1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Video: Big Bird on Saturday Night Live October 6

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by SSLFan, Oct 6, 2012.

1. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

BIG BIRD... IS ON SNL!

Edit...Big Bird (performed by Caroll Spinney) just made a surprise appearance on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update segment.

Needless to say I lost my composure, lol.

MOD EDIT:
    Here's a video link...
    http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/409934
  2. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I saw him! But my dad had the TV down, so I wasn't able to hear a darn thing! Hopefully (most likely) we'll get an online clip from NBC or Hulu. Do you know if Matt or Caroll performed him?
  3. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Caroll. :)

Edit...Big Bird was also in the closing credits. Needless to say I got a little emotional when some of the cast members were hugging him. It wasn't the normal hug they give...you can tell by the look in their eyes they were hugging one of their childhod heroes. A children's icon.

And for the record- while I tried to avoid joining this conversation- let me just say right now is bittersweet moment to be a Big Bird fan. Yes our old feathered friend is finally getting some major press and is back in the spotlight, BUT the story behind how and why he's getting it just sickens me. I hope the folks at SS follow this with some more positive press for Big Bird - like a new viral video or something, similar to Cookie's. Let's be reminded of WHY we love Big Bird, instead of worrying about what his fate will be.

And let me just say once more, I LOVE BIG BIRD SOOO MUCH!:wisdom:
  4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

That was a pretty good bit. Glad they got him on!
    SSLFan likes this.
  5. ProboSowa

ProboSowa Member

Vincent Liu likes this.
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

We know the reason why, but for those of you that missed last night's surprise performance, here it is:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/update-big-bird/1419930

Caroll really took a moral high ground, and I applaud him for it.

However, if there's one image that I'm never going to forget, it's that Big Bird was also seen at the closing curtain call. And at least 2 cast members gave him a huge hug, both with child like wide eyes. That was the most adorable thing I've seen in some time. :wisdom:
  7. zns

zns Active Member

It just goes to show how special a character he is to Sesame Street and the world. It's that personality that Caroll Spinney gives to Big Bird that makes everyone love him. A wonderful video. Thank you for sharing.:wisdom:
    Phillip likes this.
  8. Uncle Deadley

Uncle Deadley New Member

9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Nice to see that even Big Bird himself can make light of a very heavy situation.

Buh-dum-bum-kSSH.
  10. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

That was very cute! It's good to see that Sesame Workshop and Carroll Spinney are showing a sense of humor about this situation.
  11. Facebones

Facebones New Member

My favorite part was Seth Myers telling a more raunchy joke after that segment, then looking off stage and asking "Big Bird left already, right?"
  12. WebMistressGina

WebMistressGina Well-Known Member

I missed this last night, but yay for Big Bird! Just like the Muppets themselves, BB was never really out of the spotlight and we can see by the millions (and it was like millions) of people who set Twitter ablaze on Thursday that PBS is a station that has literally helped to teach millions of kids to count, to read, to discover places they may never go to, science, etc.

While I'm not gonna go political about this, I think Neil DeGrasse Tyson had the best quote to explain the utter stupidity that cutting funding to such an educational station is like -

"Cutting funding from PBS is like removing text files off your 500GB hard drive"

It's basically the notion that cutting funds from PBS does nothing to cut down any type of budget that our (US) government spends. It's the equivelent of taking text files (which are incredibly small) off a 500GB HD in order to save space instead of, oh I don't know, removing the 420GB of files and applications that aren't being used.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  13. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Ha, I'm glad it was SNL that got Big Bird to say its piece instead of the news media.

I must say I'm glad to see Sesame Workshop staying above all this political stuff and staying true to the message it delievers each day to the families of the world. :wisdom:
  14. JR

JR New Member

PBS doesn't need the money though, especially Sesame Street which pulled in 140 million in merchandising sales on its own! Removing the government subsidy would not affect anything at all except removing the strings of government from its productions.

I don't like seeing Big Bird used as a political tool, and it was a poor example to use when discussing taxpayer subsidy of PBS. I don't think they should've allowed Big Bird on SNL. I like the publicity, but I would much rather it was in some kind of viral video than being a ludicrous political football.
  15. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I was long asleep when this aired, but this is very funny! Good for Carroll for staying politically neutral, too! :)
  16. Briarosethorn

Briarosethorn New Member

This may be true for Sesame Street, but for other educational shows trying to get off the ground it isn't. It specifically isn't for the station itself.....the PBS stations may not be able to afford to get Sesame Street aired on their channel. They cut the budget a few years ago and a lot of stations had to cut their programming. if funding is cut, Sesame Street may have to be aired on Nickelodeon or Disney channel where instead of the government who "controls" them, its corporations who only want your money. I don't think Sesame Street will be as effective with commercials.

I don't think this will have anything to do with Mitt Romney winning or losing. This fight for PBS has been going on for a long time. If we all care about PBS, then we can all stop it from happening either by calling our congressmen, or by simply donating to our local stations.
    newsmanfan and jvcarroll like this.
  17. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

That was capital A-dorable :)
  18. ivanova

ivanova New Member

It was a great appearance, loved it.
  19. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I don't like Big Bird being used as a political tool either. You're right in that Sesame's slice of federal funds is so small that it isn't really needed. However, PBS is needed to distribute the commercial-free program and they do need federal funds even though it only makes up less than 15% of their budget.

Big Bird's performance on SNL was sweet and exactly what was needed to keep things in perspective. I don't see why anyone but an Oscar the Grouch would want to humbug at it.

It is important for a successful society to fund the arts, sciences and education. This means privately, commercially and yes, some federal funding too. It's another form of America's infrastructure. These areas are just as important to our landscape as roads and bridges. They give us the next generation of innovators. The federal investment is incredibly small, yet needed. Complete privatization of everything is not the answer. America is a blending of ideas and methods and should remain so. We shouldn't surrender everything to private industry.
    newsmanfan, Drtooth and Briarosethorn like this.