Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

Drtooth

Reaction score
Something else I'd like to see, if there aren't enough Super Grover 2.0 segments for one DVD, is a new Grover spotlight video, focusing on recurring segments and themes, done similar to how "The Best of Friends" was done: Four Super Grover segments, four Super Grover 2.0, four waiter Grover, four additional Mr. Johnson segments, four Professor Grover, four Global Grover, four Monsterpiece Theater segments starring Grover, four Grover and kid interactions, four Grover and Kermit, four Marshall Grover, and if there's any room left, four Grover songs and four additional Grover segments.

That would be sweet.
I too would prefer a new spotlight on Grover DVD set over just Super Grover 2.0 segments. They really haven't done character best ofs since Best of Elmo 2... and considering that Elmo is Sesame Street's meal ticket, they should have called it "The Best of Elmo with even more famous people."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Oh yes, absolutely! Are there any skits in particular that you'd want on there? :super:
I debated over listing segments, but since you asked, here's what I would do, following the structure of "Best of Friends" (four segments per character, though Oscar had five):
  • Super Grover - Bus, Computer, Super Grover and Super Elmo, Sarah Jessica Parker Waits for Big.
  • Super Grover 2.0 - whatever the first four segments were (I don't feel like checking Muppet Wiki). Or maybe it'd be best to put this near the end.
  • Waiter Grover - Bacon and Eggs, Chicken Sandwich, Big Burger, Outdoor Restaurant.
  • More Grover and Mr. Johnson - Grover the Messenger, Taxi Driver, Photographer, Coffee Plant.
  • Global Grover - don't really care which four, maybe Alaska for one and the puppetry one for another.
  • Grover Songs - Has Anybody Seen My Dog?, My Furry Little Shadow, Red and Blue, Special (maybe this section could use five or six songs, for which I would also include Proud of Me and Monster in the Mirror).
  • Grover and Kermit - Grover Reads the Yes Sign, Fire in the Forest, Heavy and Light, Earmuffs Salesman.
  • Grover and Kids - Grover and Polly say the alphabet (where she forgets one of the letters), Grover and John-John count to 20, Heather scratches Grover's back, Grover and Patrick pretend to be moon buddies.
  • Grover on Monsterpiece Theater - Upstairs, Downstairs, The Taming of the Shoe, The Old Man and the C, ABCD Blue.
  • Marshall Grover - Glass of Milk, Front and Back, Mirages, Marshall Grover Rides Off Into the Sunset.
  • Professor Grover - Breathe, Bath Time Tips, School, Spanish Word of the Day: Libro.
  • Additional Grover Moments - Grover Counts Three Blocks, Near and Far, Grover Echos, Grover and the Butterfly.
  • Bonus Clips: Early Grover - First and Last, The Original Near and Far, Loud and Soft with Kermit, G is for Grover (that last one I don't know anything beyond the title... I don't even know if it's our Grover or a different one. It first aired near the end of the first season, so Grover could have been named by then).
So that's most of the best Grover moments that have not been released on video (there's still some great unreleased stuff not on that list), plus a few rarities, some fairly random choices, and a small handful of segments that have been released on video.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Agreed. I'd actually buy and sit through an Elmo's Musical DVD. I don't even try to acknowledge Elmo's World. It's an unsegment, and hopefully the book is closed on it once and for all.
Oh, I'm sure we'll get an Elmo, the Musical DVD one of these days. If it's cheap enough, I might pick it up, to see what the segment is like. The YouTube previews advertise it well, I must say. (And as DrTooth said, it just has to be better than Elmo's World)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure we'll get an Elmo, the Musical DVD one of these days. If it's cheap enough, I might pick it up, to see what the segment is like. The YouTube previews advertise it well, I must say. (And as DrTooth said, it just has to be better than Elmo's World)
There IS going to be an Elmo the Musical DVD in a few months.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
By the way, has Best of Sesame Friends popped up in any Canadian stores since it's Target exclusive release? (Target is replacing Zellers over here, though no Target stores have opened over here, that I know of)
Nevermind that question. I just looked up the DVD on Chapters' website, and they have it avaliable for pre-order for a March 19 release. I'm obviously not paying $19 for this thing, though. Like with the Elmo, the Musical DVD, I'll be willing to take this one for about $10; maybe a little more.

How much do you guys think it's worth for a casual fan?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
The whole Grover DVD thing sounds really nice, but there is already a Grover tribute DVD unfortunately. Then again, we could always use more Grover in this world. :super:

$10 or so sounds like a reasonable price for the DVD with the amount of content this supposed "Elmo the Musical" DVD has. My only suggestion would be to see if Amazon.com has it for cheaper.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The whole Grover DVD thing sounds really nice, but there is already a Grover tribute DVD unfortunately. Then again, we could always use more Grover in this world. :super:
I know about "A Celebration of Me, Grover!", and that is one of the best character spotlight videos. Currently Cookie Monster and Elmo are the only characters with two character spotlight videos (and "Playtime with Grover" is sort of a character spotlight video, as Grover is in every segment in that video). And while the previous Grover spotlight video is great, it's just the tip of the iceberg of the best Grover segments, but then again, so was my list (I barely mentioned any of the best Grover segments that have been released on video), and the same can be said for any character spotlight video.

It would be great if there were some collectors-market character spotlight videos, with just segments, from all eras of the show (featuring those characters), whether they are complete chronological collections like the Walt Disney Treasures sets (and that might be risky, as there could be segments with content Sesame Workshop can't clear for video releases) or just a random assortment of inserts with the featured characters, primarily their best classic-era unreleased-on-video segments. I'd like to see these kinds of sets for Ernie and Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster, The Count (I'd also like to see a regular Count spotlight video, it's a shame we never got such a release when Jerry Nelson was alive), if they can do a new Kermit on Sesame Street collection great, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if they ever put out such spotlight releases for Guy Smiley, Roosevelt Franklin, Forgetful Jones, Sherlock Hemlock, Herry Monster and Prairie Dawn.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
$10 or so sounds like a reasonable price for the DVD with the amount of content this supposed "Elmo the Musical" DVD has. My only suggestion would be to see if Amazon.com has it for cheape.
If I can get something at a store, I'll go there instead of getting it online. As I do with Barney DVDs, I'll probably get these Sesame Street DVDs from Wal-Mart. I'm not the kind of guy who's going out of his way to get a Sesame DVD. (Except for A Special Sesame Street Christmas, but that one was for my video review)

Drtooth

Reaction score

Every character should have a spotlight collection, even ones that had one before. Cookie Monsters Best Bites was followed by (quite some time later) C is for Cookie. If Telly had a best of, I'd leap at the chance of getting it.

As far as I'm concerned, I wanna see them do another "Best of Sesame Spoofs" compilation after the next season starts up. I mean, the parody segment has become so integral to the show's promotion now that every season has several. There was a lot left to be desired after the last collection that would be great on another.