Video: Muppets Most Wanted Official US and International Trailers On-line

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Saw the first (U.S.) trailer, and it looks SUPER-TASTIC. This might be a rare case of a sequel being better than the previous movie installment.
It's not rare for the sequel to be better than the first. Home Alone 2, Back to the Future II, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, The Empire Strikes Back, and quite a few other movies are better than the first (though your mileage may vary.... And fans seem mixed on whether the first or second Home Alone or Ninja Turtles is better).

Besides, if the sequels are rarely better, then why make so many (well, maybe it's less risky than an original idea)?

terrimonster

Reaction score
It's not rare for the sequel to be better than the first. Home Alone 2, Back to the Future II, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, The Empire Strikes Back, and quite a few other movies are better than the first (though your mileage may vary.... And fans seem mixed on whether the first or second Home Alone or Ninja Turtles is better).

Besides, if the sequels are rarely better, then why make so many (well, maybe it's less risky than an original idea)?
Three of your four examples work pretty well to prove cjd874's point. Better sequels exist, to be sure, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Rare is such a subjective term, but if you look at a list of sequels from the last 5 years, I would be shocked if you even rated 10% of them as better than the first.

... I'd say so much as The Muppets was made just so this movie could happen. To ease casual fans back into the franchise then hit them with this.
Yes. I think the casual moviegoer would have been confused if the last movie had been like this. It re-established the brand in such a way that they can go back to doing whatever they want.

Unrelated to that, on his "now you guys have all the freedom you want," line, why does Constantine sound like Dave Goelz? Clearly the line was cobbled together from two separate lines for the trailer, but is that part even audio of Constantine talking?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You lost me on TMNT II. It's certainly more kid friendly, and Tokka and Rahzar were awesome... but there's just so many things wrong with that film. I'd say the first TMNT movie was one of the best comic book movies ever made (especially in that era), but the second one tried too hard to be the cartoon series and failed to capture what made the cartoon series special. And NO Casey Jones. THAT was inexcusable. Almost like those later season episodes where they have Carter hanging around. I don't care about some Karate guy the Turtles just happen to know. I want Casey Jones. And the less said about Vanilla Ice's scene the better.

But yeah... there are films with better sequels. Heck, if they can make a watchable The Smurfs movie the second time, anything should be a better sequel.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Unrelated to that, on his "now you guys have all the freedom you want," line, why does Constantine sound like Dave Goelz? Clearly the line was cobbled together from two separate lines for the trailer, but is that part even audio of Constantine talking?
That was Constantine. Sometimes Matt sounds like Dave. For those who don't know, here's the official trailer video:

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Though one shot I DID like from the original teaser was the biblical desert shot...what is that from? So epic
Apparently, there's a sequence in the film where Fozzie, Walter, and Animal go to rescue Kermit. Perhaps the desert bit is supposed to be a fantasy, exaggerating the journey to find the frog. Or maybe it's from a musical number.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if Matt Vogel could be ANY character. He's Caroll Spinney's understudy, and he's taken over most of Jerry Nelson's characters (who have been heard), though some are better than others, and he's currently Sweetums, and now he's performing a character who's supposed to be similar to Kermit (though he doesn't sound like Kermit). And while he hasn't performed any of Dave Goelz's characters, his Robin (as well as '80s Robot) sounds a bit like Bunsen.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I wonder if Matt Vogel could be ANY character. He's Caroll Spinney's understudy, and he's taken over most of Jerry Nelson's characters (who have been heard), though some are better than others, and he's currently Sweetums, and now he's performing a character who's supposed to be similar to Kermit (though he doesn't sound like Kermit). And while he hasn't performed any of Dave Goelz's characters, his Robin (as well as '80s Robot) sounds a bit like Bunsen.
Well I think that is what the Muppets have needed is someone like Matt, and he has been great! He brings such heart and energy to anyone he preforms.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You lost me on TMNT II. It's certainly more kid friendly, and Tokka and Rahzar were awesome... but there's just so many things wrong with that film. I'd say the first TMNT movie was one of the best comic book movies ever made (especially in that era), but the second one tried too hard to be the cartoon series and failed to capture what made the cartoon series special.

Yeah, I had acknowledged that fans seemed mixed between whether the first or second is good, but at least I don't know of a single person who likes the third (or fourth) one the best. Of course it makes me wonder if I would like the first one best if I had grown up with the original comic books.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Well, Sesame has permission to use old Kermit clips as segments on SS, so it makes sense that it would work in Disney's favour as well.
One of those SS segments was called, "Little Miss Muffet."

The clip probably didn't even cost that much to obtain in the first place.
I didn't think so either, but wow... I knew there was something I haven't seen for a long time, but it sure does sound like I used to watch that show a long time ago.

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
Well, I finally saw the trailer, and it was amazing! I think I came with up with a really good Statler and Waldorf remark:

Waldorf: Well, it looks like Kermit's on the run.
Statler: Too bad I wasn't.
Waldorf: Why would you want to be a wanted criminal?
Statler: So I can run away from this movie!

DOH-ho ho ho ho ho!

Even though it's 2 and half minutes of the final version, it already looks better than The Muppets. This is no surprise to fans since The Muppets have always been improving themselves given the last movie was pretty much season 1 of The Muppet Show; it was an (re) introductory film of the Muppets and the writers are working on how to characterize them for the techno age. This movie, here, looks like season 2; it has strands of classic Muppet wit and wackiness, and I'm hopeful the heart of the Muppets won't get lost in the mayhem. Say what you want about this movie being eerily similar with The Great Muppet Caper, but this movie feels more like Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties with the main characters in Europe, and a doppelgänger of Kermit/Garfield switch places with the Muppets/Jon, Liz, and Odie having the wrong "Garfield" but with a criminal aspect to it.

Ty Burrell has great chemistry with Sam the Eagle, although I haven't warmed up to the new design of Sam the Eagle even if it does resemble his appearance in The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence. Tina Fey dons a good enough Russian accent, and Ricky Gervais is...well...Ricky Gervais.

The voice of Constantine is really good; it does sound like Bill Barretta. Steve Whitmire, Eric Jacobson, Matt Vogel, and Peter Linz still have it! I'm surprised by the non-speaking trailer time for Dave Goelz's characters. Anywho, I'll continue to look for cameos of the Muppets from the earlier projects that may land a non-speaking cameo in the movie. The celebrity cameos don't distract me too much, though I'm reading YouTube comments drooling over Tom Hiddleston's cameo. :rolleyes: I also liked that Jim Henson's Kermit from Sesame Street plays a role. It's actually not surprising since Disney owns the rights of Kermit the Frog even from SS, though Sesame Workshop hasn't taken full advantage of them in the past ten or so years.

In the end, I'm more excited about the movie, which means the trailer does its job quite perfectly in selling its product.