was there a "number of the day" for one?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Were there any Number of the Day segments made where One was the number of the day?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Yes there was a few skits that had 1 as the number of the day. One of them was an animated skit with a girl named Hortance banging on a drum, saying she had 1 drum! Another one was actually a Monsterpiece Theatre sketch called 1 Flew Over Cuco's nest. Also I heard somewhere that years ago there was a number 1 version of those sketches with the baker falling down the stairs but it hasn't been seen in years.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Yes there was a few skits that had 1 as the number of the day. One of them was an animated skit with a girl named Hortance banging on a drum, saying she had 1 drum! Another one was actually a Monsterpiece Theatre sketch called 1 Flew Over Cuco's nest. Also I heard somewhere that years ago there was a number 1 version of those sketches with the baker falling down the stairs but it hasn't been seen in years.
I was talking about the Number Of The Day segments introduced in 2002 with the Count introducing the number of the day. I knew that there were skits about the number on (I knew of the Monsterpiece theatre and Baker skits you mentioned). it seems liek skits about the number one are rarely shown.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Here to help.

1 The Falling Baker sketch featured 1 wedding cake at the end, so yes it exists.
2 Yes, there's a Number of the Day with the Count at his Counting Organ for the number 1. He plays the note, and the low grave voice sings out 1. And then the thunderclap or noisemaker effect starts up.
There's even a sketch for the number 0 where the entire organ gets blown away. In fact...
Under the current Season 36 scheme, this Counting Organ 0 sketch where the organ gets blown away is being used for 0, the revised Song of the Number songs for 1 through 10, and a new song with the Count singing to Countess Dahling van Dahling with her yelling out "SCHTOP!" for I believe 11 and higher.
3 The sad thing is that the Counting Organ doesn't have a sketch for the number 21, the highest number ever featured as SS's Number of the Day.

Oh, and there are a few other 1 sketches you might wanna check out.
Song sung by Johnny Cash about the legend of the Count as a Western character, starring The Count, Countess Dahling van Dahling, and Big Bird in Western outfits.
And the episode where the number 1 doesn't want to be the number 1 any more.
Hope this helps.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, Count. I knew that you'd be able to answer.

I think it's sad that no number past 21 has been featured as a number of the day skit. The highest number that has been taught on Sesame Street has been 40.

I knew about the Number Of The Day segment where the number was zero. I have seen that one twice.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure thing. That's partially why I'm interested in this year's spoof of the Fox show 24, and what it'll mean for Number of the Day from here on out.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Counting to 1

There was a Number of the day for 1 The Count counted it on his organ, by coming to his organ and diong an elaborate warm-up somewhat similar to Art Carney's Ed Norton character on the Honeymooners and then hit just one note. ONE :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
It seems like they're now counting up to 100. But counting by either fives or tens though to make it quicker and easier for little kids. Like Ernie teaching his pet frog to count to 100 by tens. A Zydaco band singing a song about counting to 100 by fives. And a reality show spoof called Joe Hundredguy, where a guy could win a mansion if he counts to 100 by tens, but ends up failing.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Twelve by threes

They also counted up to twelve by threes. Basically the number portion of the show's curriculum has been expanded to include patterns and multiplication beginnings.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Haven't the only recurring skits based on Number of the day that haven't had a one segment Pinball Number Count and Jazzy Spies? I always wondered why not. Can anyone explain?

>>I think it's sad that no number past 21 has been featured as a number of the day skit. The highest number that has been taught on Sesame Street has been 40.<<

Oddly enough, Plaza Sesamo has had the numer of the day be 30 and 40 on occasion. I'm guessing the reason why it's not so popular over here is because numerous skits counting to 40 would eat up quite some time. I guess now they could get away with using one segment, but it's still a pretty long skit when you count to 40 slow enough for kids to count along.

and Count, I'm guessing that 21/Cinderella type number of the day thing was a one time event.