Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, we all got to admit something. We're really REALLY lucky that they didn't get the rights to releasing the music... otherwise they'd be pulling every single SS clip down, even the official one because of the little B-words that run WMG (Whiney Morons that are Greedy). They pull down clips that no one even knew they had the rights to.

God, I HATE Warners so much. I want them to Eisner out the CEO and everyone in charge of everything...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Theirs... their super heroes. Their DC line. Seems every couple months we get a new DTV movie based on one of their characters. That's basically where the animation studio does its work now...
It may sound like a longshot and might not be much in terms of classic content, but considering that, I wonder if Warner might want to put out DVDs with all the Batman and Superman appearances on Sesame Street. Of course I'm pretty sure there's only one Batman appearance left unreleased, and I don't know if there are any Superman appearances beyond the D and S sketches which have been released.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just saw at Muppet Wiki that there'll be a DVD called "C Is For Cookie Monster", presumably scheduled after Counting with Elmo (I didn't pay attention to the release date, and Muppet Wiki is causing some loading problems for me right now so I don't feel like rechecking).

Known segments for inclusion include: The Cookie Tree, Cookie Hood, Gingerbread Man, and the Healthy Food remake. No word on if it'll have any classic Cookie Monster clips, but I'll be real disapointed if it doesn't. I am hopeful that this will have a Monsterpiece Theater segment (even if it's a 1990s MT segment) and perhaps the late-1990s C is for Cookie (the DVD title references the song, so why not?).

I've noticed that even though WB put Elmo on the Follow That Bird rerelease cover, Warner seems to be releasing more DVDs without Elmo on the cover than Genius did. All Genius released with Elmo-free covers was Old School: Volume 2 (and a number of reissues), while Warner has released the Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures DVD, P is for Princess, and now this without Elmo on the covers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Cookie Monster one sounds pretty good. I think I might just get that one. If only for the Cookie hood episode...

Though I'm betting the "A Cookie's just a cookie by any other name" song from later on the episode won't be there.

As long as the Hello Kittyized Sesame Street English Cookie is NO WHERE to be found on this release.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd rather the Cookie Monster DVD have more inserts than street stories, but if it must have another street story, I think the "Cookie's World" episode from season 36 or 37 would be a good addition (maybe put it at the end, like how Elmo's World is always at the end of the show).

This would be an ideal line-up, including what is confirmed and what I want:
  • Cookie Hood
  • Cookie Hood sings about other names for cookies
  • Letter of the Day: C (season 33)
  • C is for Cookie (season 30)
  • Monsterpiece Theater: Twin Beaks
  • Gingerbread Man
  • The Cookie Tree
  • Healthy Food
  • Kermit's Mystery Box
  • Cookie's World

And maybe a selection of bonus classic clips, including Kermit's feelings lecture, Breakfast Time, Ernie and Cookie Monster's identity crisis (though I think it would be a bit odd to see Sherlock Hemlock mentioned on a release that he doesn't appear in; then again the 40th anniversary DVD didn't have any Biff and Sully clips yet it had "Telly Plugs In" which mentioned them), and Sesame Street News: First Day of School.

Somehow I have a feeling that we'll get similar releases. It wouldn't surprise me if we eventually get "B is for Big Bird", "T is for Telly", "E is for Elmo", and more. Then again, the title is similar to "P is for Princess". Maybe we'll get more with those kinds of titles, as opposed to more character-based ones.

Oh and it's scheduled for release on October 19.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Sounds way cool! Hope the "C is for Cookie Monster" release has a good mix of some newer stuff as well as the classic stuff (particularly sketches and songs that have yet to be released.) How about including "Got to be Blue" on there?:insatiable:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Somebody added to the Muppet Wiki page for C Is For Cookie Monster that another segment to be included will be "Cookie Monster Sorting Song". I know of two different versions of the "Sortign Song" with Cookie Monster: The one from season two (which has been released twice already), and a version with Ernie.

I guess either could have their high points. If it's the second season version, then that means it'll have a classic clip (and maybe open up the posibility of more being included). But it has been released on DVD twice, once on the recent 40th anniversary DVD (that seems to be a trend this year; include something that was on that DVD on almost every new DVD, even the classic clips when included), and while it is good I don't think it is so great that it should be released so many times (the original C is for Cookie, Beat the Time, The Ballad of Casey McPhee, and Me Lost Me Cookie at the Disco are all more worthy of rereleasing commercially).

But if it's the one with Ernie then it's not a classic clip. That won't neccessarily mean it won't have classic clips if it's not the season two version (and of course it doesn't mean that it will). And as far as I know the Ernie and Cookie Monster version hasn't been released commercially.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop uploaded a preview for C is for Cookie Monster on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUl4zKLOMMo&feature=sub

Most of the clips in the preview haven't been confirmed in press releases yet (the only thing confirmed previously to appear in the preview is the beginning of the Cookie Hood episode). I'm not sure if this will be another "Being Green Preview", but it includes two classic clips and three clips that appear in the 40th anniversary DVD. Oddly, the preview includes scenes from all three versions of C is for Cookie... I wonder if that'll be a montage (like the montage of Rubber Duckie songs in the 25th anniversary video). I'd really prefer that it don't include the Marilin Horne C is for Cookie (Cookie Monster only appears at the end of the segment).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In January there'll be a release called "Iron Monster and Other Super Stories", featuring three superhero-themed stories (Iron Monster, Super-Grover's sidekick Super-Chicken, and The Furry Four).

I hope that it also includes some Super-Grover segments (whether Super Grover 2.0 or original Super Grover), and maybe a Super Morphin' Mega Monsters segment (this is a longshot but I hope it also has a Teeny Little Super Guy segment... And considering Warner Bros. is so supportive of it's DC Comics franchises it would be fitting to include a Batman segment from the show).

Unless there are some unannounced releases in-between these, it seems this will be the longest wait so far between releases under Warner's license.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
In January there'll be a release called "Iron Monster and Other Super Stories", featuring three superhero-themed stories (Iron Monster, Super-Grover's sidekick Super-Chicken, and The Furry Four).

I hope that it also includes some Super-Grover segments (whether Super Grover 2.0 or original Super Grover), and maybe a Super Morphin' Mega Monsters segment (this is a longshot but I hope it also has a Teeny Little Super Guy segment... And considering Warner Bros. is so supportive of it's DC Comics franchises it would be fitting to include a Batman segment from the show).

Unless there are some unannounced releases in-between these, it seems this will be the longest wait so far between releases under Warner's license.
I have to say, even I'm question whether this video should be even released to the public considering the rivalery between DC and Marvel and how Marvel is now owned by Disney, the same company that has :smile: while DC is own by Warner Bros.

So what do you all think of that ? :wisdom: