Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, tonight the home theater forum had a chat with people from warner home video regarding TV and animation releases, and somebody asked about whether there are plans for any Sesame Street releases intended for adult fans.

And you know what they answered?

Their answer: [paraphrased] "Classic Sesame Street has already been released on DVD under "Old School"."

Well DUH! That's like saying "the classic warner bros. shorts have been released on DVD under 'Golden Collections'", or saying "classic Popeye cartoons have already been released." But based on that line I'm convinced that there are no current plans. Hopefully they'll realize that there's a lot more classic Sesame Street that hasn't been released (there's Jazz #3-10, Henson #4-9, many Monsterpeice Theater and Teeny Little Super Guy, lots of Sherlock Hemlock, Miami Mice, etc.).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Jeez. Thanks a freakin' lot, Sesame Workshop. You couldn't have picked a WORSE distribution company? I hate WHV. I hate how it's run, I hate what they find important to release on DVD. I just hate them so much. They have no interest in doing anything but releasing Elmo videos, and us fans who bought both Old School DVD's and want to see more get scammed out of any more of those great releases.

If this is their attitude, I hope the partnership crashes and burns completely. Didn't I say they had no business doing SW DVD's? Saying "Oh Look! One classic skit on this DVD! That's all we're giving to you dorks. now go out and buy some stupid new show on Blu-Ray, like you're age group is supposed to!"

I'm sorry if that sounded angry, but they really don't want to do anything but make money off of Elmo crap, and they don't give a crap about the old school fan base. As I said, we;re supposed to buy current shows on Blu-Ray and anything older than that isn't worth trying. Unless it's a DC Super Hero.

Grover

Reaction score
Jeez. Thanks a freakin' lot, Sesame Workshop. You couldn't have picked a WORSE distribution company? I hate WHV. I hate how it's run, I hate what they find important to release on DVD. I just hate them so much. They have no interest in doing anything but releasing Elmo videos, and us fans who bought both Old School DVD's and want to see more get scammed out of any more of those great releases.

If this is their attitude, I hope the partnership crashes and burns completely. Didn't I say they had no business doing SW DVD's? Saying "Oh Look! One classic skit on this DVD! That's all we're giving to you dorks. now go out and buy some stupid new show on Blu-Ray, like you're age group is supposed to!"

I'm sorry if that sounded angry, but they really don't want to do anything but make money off of Elmo crap, and they don't give a crap about the old school fan base. As I said, we;re supposed to buy current shows on Blu-Ray and anything older than that isn't worth trying. Unless it's a DC Super Hero.
RELAX! :stick_out_tongue: Warner's Home Video organizes several properties. There is no direct proof stating Warner's attention. Be thankful for the Old School sets that are available. Thankfully the classic clips we're interested in are available on sesamestreet.org. Who knows what will occur in the future.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
They have no interest in doing anything but releasing Elmo videos, and us fans who bought both Old School DVD's and want to see more get scammed out of any more of those great releases.
I had been wondering today... Does anybody know if the Old School DVDs are even still in print? I haven't seen them on shelves in awhile.

I wonder if a petition should be in order. I figure Sesame Workshop knows we want a lot of classic stuff. While sesamestreet.org is great, I would much rather have classic stuff on DVD. It just feels better having a physical copy, in case the website goes down or my internet connection goes down or my computer breaks, and many segments look better on a TV than on a computer. That doesn't mean I want the website to go away, though.

I can think of many different ways that classic material could be released on DVD. I've made many different wishlists, and some april fools jokes, so that's my proof. Heck, if Warner were to release an "Old School Vol. 3", then that'd be three sets from three different companies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I could be a wise guy, but here's the deal. WHV will release one GOOD DVD set now and then, but adamantly refuses to release anything we'd actually buy.

Check out this segment of the WHV chat They are refusing to release the last of Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, they refuse to release Chowder (a CURRENT show no less) in season sets. They really have no desire to sell anything thatg isn't a current sitcom on Blu-Ray. At least we're getting Courage the Cowardly Dog.

But other than that, they can make a good DVD release... problem is they over price the heck out of it and whine their butts off if it doesn't sell a billion on the first day. Ignoring SS's large Adult fanbase is no surprise. And yeah, we can watch all the stuff online. But I want FULL episodes. Rarities they just can't fit on SS's web player.

Dantecat

Reaction score
What do you mean they can't fit in SS's video player:confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
What do you mean they can't fit in SS's video player:confused:
You think a full hour long episode is gonna fit into that player? Let alone several? That's what made the Old School series so special. Full episodes and clips. Best of both of them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Check out this segment of the WHV chat They are refusing to release the last of Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, they refuse to release Chowder (a CURRENT show no less) in season sets. They really have no desire to sell anything thatg isn't a current sitcom on Blu-Ray. At least we're getting Courage the Cowardly Dog.
I don't know if it's that important to have older sitcoms on blu-ray. I figure a lot of people still don't have blu-ray players (I have one in my laptop, but I only have a few blue-ray DVDs). And I've heard that shows shot on video would likely look worse on blu-ray.

As for Tiny Toons and Animaniacs... They could always release a few unreleased episodes if they get around to releasing a Warner 1990s Saturday Morning set (I think a 1990s set would sell better than a 1980s set).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know if it's that important to have older sitcoms on blu-ray. I figure a lot of people still don't have blu-ray players (I have one in my laptop, but I only have a few blue-ray DVDs). And I've heard that shows shot on video would likely look worse on blu-ray.

As for Tiny Toons and Animaniacs... They could always release a few unreleased episodes if they get around to releasing a Warner 1990s Saturday Morning set (I think a 1990s set would sell better than a 1980s set).
I mean current TV shows and sitcoms. But really. I don't want one or two unreleased episodes on a stupid Saturday Morning set, I WANT to see the ends of both shows on DVD. I've been saying this for years, but DVD TV shows only get released if they're current (especially reality shows on cable that no one really watches) and the heck with large fanbases. We could send them a million petitions with a million sigs each, but they'll keep Animaniacs and Tiny Toons and all the GOOD Warner Bros cartoons greedily locked up in their little vault, while we get to see another reality show about Kirsty Alley whining about how fat she is on Blu-ray with 1000 hours of bonus features. And THOSE always sit on the shelf.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I found this, which shows a new upcoming release: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/88643/width/1000/height/800

I wonder if maybe this release will include some Twiddlebug sketches (besides their cameo in "Elmo's World: Bugs"). I figure the CGI sketches have a better chance than the classic Muppet ones. I am less excited about this than other upcoming releases (which I am debating over whether to buy). Aside from the Twiddlebug segments I can't think of many other classic segments that would qualify (there ar ethe first season "F-fly" and "f-fly and frog" segments).

I've kind of noticed a recent pattern. It seems like Warner has been releasing one new SST DVD a month.