Video: "The Muppets" Official ABC Trailer

Drtooth

Reaction score
What would actually be wrong with a variety show that was just, oh-I-don't-know, A VARIETY SHOW? Where people sing and dance and tell jokes and try to pull off a skit that isn't going well with charm and panache? If variety shows are dead, someone explain all the _______'s Got Talent shows to me
Reality competition is not a Variety Show. I honestly don't get the appeal of that crap either. But you know, cheap to make, cheap to produce. The networks are going to shove that down everyone's throat and make them like it. By that token, what the heck's the appeal of any of NBC's reality competitions? Especially the "Let's make fun of fatties and call it inspirational" show only thin people watch to...well, yeah... make fun of the fatties.

I can't see the Muppets in a retread of the old show. Jim wouldn't have blatantly copied himself like that. That's why JHH was completely different (for better or worse).

Katzi428

Reaction score
I'm kind of skeptical here, everyone. I was looking forward to the old variety Muppet Show like they had. And Kermit not dating Piggy anymore? What's up with that? I'll admit I am glad that :hungry: will be on the show . (I had thought he wouldn't used anymore. They'd have him moved permanently back to Sweden.) I LOLed at :sympathy: with the "cone of shame" around his neck . So we'll see what happens.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I'm kind of skeptical here, everyone. I was looking forward to the old variety Muppet Show like they had. And Kermit not dating Piggy anymore? What's up with that? I'll admit I am glad that :hungry: will be on the show . (I had thought he wouldn't used anymore. They'd have him moved permanently back to Sweden.) I LOLed at :sympathy: with the "cone of shame" around his neck . So we'll see what happens.
The variety show format wouldn't work. They tried three times to revive The Muppet Show in its variety show format with The Jim Henson Hour, Muppets Tonight, and France's MuppetsTV , but all attempts were not well-recieved and short-lived. I think It's good that The Muppets are trying something brand new rather than repeat what they have done before.

Drtooth

Reaction score
JHH wasn't really the variety show format TMS and MT were. I don't think it was so much the Muppet Central segments that scared viewers off so much as the while hour long format and the huge disconnect between the Muppet and Creature Shop segments. If anything, the problem with JHH was that it was too different from everything else on TV. From a Muppet standpoint, I get what Jim was trying to do and have huge respect for it. He didn't so much want a new Muppet Show as much as a new Muppet project that pushed to the limit of what Muppets could do. And unfortunately it did get rid of some classic characters for newer ones. On the other hand, not trying to copy TMS was exactly the show's strength. It's just that it came out too raw and NBC didn't want the show, so it never managed to grow, getting rid of that jumbled feeling. MT on the other hand was kind of a mess not knowing if it was supposed to be a variety show or talk show or both. Why they didn't go for SNL style parody is beyond me. The talk show segments didn't mesh with the skits.

But honestly, I don't see this show completely tossing off the variety format, and don't see how that's a problem. Seems very well we'll still have that, but the focus will be on behind the scenes problems and character development. Something I'd much rather see than Muppets swooning over guest stars. Especially ones that have no chemistry. Like that British Game Show host guy from season 1. Man, was he a terrible guest.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well it seems that this show has more freedom for the Muppets to be themselves more which is kind of something that fans have been wanting for a long time. As long as they can be themselves and not completely written wrong then the show should do fine.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
That was a funny preview! I liked the part with Piggy talking to Kermit in a blue dress and the "very offensive stereotype" joke. Can't wait to see it! (This also makes me remember I have to catch up on The Goldbergs!)

Katzi428

Reaction score
I agree that this is a good time slot for The Muppets (I keep missing "The Goldbergs " ) So this'll give me a good reason not to miss both shows. :smile:

Muppetgirl09

Reaction score
I would like to see a love traingle between Spamla and Piggy over Kermit.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Not me I would really love seeing Kermit and Piggy have a some what healthy and happy relationship for once.