Was Jim Henson an actual full fledged hippie?

yiieepyepyep

Reaction score
I dont know much about Jim Henson-the Jim Henson as a person outside the puppet muppet world that is. Can anyone tell me something they know about his other activities, beliefs or any other stuff you might know about him.
He seemed to be a sort of hippie...but im only judging this by his clothing..and the subject matter of some of his productions. Im hungry for information about him cause its a subject hard to find information about.
thanks!! :big_grin:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I always thought so. I don't wanna' be stoned for my thoughts, so I won't go into detail about chronic and such, but the sixties seemed to be a very influential time period for Jim.

Ryan

Reaction score
yiieepyepyep said:
I dont know much about Jim Henson-the Jim Henson as a person outside the puppet muppet world that is. Can anyone tell me something they know about his other activities, beliefs or any other stuff you might know about him.
He seemed to be a sort of hippie...but im only judging this by his clothing..and the subject matter of some of his productions. Im hungry for information about him cause its a subject hard to find information about.
thanks!! :big_grin:
Jane says that Jim was never into drugs, but it's pretty hard to believe. I do know for a fact, though, that he was a bit of a womanizer.

I guess we won't really know until the Henson family approves that "tell-all" book.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Ryan said:
Jane says that Jim was never into drugs, but it's pretty hard to believe.
That's exactly what I was looking for a tasteful way to say.

DerekJ

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
That's exactly what I was looking for a tasteful way to say.
If you've seen his "mod" 60's film-school direction on "The Cube", "Time Piece" and that "(something) '69" thing of his, correct description would be "hip", but not "hippie"--
He was a college student who wanted a job on TV, neither of which would particularly fit the working definition as we know it.

(Put it this way--
One of Jim's first and dearest post-college possessions was a used Rolls-Royce...You tell me.) :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
No, me either. From where doth this information flow?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
I don't wanna' be stoned for my thoughts...
Lol! Sorry, I just read this post and wanted to say no pun intended!

As far as Jim being a womanizer, I have a slightly unrelated question, did him and Jane get divorced but stay close friends? Or did they stay married? I got an impression watching a documentary about him that they did not stay together although Jane still talked very highly and affevtionately of him.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think I can say positively that they did not get divorsed, of course if I am wrong I may have to split up with myself.

Whatever

Reaction score
Sorry Beau, I think I heard they divorced too.