_tongue:

Okay, update:

According to the official community notice I just read on the bathroom door, the water IS okay for showering and for washing hands, clothes, and dishes. So I did NOT have to wait until I got to the building my first class is in to go to the bathroom, nor did I have to use bottled water to wash my knife just now, and my poor roommate did not have to reschedule her laundry, which she had signed up to do today. Ehh, go figure.

In the meantime, we CANNOT use the water for drinking or brushing our teeth, and like I said, the dining hall is closed. There is a limited supply of water at the front desk for brushing teeth, but I'm personally sticking to bottled water, which my roommate and I stocked up on at another residence hall last night, figuring that the bottled water in the vending machines at OUR residence hall would vanish almost instantly. (To the best of my knowledge, it hasn't.)

The boil order is expected to be lifted tomorrow. They're doing tests that take twenty-four hours to get results, and apparently today is that twenty-four hours. So, if I'm understanding it right, whether or not the boil order is ACTUALLY lifted tomorrow depends on the test results.

All in all, it really isn't as bad as most residents initially thought... Especially if you consider that there were rumors that we wouldn't be hooked up to water at ALL until this weekend. Thankfully, that is not the case at all!

Personally, I'm still a little apprehensive about using the water to wash my hands before I put my contacts in... To take them out last night, I used instant hand sanitizer, and then rinsed with bottled water to try to take away the sting from the sanitizer, which didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but at least my hands were clean for handling my eyes. Today, I'm wearing glasses, but I might put my contacts in later... I dunno. I'm a little paranoid about my hands being clean when I'm dealing with my contacts.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I'm a little paranoid about my hands being clean when I'm dealing with my contacts.
The same would apply to those of us with glasses, because you need to handle both with care & both need to be applied in a certain way.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
True, but putting in contacts requires actually touching your eye-- or at least, coming VERY VERY close to it. Glasses lenses don't actually touch the eyeball, unless for some reason you wear them extraordinarily close... Personally, the closest I've ever managed to wear my glasses, my eyelashes touched the lenses, but nothing more than that.

But anyway, I have now showered and put my contacts in. I feel much more put-together, and so far I'm not dead. :wink: