Video: Jim Henson's new Fraggle Rock series "The Doozers"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering it was basically a thin example of what the show could be, obviously to please networks and stockholders, it looks like it could go either way. I'm not liking the mouth animation being so static. Dinosaur Train looks far better in the animation department. But this does have some very good potential for a far removed from Fraggle Rock Doozer series. I really thing they should have the series hosted by Uncle Matt or someone.

And I still don't see why this can't air on American TV. Unless they're waiting a year. Seriously. Kick that imbecilic Super Why off the schedule and pick this up, PBS.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's hard to make a judgment on this when it's an in-progress compilation, but it looks like it has some potential. It was a bit weird to see that the Doozers appear to be living in some sort of forest, after seeing them underground in Fraggle Rock. Maybe this is a different colony, lol.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Blech.
I mean, I'm glad FR will be on the air in some form. But this really takes away from what the Doozers are.
It's like replacing the Yoda puppet with what they have now. Suddenly, we have flying Doozers and these strange cars they drive.
I'm not complaining about the actual show, but I really don't see why they didn't just start from scratch. Using the Doozers was unneccesary.

At the 1:07 mark, with that flying Doozer reminds me of Iron Man. Just look at what goes on inside the mask she's wearing. :laugh:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the current show description from JHC...

The Doozers
[Coming in 2013 from the Jim Henson Company]

They may be small but their knowledge, ingenuity and willingness to learn ensures that there is never a problem too large for THE DOOZERS. And Doozers love to solve problems, whether it's finding a better route to the beach or building an underground wind farm, they are always determined to find a solution and they DO!

The new animated series is set in Doozer Creek, a high-tech enchanted forest that merges nature with innovation. It's a self-sustaining, green community that exists in harmony with nature and generates zero waste. In every eleven-minute episode of Doozers, viewers will follow the adventures of four brand new Doozer kid characters: Spike, Mollybolt, Flex, and Daisy Wheel, each with differing characteristics and skills. Together they make up the bright, bold, and fun "Pod Squad" who share a passion for inventing.​

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was a bit weird to see that the Doozers appear to be living in some sort of forest, after seeing them underground in Fraggle Rock. Maybe this is a different colony, lol.
I have a feeling that's the case. After all, they aren't named after construction equipment. Maybe they've never even seen a Fraggle.

It's like replacing the Yoda puppet with what they have now. Suddenly, we have flying Doozers and these strange cars they drive.
I'm not complaining about the actual show, but I really don't see why they didn't just start from scratch. Using the Doozers was unneccesary.
I don't see Henson doing a puppet based Fraggle Rock project for some time, even though viral videos would be the easiest, most cost effective, and painfully obvious way to rejuvenate the characters. But it seem that we're going to get a lot of complaints about this being some sort of surrogate Fraggle Rock or replacement or something when it's pretty obvious that it's no more than its own little thing. I stifle to even call it an expanded universe.

I think it's much more fair to judge against current preschool programming. It looks like it has the potential to have the heart and fun of Dinosaur Train. As long as the characters don't spend 30 seconds asking the audience where the green triangle that's right next to them is only to have a prerecorded audience answer their own question anyway, the show's going to be fine. That's like the kid's show equivalent of saying the bar is set so low that as long you don't pick your nose, you'll be fine. Lot of boogery fingers in kid's television today...Dora, Mickey, Blue, SuperWhy....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sorry, I ain't sold. I don't want to see anything JHC CGI kiddy show, I want to see JHC return to puppetry.

And I agree with the sentiments of some of the others here, this is not really the Doozers that we all know and love... and lemme guess, is the reason they're not so roly-poly because of this new like unwritten regulation that no children's show can have a fat character as one of the main stars?

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Sorry, I ain't sold. I don't want to see anything JHC CGI kiddy show, I want to see JHC return to puppetry.

And I agree with the sentiments of some of the others here, this is not really the Doozers that we all know and love... and lemme guess, is the reason they're not so roly-poly because of this new like unwritten regulation that no children's show can have a fat character as one of the main stars?
Agreed all the way with both points here...there are lots of things to be skeptical about. But hey, I'll remain optimistic! I think it looks kind of cute standing all on its own, especially considering this bit:
The Doozers​
[Coming in 2013 from the Jim Henson Company] [...]​
The new animated series is set in Doozer Creek, a high-tech enchanted forest that merges nature with innovation. It's a self-sustaining, green community that exists in harmony with nature and generates zero waste. [...]​
I am a bit of a sap for ensuring young minds' care for the environment and big-picture mindset. The ingenuity and creativity that the Doozers stand for is certainly not lost here, it's just that the original spirit (and yep, puppetry) of Fraggle Rock is completely lost.

But then, it's been lost ever since the show's finale, from what I can tell (I wasn't even born in the 80s)--I don't think we'll really see anything like the original FR again. But I'm optimistic about that, too :excited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Other than Pajamanimals or whatever it is, they just don't have a puppet series. In fact, Henson basically just produces and probably writes Dino Train and this Doozer thing. Outsourced studios do all the grunt work. Seems they're going to use Canadian voice actors as well and possibly reap the benefits of various Canadian production credits (I have little idea how those work, so that's just a guess on my part). All and all, not a very expensive big project.

Anything else to add would just be more of the same "Henson got no money" spiel. They probably have had multiple puppet based shows/projects that fell through and CGI outsourced studio work is just easier to get greenlit and get partners for. When you think about it, they're ambitious, but they're the ambitious guy who just doesn't have the materials, money, or skilled friends that could help him and therefore can't do anything but constantly bring up how he plans to do something at some point. Henson is full of troubles, so when they actually get something of the ground, it's amazing no matter what the project is.

I mean, how many movies and TV shows did they plan, anyway? We're lucky we barely got this and have to pirate it to see it in this country. Still fail to see why PBS isn't interested in it.