Was there ever a Muppet "Hobbit" planned?

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Watching my LOTR videos, I couldn't help but wonder if Henson ever considered doing their own version of these stories. Maybe not on the same scale as what we are seeing now, but does anyone know if Henson ever looked at doing "The Hobbit?" I'm thinking around the time of The Dark Crystal. I wonder if it was ever discussed...

Jen

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
Watching my LOTR videos, I couldn't help but wonder if Henson ever considered doing their own version of these stories. Maybe not on the same scale as what we are seeing now, but does anyone know if Henson ever looked at doing "The Hobbit?" I'm thinking around the time of The Dark Crystal. I wonder if it was ever discussed...

Jen
My guess is that it was never seriously discussed by Jim. He always seemed to have enough interest in his own fantsy worlds (Dark Crystal and Labyrinth) that I don't think he'd spend the time to film "someone else's" movie.

Also, didn't Dark Crystal take years to make? Certainly it took a long time for Jim to develop the story and characters. Plus, the Muppet Show and movies) were still being produced then. There really wasn't much time for additional projects--especially something as epic in scale as "The Hobbit" or LOTR.

I'm sure he was familiar w/ Tolkien's books though. And, it goes w/o saying that he could've done some awesome stuff with "The Hobbit".

Thijs

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. Now LOTR is made, we need a Hobbit-movie too. And why not with puppets?
Another book that would be great if it were made with puppets is "Watership Down"

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
This reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago that the Beatles were interested in making a film (possibly animated?) out of the LOTR series. I think John wanted to play Gollum...