Wasn't 80's fantasy the best?

Johnboy

Reaction score
In these days when kids watch " Harry Potter" and " Lord of the Rings", they should watch the classics from the golden age of fantasy: the 80's.

Back then in the 80's, it was a wonderful time of growing up including me and back then you had " The Dark Crystal", " Labyrinth", " The Princess Bride", " Legend", " The Neverending Story", " Return to Oz", " Willy Wonka", " The Last Unicorn", " The Secret of NIMH", " Willow", " Howard The Duck", " The Flight of Dragons", " The Black Cauldron", " Ladyhawke", " Krull", " Big Trouble in Little China", and " Making Contact" ( It's a little seen but great 1985 German horror fantasy flick about a child with psychic powers that battles an evil ventriloquist dummy and demons from another dimension).

I think today's kids should watch these flicks and enjoy then especially in these days of " Harry Potter" and " Lord of the Rings".

Johnboy

Reaction score
Yes Howard the Duck? ever heard of it?

If not, you must definitely rent it, it's a great 1986 george Lucas produced fantasy sci-fi comedy based on a Marvel Comic about a talking alien duck that gets beamed to Earth by accident, he lands in Cleveland, befriends a beautiful rock singer, must try to find a way to get back to his planet and must destroy the evil dark overlord of the universe from taking over.

It's got great special effects and it's a very entertaining flick, it's even got Tim Robbins in one of his earliest roles, i highly recommend it.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard of it; I just thought it sucked. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but it was a bad film IMO.

But hey, aside from the Henson works, I'm not a real fantasy person. I haven't seen the LOTR trilogy, but that's mostly 'cause I don't watch a lot of movies. :smirk:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
80s Fantasy films

I've enjoyed the 80s fantasy films(Labyrinth,Princess Bride,Neverending Story,Dark Crystal).Now all fantasy films worry about is how much CGI special effects they can create,asking,'Can I make this next film better,by putting more effects in it?' In other words,can I top myself? Luckily,CGI can make the almost impossible possible,only limit is one's imagination.:cool:

jarethjunkie

Reaction score
80's FANTASY ROCKS MY WORLD! :smile:
Labyrinth is my absolute favourite, but i love the era all together.
i vote yes!
80's Fantasy is the BEST!